Albums Killer Mike - "Michael" (Discussion Thread)

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
I want to like this album. On paper it has top notch production, it has great raps, great features, etc…

But for whatever reason I just feel :unimpressed: while listening. And idk why…

I like Killer Mike as a rapper…him as a person is another story cause I don’t agree with his political views and when I hear him speak in interviews he always comes off like he is the smartest one in the room.

I try not to let that blind me when it comes to his music, but for whatever reason this album isn’t hitting me like it’s hitting everybody else.

Gotta sit with it more I guess :yeshrug:

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
here's the thing though, if you were an actual Killer Mike fan, you knew like 15 years ago that he was nice. He just had to chase the bag and got addicted to being asked his opinion. I mean it's all good, but at some point I just kinda get tired of the talking and less of the entertaining.

The type of people like Charlamagne who love this album are themselves pushing this whole "mental health" and "healing" angle but are also the ones getting duped by republican hot takes and falling prey to that black conservative circular argumentation. It's all tiring.

Plus the older I get I see Killer Mike's perspectives a little differently. Its not as revelatory as I once thought.
That part right there….all of that..

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Good album. I can hear a big OutKast influence, and most of the beats are dope. Some songs do feel too preachy for me but its good to hear more fleshed out songs after a decade of rappity rap.

As far as the RTJ debate, El-P made better beats before RTJ. I think there was a conscious decision to make the beats simpler and put the spotlight on the rapping.

I like RTJ but I think their solo albums are better. I would love a new El-P album too. Mike said RTJ5 is done though so an El solo is probably way off. RTJ4 was their best so far so hopefully they can build on that.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Good album. I can hear a big OutKast influence, and most of the beats are dope. Some songs do feel too preachy for me but its good to hear more fleshed out songs after a decade of rappity rap.

As far as the RTJ debate, El-P made better beats before RTJ. I think there was a conscious decision to make the beats simpler and put the spotlight on the rapping.

I like RTJ but I think their solo albums are better. I would love a new El-P album too. Mike said RTJ5 is done though so an El solo is probably way off. RTJ4 was their best so far so hopefully they can build on that.
This is also true, cause I actually enjoyed R.A.P. Music. I don’t know what it is but the RTJ albums to me come off as corny, cheesy and doing to much. Wish there were alternate versions of those albums like Apollo Brown doing The Brown Tape for GFK.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
carl-chef-kiss.gif

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
This smooth as hell. Wouldn't have had Cool N Dre as the wizards behind it right off bad but they smoked it....Could hear Gibbs goofy ass on the remix easily. They need another Palmolive oil link up anyway.

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
I dont get the hate for RTJ at all. All 4 are bangers.
For me, the RTJ sound/EL-P sound got played out, especially when you have an artist like Killer Mike that can rip other producer sounds. I liked the fact his music career stayed afloat, but damn I wanted to hear him more on new production badly.

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
This n1gga and Gunna have incredible Production. How n1ggaz with quadruple the budget putting out trash:what: