Kobe and Gigi Bryant Memorial Thread (RIP)

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
Right now the signs point to pilot error. He went to 2200 feet to try to get out of the clouds, then descended while turning left (presumably to get lower and out of the clouds) and then hit the hill, possibly due to low visibility so he didn't see it in time as he was going down.

The question is, what happened that caused him to turn left and descend that rapidly? The NTSB lady said they descended at a rate of 2000 feet per minute. Was the pilot just disoriented due to the fog and trying to get out of it? People say you don't even know which way you're turning, etc. in that level of fog. Or did something happen to him or the helicopter?

It was about one minute from then the left turn/descent started to when the impact happened. I hope Kobe and the other victims weren't aware of what was happening :mjcry:

Look at this, you can't even tell which way the helicopter is going in all that fog

All those hours of flying and it only took seconds to fukk up and kill everyone. SMH

tjax03

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Right now the signs point to pilot error. He went to 2200 feet to try to get out of the clouds, then descended while turning left (presumably to get lower and out of the clouds) and then hit the hill, possibly due to low visibility so he didn't see it in time as he was going down.

The question is, what happened that caused him to turn left and descend that rapidly? The NTSB lady said they descended at a rate of 2000 feet per minute. Was the pilot just disoriented due to the fog and trying to get out of it? People say you don't even know which way you're turning, etc. in that level of fog. Or did something happen to him or the helicopter?

It was about one minute from then the left turn/descent started to when the impact happened. I hope Kobe and the other victims weren't aware of what was happening :mjcry:

Look at this, you can't even tell which way the helicopter is going in all that fog

Just posted it

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
Seriously, what does it matter? It was a tragic accident. Yes it could have been avoiding. Blaming the pilot isn't going to bring any of them back. That pilot lost his life. That pilot had a family that is devastated right now. We need to stop looking to blame people. It doesn't fix shyt. All this talk about the pilot is starting to become irritating.
When one of the most popular ppl on the planet dies like this, ppl want to know if it was avoidable. And most certainly was.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Hi kid,

I'm the guy in the white jersey in this picture, and it took me two days to process what has happened.

Hi kid, I was saying... To me you will forever be that nice kid at the Piattelli Trophy in Montecatini Terme in 1989: a scrawny kid with the longest legs, with lively eyes and a smile that would have, later, charmed not only basketball but the world as a whole.

A kid that one night, thirthy years ago, did something unique and unrepeatable: step on the court alongside your father "Billy Joe", with the "grown-ups" during the Finals of a summer tournament, with his jersey down to his knees and the shamelessness of Champions, even if you were only eleven. You tried to leave a mark on the game, to be a protagonist and not just an extra, like you would have done later and for the rest of your career.

The Finals of a summer tournament, probably one of the most important tournaments at the time, played in Montecatini during the best years of basketball in Tuscany; on the court there were only adult players, from Serie A, Serie B, Serie C and Serie D; from Montecatini, Pistoia, Livorno, Siena and Florence: nobody wanted to lose, it was serious business...

Matters of local rivalries and honor, "italian suburbs" stuff, but feelings and emotions that you would have brought, with your immense talent, to basketball overseas.

"A kid on the court, how cute!", was the thought of the 1,000 people on the stands, among them your mother, that looks at you, entranced.

"A kid on the court, what a bore!", the athletes thought.

"What am I supposed to do now?", the thought of the man that had to guard you.

And that man, for better or for worse, was me, a mediocre player from the lower Tuscan divisions.

The kid catches the ball... And I tell myself "don't move, don't do anything... It's a kid!"

The kid shoots from 3... Nothing but net, the crowd goes wild, my teammates show signs of disapproval.

On the next play, the kid gets the ball again... I think "get closer, but don't raise your arms... It's a kid!"

The kid, careless, shoots again from 3... and he scores again! The crowd shouts again, my mates grumble again, my coach that didn't want to lose (nobody did) calls a timeout and demands me to defend.

We get back on the court.

Again the kid has the ball.

The whole arena wants the kid to shoot. And cheers him.

All my teammates want me to defend. And shout "don't let him shoot!"

"F- me" I think "what should I do now?"

I get closer to the kid and with my eyes I try to tell him "don't do it, please"

No chance, he's got only sheer determination in his eyes (was the mamba mentality already there?)

The crowd is out of their minds: shoot! Shoot again!

I raise my arms without even looking at the kid.

As reckless as before, he takes the ball, bigger and heavier than him, and shoots it.

Unintentionally and inevitably, I block the shot: what's his mother going to think about me?

The arena screams disappointed at me, my mates keep on playing like nothing ever happened...

I start laughing facing this tragicomical situation and tell the coach "either you bench me now or you're coming here and guard this kid!"

Right... The kid... That kid, that in a few years would have given to basketball so many emotions that nobody could ever imagine, including the best love letter, the best farewell that anyone has written.

Goodbye kid...

Now you'll make angels fall in love with basketball: every basket a divine "plan"!

Maybe one day we'll play again 1 on 1, and, without any doubt, you'll give me back that ridiculous block, while your daughter will watch us and laugh.

Farewell, Kobe. It has been beautiful.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Shaq talking about the missed hall of fame opportunity has me feeling some kinda way right now. As a Spurs/Duncan stan, I was looking forward to hearing Kobe sound off on their wars and Tim no-selling the importance of their rivalry like always. I know it's a Kobe vs. LeBron rivalry based on pure athletic talent, but to me the real one will always be Mamba vs. Fundamental.

BBXo6Bx.img
I mean who else could it be? Spurs and Lakers won 8 out of the 10 rings of the '00s. They were in 9 of the 10 Finals.

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
I just keep thinking about the night before he died and I was complaining about the fog to the homegirl. We both was like this shyt is spooky. It dont usually be foggy like that at 10pm at night. Why the fukk would fly in that kinda weather. Whoever greenlit that is gonna get sued. That pilot needed approval from someone. And I bet those families sue Kobe's estate. Shyt will no doubt get ugly.

Yeah I was watching a lot of videos related to this tragedy during the course of the day, and one was a crime and law youtube channel and this lawyer who specializes in aviation cases was being interviewed, and he said that it's basically a given that Kobe's estate would get hit with a lawsuit of some sort.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
At this point as someone who was too curious and read books that detailed what really happened to the victims of 9/11 it’s extra hurtful that people from a wide range keep saying Kobe had time to react and as much as we love him it’s just not true and it hurts to visualize it

I saw a Draymond interview not to long ago doing it and it’s fukked up we have too much information like the fact it took so long to recover the bodies and ID them

:mjcry:

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Seriously, what does it matter? It was a tragic accident. Yes it could have been avoiding. Blaming the pilot isn't going to bring any of them back. That pilot lost his life. That pilot had a family that is devastated right now. We need to stop looking to blame people. It doesn't fix shyt. All this talk about the pilot is starting to become irritating.
Yea this is kinda where im at. Blaming folks wont cure the reality of the situation. Even if the pilot was the ultimate moron he surely paid the ultimate price. Sometimes shyt just happens. Even if we knew the precise cause it wont answer the question as to why them at that moment.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I lost all respect for D. Whistle. he made that segment all about himself and his "greatness". Totally classless.

Nah. He was talking about how humbling it made him feel that a guy who he looks up and defies would actually ask him for advice. It would be like Jordan asking Kobe for advice on something basketball related. I'm sure Kobe would have considered it incredibly humbling as well.

D-Wade has always been the most open superstar when it comes to Kobe and how much he looked up to him. Considering they were contemporaries and rivals I always found everything he said about Kobe to be incredibly sincere.