Kobe and Gigi Bryant Memorial Thread (RIP)

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
L.A. weather was extremely foggy Sunday morning, and law enforcement sources tell us even LAPD air support was grounded because of it. Flight tracker data shows Kobe's chopper appeared to first encounter weather issues as it was above the L.A. Zoo. It circled that area at least 6 times at a very low altitude -- around 875 feet -- perhaps waiting for the fog to clear.

We know the pilot contacted the control tower at Burbank Airport around 9:30 AM PT, and the tower was aware the pilot had been circling for about 15 minutes. The pilot eventually headed north along the 118 freeway before turning to the west, and started following above the 101 freeway around Woodland Hills, CA.

At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather -- as in seriously heavy fog -- and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet.

However, moments later -- around 9:45 AM -- they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.
:snoop:

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
They hit a mountain with little visibility at almost 200 mph. They probably didn't even realize what happened.

Yeah, that's actually probably for the best. Instead of some dramatic ass spin out with the pilot being unable to get control of the plane.

funkee

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX
So the pilot flew into a mountain because the lack of visibility...fukking shame man. :snoop: I've seen people say that they imagine Kobe just telling his daugher everything is going to be ok, but the reality of it is they may not have even had time to react. In a sense, I almost prefer it that way. Apparently before Aaliyah died, her body went into a state of shock and she had a weak heart knowing what was coming. That just makes it all the more tragic to me. I hope it was fast and painless. :mjcry:

if they ran into a mountain like they said in poor visibility, they likely hit abruptly and at 161 knots (185 mph). they most likely were dead immediately on impact before they even realized what was happening/happened, at least I pray that.

JordanWearinThe45

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
if they ran into a mountain like they said in poor visibility, they likely hit abruptly and at 161 knots (185 mph). they most likely were dead immediately on impact before they even realized what was happening/happened, at least I pray that.
Man why be going that fast if you cant see??!?!! You know the area you;re in might have mountains and shyt. Slow the fukk down, get your bearings and get to safety. Make an emergency landing once you can see if need be

supertrekker

Superstar
Daps
Seen in the news that the helicopter had to get special permission to even fly through that zone. According to the radar the helicopter was hovering in the same spot for like 15 minutes waiting for approval. Once they got let through it looks like they made a sharp u turn and started losing elevation and then crashed into a hill. Just sounds like the pilot shouldn't have been flying in those weather conditions period. I was driving in the morning and you could barely see 20 feet ahead of you in some areas. shyt is just sad man.

It really bothers me knowing that this was so preventable. Like really, it's foggy and you can't see your hand in front of your face. Why fly a helicopter when you shouldn't even be driving a car. And who the hell gave the pilot clearance to do so.