[Kotaku] "MSFT taught me..." Downloads coming to Playstation Now Later This Year

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm so tired of reading this idiocy.
PS2? Maybe. It would be emulated so likely glitches here and there. PS3? With the CPU in the PS4? fukk no. Only fools with no common tech sense would believe it possible.

An i3 6100 is murdering a jaguar 8 core.
No the fukk it's not. You made that up :comeon:

You are a "fool" with Sony stan narratives running through your mind

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Ok so I just read that they (msft) have to recompile each game for x86 and let the Xbox One run it like that.

So the Xbox one is not emulating the 360, it’s just recompiling code ? If that’s true I wonder can Sony do this :patrice:

Edit: nvm they don’t recompile game code. My fault.

“Basically, we have a VGPU - or an Xbox 360 GPU that we've recompiled into x86 - and we run the entire 360 OS stack," explains Bill Stillwell, Xbox Platform Lead. "We take each game, we recompile it so that it runs, but basically we're running it still in a 360, and the team goes through the game with multiple passes."- Xbox

Last edited:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
nikka you the one repeating Sony stan lies and calling people "dumb"

:mjlol:
I build PCs and work with computers daily. My opinion is my own, formulated with amateur experience. I don't really fukk with that video game wars bs these days. I simply dislike disinformation peddling. Go try the next nikka
Ok so I just read that they (msft) have to recompile each game for x86 and let the Xbox One run it like that.

So the Xbox one is not emulating the 360, it’s just recompiling code ? If that’s true I wonder can Sony do this :patrice:
THIS makes sense. If you look at it from a high levels, both companies used powerPC designs but Sony had to do the most with they shyt, so its very likely that emulating the cell is very inefficient for performance targets required.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I build PCs and work with computers daily. My opinion is my own. I don't really fukk with that video game wars bs these days. I simply dislike disinformation peddling. Go try the next nikka
You just peddled the "misinformation"

Not based on your own research or expertise, but only based on things you've read other people say on forums.

Your "opinion" isn't your own. And hardware capabilities is not an "opinion" type of thing.

:ufdup:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
You just peddled the "misinformation"

Not based on your own research or expertise, but only based on things you've read other people say on forums.

Your "opinion" isn't your own. And hardware capabilities is not an "opinion" type of thing.

:ufdup:
Nah. Couple Google searches will get you what you need. Close comparison to PS4 processor is old ass FX 8350, of which is actually stronger than the jaguar core in the PS4. That shyt has about 1400 CPU benchmark score single thread. The lowly i3 6100 is around 2100 marks.
Yes, the PS4 is 8 core, but I believe 2 are reserved. Also, emulation is more weighted towards single thread performance.
So while I'm sure Sony has some type of proof of concept set up with regards to emulation of 3 to 4, I HIGHLY doubt it would run well. Usually perfect emulation requires an order of magnitude more computational power.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Nah. Couple Google searches will get you what you need. Close comparison to PS4 processor is old ass FX 8350, of which is actually stronger than the jaguar core in the PS4. That shyt has about 1400 CPU benchmark score single thread. The lowly i3 6100 is around 2100 marks.
Yes, the PS4 is 8 core, but I believe 2 are reserved. Also, emulation is more weighted towards single thread performance.
So while I'm sure Sony has some type of proof of concept set up with regards to emulation of 3 to 4, I HIGHLY doubt it would run well. Usually perfect emulation requires an order of magnitude more computational power.
nikka went from "I'm a computer pro" to "google searches"

Again. Random internet nerds have a bunch of PS3 games working.

PS4 is an "order of magnitude" more powerful than PS3

If Sony wanted emulation they would have it. They got TLOUR working with extra P'S and FPS and that's probably the most intesive game on PS3 by far.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
nikka went from "I'm a computer pro" to "google searches"

Again. Random internet nerds have a bunch of PS3 games working.

