Keri Hilson: “I broke up with a man early on because he was self sufficient. He didn’t need me.”

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is not going to be fun to hear for the ladies but in relationships for me, life gets sloppier rather than more organised and tended to. I lead a very simple life with a structure that minimizes and streamlines the upkeep. This gives me more time and mental space to do other things like keep in shape or eat better. Where when i'm with someone, women tend to have more wants in the moment that they put time and energy in. If you can be with someone who is on your page in this aspect..it's a good thing. You can help each other lead a calm and productive life, with more time for having fun and taking care of yourselves.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
Smart-Select-20231219-194956-Video-Player.jpg

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
It depends on how self-sufficient that person is and if they're willing to let someone get close.

A lot of people are too accustomed to being on their own and self-sufficient to the point that it's hard for them to date and let someone in their space.

Successful relationships should be more about meeting of the minds and combining each other's wealth. Unfortunately people see a relationship as some handicap support partnership

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Have heard that before. People view relationships in drastically different ways. To me, ideally, both people are self sufficient and happy, and meet in the middle. For others, it's very different. For me, it's I like that person for THEM, not for what "real value" they bring to my life. it's more like you like hanging out, having sex, having fun.

if someone is very traditional, they will probably want that like Hilson describes, gives a sense of purpose. And a sense of security, that you are needed and therefore not easily replaceable. Want someone to need them, because it is a source of role behavior and self identity. I read it in a James Baldwin book a long time ago, something about a woman wants to feel like a woman, and if she doesn't....

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Where is the proof she actually said this? It's a screenshot from snapchat and then some text beside the screenshot. :dead:
True but the context is realistic enough you can still have a conversation about it :manny: if you're over 30 and have your shyt together you've probably attracted some woman who was really didn't bring anything outside of affection/sex, but the devil is in the details, did she TRY to do anything special for you? If the answer is no, then the reality is she really didn't want to put forth any effort beyond what she'd regularly do for herself

Have heard that before. People view relationships in drastically different ways. To me, ideally, both people are self sufficient and happy, and meet in the middle. For others, it's very different. For me, it's I like that person for THEM, not for what "real value" they bring to my life. it's more like you like hanging out, having sex, having fun.

if someone is very traditional, they will probably want that. Want someone to need them, because it is a source of role behavior and self identity. I read it in a James Baldwin book a long time ago, something about a woman wants to feel like a woman, and if she doesn't....
Those things are basic necessities for any adult tho, that's not something special for you to be impressed by, she'd be cooking and cleaning by herself anyway

That's not real effort, she just wants you to do less so she feels like she's bringing something to the table

Luckily I've dated women who would go the extra mile to do stuff, so I know what effort looks like, random baked goods sent to my job for me, hand making cards, good birthday gifts, etc. It's the thought that counts forreal. When's the last time a chick asked you what your favorite animal was and then randomly got you something based on it? That's what a thoughtful partner will do forreal

Basic home upkeep shouldn't be viewed as some special act of love imo

I learned from that and started doing the extra things in relationships myself :ehh: shyt goes a long way

alot of people really pull up putting minimal effort forward and expect you to fall in love with them somehow :mjlol: