Kendrick Not Allowed To Talk About Politics Anymore In Interviews?

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Oh, its me. Not the K.Dot/J.Cole fans who are raising them up to be this generation's Ice Cube & Chuck D?

People set themselves up for disappointment all them time due to unreasonable expectations.

I expect rappers to rap. Reasonable expectation. The end. I'm happy as fukk.

You want rappers to be heroes, leaders of movements, & political activists. Unreasonable expectation. :umad:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
when you are speaking on racial topics involving black folks(oppressed people). sorry ..you cant "let the music speak for itself" maybe on some other topic. but not this one.

Says who?

Especially when he's much better at putting his thoughts in song format than he is at articulating them in interviews. This wasn't like Tetsuo and Youth where you need a decoder ring...everything was straight forward in regards to his perception of self and the events in front of him. And very little of it was political in nature if you really think about it.

When you consider the reactions from BOTH SIDES of the argument (black *insert social media*/fox news) when he's decided to stumble around political talking points, it makes perfect sense to stop feeding people who are going out of their way to misinterpret what you say and feel.

You cant throw stuff out there and duck from the onslaught of either side of the coin(PC black folks, PC white folks, white racist, c00n black folks. or black fist pumping black folks.) MAN UP and deal with it. express yourself.

Look at this shyt.

:childplease:

Like I said....he gotta say what people want him to say, when they want, where they want, to who they want, in the format they want. fukk THAT. He expressed himself just fine with the album.

See what you fail to realize SunZ is this. what kendrick was saying came from his heart. BUt its also that New black era as well. Thinking they have to be the in the middle black guy that knows all blacks aint good, and they feel the need to tell whites "look see, i'm not saying all blacks are good. i know a lot of us do bad... i know this and that about us like you say is true."
STOP IT. but he doesnt know to STOP IT unless he addresses it, and some true Pro black person with knowledge kicks the facts to him. so the next time you hear him talking about blackness. he understands "this aint the time or place to play the middle man card. its ride for your people like everyone else rides for theirs. this is CHESS not checkers. OR dont ride at all." But you cant get that intel if you are too afraid to express yourself even outside of the album

Again, you saying what he said came from the heart "BUT...."

That's where you have drifted off into your own projection of who Kendrick Lamar is. HE CLEARLY LIVES A CONFLICTED EXISTENCE, the album title says as much. You call it "new black" or trying to ride the fence, I call it honesty and easily more relevant to the average black man his age, especially from the hood.

When did he claim to be the bastion of pro-black-ness? That's what yall wanted to see him as. Soon as that vibe shyt hit, everybody was like "i thought he was the one!" :laugh:

YOUR FAULT

He has never claimed to be wize intelligent or anything of the like, he simply tells his stories and perspectives. The fact that he's a black man in America means that race will be at the forefront of it. Him talking about it, even making it a central theme in the times we live in that are far more COMPLEX than black/white doesn't mean he is obligated to speak for black people en mass. That's why he's saying that the people who got what he meant got it because they're living it...he wasn't talking to yuppies, he was talking to the nikkas that grew up like him who are too busy dodging bullets from other black folk to say "hotep".

Stop making this kind of music if you dont want to talk about it.

what makes him more special then all that have come before him in every genre that had to man up, about what they were preaching on the album. thats your sermon. talk about it if you believe in it. OR shut UP and hit us with the club songs or some smokers music or some other nonsense that aint conscious.

This a case of him dropping the album and immediately went silent. He has talked about it, clarified statements, offered rebuttals and ultimately felt disrespected that people who feel so entitled to forming HIS opinions for him started c00n calling because they didn't "get" where he was coming from. Next thing you know he's on fox news for inciting violence against police...

So you got an album..you got interviews and statements, you got him clarifying statements when attacked for speaking his mind...now that wants to bypass the sensationalism and let the record do what he created it to do, you want more? Tell me what else does he need to explain that he hasn't in song or in interviews thus far?

You only have 5 mins to say something on a song, and you have to rhyme while doing it. odds are you couldnt fit everything in. So you need that interview to flesh the rest out so the listeners can understand where you're coming from.

So you need that interview to flesh the rest out so the listeners can understand where you're coming from. Unless you're just playing that racial card because you know thats whats hot in the streets today. meaning you really aint down like that or care like that. you over here trust trying to capitalize off of something..

:snoop:

Did you listen to this album at all breh?

I'm not even a fan of TPAB but from the title, from track one til the end of the album...the concept is PRETTY fukkING FLESHED OUT. It's the main reason why it's so highly acclaimed.

And while i'll agree that social justice is marketable right now but that doesn't mean he's not speaking his heart. I don't think him shying away from giving out free clickbait to bloggers and "journalists" means he's being disingenous. I just think you, and others have an image of Kendrick that has NEVER been a reality.

Last edited:

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
:snoop: I don't even know breh. At this point, it's best just to let these nikkas cook.

The album is more of a PERSONAL album than Political. He's not on there calling Obama a terrorist like Lupe

They can't even see how they have created this thought-form of another grown ass man that has nothing to do with reality.

Last edited:

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
The
3kkpkfo-gif.3195

:dead:

WuDatWuDat

All Star
Daps
:snoop: I don't even know breh. At this point, it's best just to let these nikkas cook.