PS4 is an "order of magnitude" more powerful than PS3

If Sony wanted emulation they would have it. They got TLOUR working with extra P'S and FPS and that's probably the most intesive game on PS3 by far.
Indeed, I am a fukkin computer pro, so the fact that all you need is logic and Google searching skills to form a reasonable fact based hypothesis says a lot :hhh:
The PS4 GPU might be an order of magnitude stronger, but the CPU is not.
You and these false equivalencies :snoop:
It's almost if I'm arguing with one of "those" people. Im done with the back and forth, you got it

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Indeed, I am a fukkin computer pro, so the fact that all you need is logic and Google searching skills to form a reasonable fact based hypothesis says a lot :hhh:
The PS4 GPU might be an order of magnitude stronger, but the CPU is not.
You and these false equivalencies :snoop:
It's almost if I'm arguing with one of "those" people. Im done with the back and forth, you got it
Sony was the only one on earth to release a CPU in 2005 more powerful than the CPUs released ten years later.

Why the fukk aren't we still using "cell" CPUs in 2018 breh?:mjpls:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm shocked someone like @LÍQUIDO is dapping nonsense Meach is spewing. Like, a few google searches could educate you guys. TLOU Remastered is not being emulated, it was ported and it was really difficult.
Bridging the generation gap: Porting games to new platforms You're supposed to be a tech guy but you refuse to read some shyt that's readily available online explaining the shyt :mindblown:?

You guys are making dumbass equivalencies by mentioning ports of PS3 games recompiled to PS4 as if that's the trump card. "Aha!" Like sit down :dahell:

The most baffling point is @MeachTheMonster keeps going "but but there's games running on RPCS3! why can't sony do it!?" but he REFUSES to mention the specs that's running those games and even then how "functional" it is. Flickering graphics, slowdowns.

Ports are not emulation. Ports are the game code itself recompiled and adapted and fully optimized to the hardware itself, which is incomparable. Emulators are usually brute force affairs that have no fine tuning applied, it is literally running the original game code on the pure brute force of the hardware components.

The main processor (PPU) of PS3 is actually almost the same as the three CPUs in 360 - the big difference are the SPUs.
Yep, and it's the SPUs that cause all the trouble. The SPUs are very limited on what they can do, but what they can do they did incredibly well back in their day, and still do at a decent speed.

As a rule of thumb, you need about 10x more processing power than the system you want to emulate. The PS4 CPU isn't close of being there when it comes to the PS3 SPUs while also emulating the PS3 PPU.

TL:DR

It's a lot of leg work just to try and port a game over so getting the game running like native through brute force on the PS4 for PS3 BC is just not feasible.

2ndly, there's no incentive for them to do so. MSFT was the one that needed goodwill and a bigger library.

Third, if you're that pressed for BC then buy an Xbox.

So basically, what your saying is, your disingenuously comparing MS's 360 to XB1 method to PS3's architecture, saying Sony could just "do the same thing if they wanted"(which is completely untrue due to the different architectures) and then using that to push your original narrative of "Sony just want to sell you old games".

Okay, now atleast i know its pointless to talk with you about it. Good day.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm shocked someone like @LÍQUIDO is dapping nonsense Meach is spewing. Like, a few google searches could educate you guys. TLOU Remastered is not being emulated, it was ported and it was really difficult.
Bridging the generation gap: Porting games to new platforms You're supposed to be a tech guy but you refuse to read some shyt that's readily available online explaining the shyt :mindblown:?

You guys are making dumbass equivalencies by mentioning ports of PS3 games recompiled to PS4 as if that's the trump card. "Aha!" Like sit down :dahell:

The most baffling point is @MeachTheMonster keeps going "but but there's games running on RPCS3! why can't sony do it!?" but he REFUSES to mention the specs that's running those games and even then how "functional" it is. Flickering graphics, slowdowns.

TL:DR

It's a lot of leg work just to try and port a game over so getting the game running like native through brute force on the PS4 for PS3 BC is just not feasible.

2ndly, there's no incentive for them to do so. MSFT was the one that needed goodwill and a bigger library.

Third, if you're that pressed for BC then buy an Xbox.
Believe what Sony tells you Sony stan brehs:mjlol:

What else were they supposed to say? "shyt was easy, only took a couple guys in a basement":stopitslime:

If you can "port" one game you can emulate them all(most).

All they'd have to do is apply whatever code they came up with on a system level.