Albums Killer Mike - "Michael" (Discussion Thread)

Superstar
Daps
He went full libertarian KRS-one who thinks he’s a civil rights leader. Dude likes to hear himself talk. Went from underrated to just trying to be everywhere. it’s weird

Still think he wasted too much time on RTJ

:manny:
If you ever sat down and spoke with him in real life (he’s always down to have lunch with anyone he meets) you’d feel different. He hit a point, more than a decade ago, where he got tired of yelling “someone should say/do something about this” and decided to be the person to say something.

It doesn’t come easy for him, he’s always apologizing for what he perceives as mistakes (speaking without putting what he feels wasn’t enough thought into something), and always trying to learn from everyone around him.

He wanted to be a better example and pretty much dreaded the whole “rapper lifestyle”. He does very well for himself and genuinely, damn near desperately wants to everyone else to do the same.

If he never spoke at all he’s be accused of looking the other way, like MJ and Jay-z with their silent donations. He could have said fukk it, got on some love and hip hop shyt, and cashed out long ago. I don’t even always agree with the stuff he says, but the years spent randomly chopping it up with him will always make me a supporter of his continued growth.

mbz

Pro
Daps
He went full libertarian KRS-one who thinks he’s a civil rights leader. Dude likes to hear himself talk. Went from underrated to just trying to be everywhere. it’s weird

Still think he wasted too much time on RTJ
It's called growth. If you are the same person you were 10 years ago, then you fukked up lmao

Also, all that time he "wasted" in RTJ is what catapulted his career, status in hip-hop, and influential figurehead in Atlanta.

But leave it to posters in coli to provide better career advice. Maybe he shoulda just stopped at RTJ1 and enjoyed a stagnating career collabing with ATL artists that are no longer relevant in 2023 :mjlol:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The hook on the album version is edited but on the single it’s not. Weird.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
I thought there would be 30 pages on this shyt. Album of the year contender and nobody gives a fukk. Nas album would have 300 pages by now. SMFH

Killer Mike said he took over 2 and half years working on this and you can definitely tell. Songs are well produced. Live instrumentation, layers. Themes. Dave Chappelle cameo. Spittin. Bro is str8 spittin and y’all sleepin
Why the hell would you think an artist with a small fan presence on the Coli would have 30 pages?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
If you ever sat down and spoke with him in real life (he’s always down to have lunch with anyone he meets) you’d feel different. He hit a point, more than a decade ago, where he got tired of yelling “someone should say/do something about this” and decided to be the person to say something.

It doesn’t come easy for him, he’s always apologizing for what he perceives as mistakes (speaking without putting what he feels wasn’t enough thought into something), and always trying to learn from everyone around him.

He wanted to be a better example and pretty much dreaded the whole “rapper lifestyle”. He does very well for himself and genuinely, damn near desperately wants to everyone else to do the same.

If he never spoke at all he’s be accused of looking the other way, like MJ and Jay-z with their silent donations. He could have said fukk it, got on some love and hip hop shyt, and cashed out long ago. I don’t even always agree with the stuff he says, but the years spent randomly chopping it up with him will always make me a supporter of his continued growth.
here's the thing though, if you were an actual Killer Mike fan, you knew like 15 years ago that he was nice. He just had to chase the bag and got addicted to being asked his opinion. I mean it's all good, but at some point I just kinda get tired of the talking and less of the entertaining.

The type of people like Charlamagne who love this album are themselves pushing this whole "mental health" and "healing" angle but are also the ones getting duped by republican hot takes and falling prey to that black conservative circular argumentation. It's all tiring.

Plus the older I get I see Killer Mike's perspectives a little differently. Its not as revelatory as I once thought.

Superstar
Daps
here's the thing though, if you were an actual Killer Mike fan, you knew like 15 years ago that he was nice. He just had to chase the bag and got addicted to being asked his opinion. I mean it's all good, but at some point I just kinda get tired of the talking and less of the entertaining.

The type of people like Charlamagne who love this album are themselves pushing this whole "mental health" and "healing" angle but are also the ones getting duped by republican hot takes and falling prey to that black conservative circular argumentation. It's all tiring.

Plus the older I get I see Killer Mike's perspectives a little differently. Its not as revelatory as I once thought.
I didn’t say anything about simply being a fan. A bunch of us, out here, handed out CD’s for the man as teenagers and young adults. Many of use still attended events or hung out as adults too. I’d literally spent years talking to dude and watching him grow.

I don’t think you read my comment at all, and just went ahead with whatever feelings you had in your head. I said from the jump, you can easily find the man, go chop it up with him, and see who he is for yourself. It’s useless, applying whatever mental picture you’ve made up about him.

Your assessment couldn’t be more wrong, breh. He’s a pretty left-winged person, or will try things to see if they work. If the idea don’t work it goes back on the shelf.