The album is more of a PERSONAL album than Political. He's not on there calling Obama a terrorist like Lupe

It's more that most conscious rappers are actually passionate about what they're rapping about, so they actually want to be involved in inciting change. I'm not sure political is 100% accurate to describe TPaB, but he's rapping about something meaningful and an issue in American culture, so it would be natural for anyone to expect him to be willing to answer questions regarding the topics he discusses on his album. Whether you like it or not, artists like Lupe and Pac and Tech and Lowkey have set the bar for conscious rap by participating in interviews, rallies and other things. Should he have to? No. But it's the precedent with rappers that actually rap about issues to do so.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
That's his fault for saying he's the closest thing we have to a preacher.
nikkas can say whatever they want, but as a listener you gotta have common sense, i don't blame dude for sayin it if that's how he felt, but i do get heated at the dumbasses who believe it

not one of these rappers are political scientists, none of em go to school or study socioeconomic matters at a high levels or do anything close to it, they just put poetic words together over music. you might have a few who impact the fashion world like kanye, or dudes who come up with new mottoa or catchy phrases that go national (drake) but outside of that, (in 2015) none of these dudes have any real power or enough knowledge to help others empower themselves

shyt always annoys me when i see grown ass adults puttin rappers on pedestals like that, like nikka you could easily go read and book and get these same "gems" that nikkas swear these rappers be droppin :snoop:

but i guess music is a form of mind control so it's expected :manny:

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
nikkas can say whatever they want, but as a listener you gotta have common sense, i don't blame dude for sayin it if that's how he felt, but i do get heated at the dumbasses who believe it

not one of these rappers are political scientists, none of em go to school or study socioeconomic matters at a high levels or do anything close to it, they just put poetic words together over music. you might have a few who impact the fashion world like kanye, or dudes who come up with new mottoa or catchy phrases that go national (drake) but outside of that, (in 2015) none of these dudes have any real power or enough knowledge to help others empower themselves

shyt always annoys me when i see grown ass adults puttin rappers on pedestals like that, like nikka you could easily go read and book and get these same "gems" that nikkas swear these rappers be droppin :snoop:

Being the poets of our time isn't a small thing, but if that's what they do, let them do THAT.

Being that you (them, they) probably aren't gifted with that particular talent, either be inspired by his work, or do like you said and find those gems elsewhere, apply them so you can play your part. He's doing his job, he's not a scholar, or an activist just because he spoke his mind on something that affects us all.

Last edited:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

I agree with you, but these rappers start feeling themselves and they are able to connect with people emotionally so people start to project things on to them that are not there. I'm just saying that J. Cole was smart enough to say on NPR that he's not a leader and that he does not know the laws or history. That is the sign of intelligence--knowing what you do not know. Kendrick embraced it and even when he got criticized questioned why we were so quick to attack our "leaders" as if him being a good musician made him a leader. Kendrick is just a rapper to me and 85% of my annoyance with him in any way is because of his fans and what they project on him. He seems like a good dude who is learning like most people do.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
:snoop:
I'm convinced these nikkas never listened to the album

People set themselves up for disappointment all them time due to unreasonable expectations.

I expect rappers to rap. Reasonable expectation. The end. I'm happy as fukk.

You want rappers to be heroes, leaders of movements, & political activists. Unreasonable expectation. :umad:

:dahell: then, why r u aggy over my opinion on Kenny? I'm not one of those ppl I've mentioned.

@KP I haven't heard it, yet, I'm basing that on the reception and the way cats on here and Twitter talk about it.

@loyola llothta :hmm: I don't like when ppl respond to my post with articles and videos

Speak up, what am I supposed to get out of that?

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I like how Kendrick fans in here acting like they talking us off a cliff,and were the ones who are disappointed:mjlol:....People been calling dude a phony and accusing him of only rapping the pro black shyt for money,and not coming across as authentic for a while now:pachaha:

Its been yall fellow stans telling nikkas they need to support and never talk bad about Kendricks music because of what he stands for as a black man for a while now:troll:...Yall been defending every c00n statement saying he was just misunderstood or misquoted...nikkas even defending who the fukk he decides to date "Bu bu but he met her before he became awoke yall:whoa:"

Now here you are today,sitting here smugly talkin bout "He's just a rapper its not that deep:sas1:"

Don't try to flip the script now,nikkas been tellin YALL "He's just a rapper,and possibly not a authentic one:sas2:" and yall been going wild and negging anybody who had the audacity to question his authenticity....the argument started because YALL though he was more,dont try to flip it like it was the other way around now:russ:

BTW shame on yall who believed,for losing hope after this one article,guess you got sick of fightin tooth and nail like you been doin:francis:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
:dahell: then, why r u aggy over my opinion on Kenny? I'm not one of those ppl I've mentioned.

@KP I haven't heard it, yet, I'm basing that on the reception and the way cats on here and Twitter talk about it.

@loyola llothta :hmm: I don't like when ppl respond to my post with articles and videos

Speak up, what am I supposed to get out of that?
from the interview he clearly want to be bigger than rap(he want to be an icon like bob Dylan when comes to music). this album he wanted to be revolutionary change the way we(black) go about speaking to each other, community etc.

now his fans(in this thread) are saying he was never on that tip(black conscious/pro-black) ..... negus