Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

A.V.

reTIreMEnt: THE ALBUM (01/22) ALL DSPs
Daps
Reppin
#AnyCityGang
shyt don't change, until you...get up and wash yo ayssssss, nigguhh...
full

shyt don't change, until you...get up and wash yo ayssssss...........
boiiiiiiiiiiii :damn::ufdup:

Bilal is :wow: Ain't been checkin for him for years, last thing I really heard him on was "Failthful" by Common and "Fallin'" by Jay, but damn if this nikka doesn't got a criminally underappreciated voice. So much soul brehs, :mjcry: And the way he manipulated his voice for the song makes it even more :wow: worthy. This is truly an incredible album, man...The whole "atmosphere" of the shyt can literally pick you up and take you somewhere completely different, like a good ass, immersive movie or book, just like GKMC. Son has a knack for crafting these types of projects. And to still be as cohesive as it is, with an overall message, without sacrificing lyricism or production is absolutely incredible. Real talk, this album is a mixture of:

OutKast/Solquarians soulfulness and subject matter...Tupac's balance of street credibility and a desire to uplift Blacks as a community...and Kanye's (MBDTF) creativity & ability to pull together artists and musicians to use as cogs in a larger picture. When you think about how much WORK went into this album (for fukks sake, GEORGE CLINTON, Pete Rock, Thundercat, Snoop, Dre, Pac, the Isleys, countless others)...The samples, interpolations, publishing that had to be cleared, royalties that'll be paid out to these iconic, timeless BLACK artists and musicians...It's fukkin unreal. As much as I'm blown away by the album and the music itself, I'm equally blown away by the collaborative genius that it took to put it together.

I'm literally :mindblown: every time I listen to this shyt...

Last edited:

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
shyt don't change, until you...get up and wash yo ayssssss, nigguhh...
full

shyt don't change, until you...get up and wash yo ayssssss...........
boiiiiiiiiiiii :damn::ufdup:

Bilal is :wow: Ain't been checkin for him for years, last thing I really heard him on was "Failthful" by Common and "Fallin'" by Jay, but damn if this nikka doesn't got a criminally underappreciated voice. So much soul brehs, :mjcry: And the way he manipulated his voice for the song makes it even more :wow: worthy. This is truly an incredible album, man...The whole "atmosphere" of the shyt can literally pick you up and take you somewhere completely different, like a good ass, immersive movie or book, just like GKMC. Son has a knack for crafting these types of projects. And to still be as cohesive as it is, with an overall message, without sacrificing lyricism or production is absolutely incredible. Real talk, this album is a mixture of:

OutKast/Solquarians soulfulness and subject matter...Tupac's balance of street credibility and a desire to uplift Blacks as a community...and Kanye's (MBDTF) creativity & ability to pull together artists and musicians to use as cogs in a larger picture. When you think about how much WORK went into this album (for fukks sake, GEORGE CLINTON, Pete Rock, Thundercat, Snoop, Dre, Pac, the Isleys, countless others)...The samples, interpolations, publishing that had to be cleared, royalties that'll be paid out to these iconic, timeless BLACK artists and musicians...It's fukkin unreal. As much as I'm blown away by the album and the music itself, I'm equally blown away by the collaborative genius that it took to put it together.

I'm literally :mindblown: every time I listen to this shyt...

The soulfuless just uplifts your mood.

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
Please explain these walls to me.

Was there a deeper meaning behind it?

:patrice:

Besides the song being about sex and Kendrick fukking the dude who killed his friend's girlfriend... one could also argue that the Walls are about him still being in a coc00n as a caterpillar, still being trapped in his environment and mentality, even though he made it out of the hood. But the walls start to cave in on him, which is why the song then leads into u, where it's self-hatred.

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
First listen is very hard my dude the album is a grower.

shyt soon as u get through that second listen you start to appreciate it breh.

I don't know how naggers like it from the Go cause i thought it was ok on first listen . I'm now on my 20th and this shyt is just amazing my dude .
Same here breh. At first listen I was expecting spazz happy take no prisoners Kendrick. Because of Blacker The Berry im like yeah he bout to go off on this. Then this smooth bouncey beat come in and im like "oh hes goin the Colbert Report performance direction.

I was kinda thrown off at 1st listen. That's the same way I felt when I first heard Lupe's album. Then I immediately gave it a 2nd listen. I was floored from the jump. The flows, lyrics, guest features, hooks, production, transition, and changes through out the album was insane. This the type of album u have to play straight thru. I love it.

Once u get out the GKMC mindset and open up to this and take it in you'll feel it. Samething with Lupe's Tetsuo & Youth. I was in the Logic's Under Pressure mindset goin into it. So once u clear your head and take in the overall feel of these projects u will be amazed.

Depending on your taste in music ofcourse. Just like D'Angelo's album. I don't know wtf he's talking about and I don't care. The production melodies flows energy and just the mood/feel of the album is enough for me to call it a modern day classic.

And it's not about tricking yourself to like a album (Im not a dikk rider) It's putting yourself in a mood to listen to it. I would do that for a lot of artists. I don't give everybody a chance like that

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Same here breh. At first listen I was expecting spazz happy take no prisoners Kendrick. Because of Blacker The Berry im like yeah he bout to go off on this. Then this smooth bouncey beat come in and im like "oh hes goin the Colbert Report performance direction.

I was kinda thrown off at 1st listen. That's the same way I felt when I first heard Lupe's album. Then I immediately gave it a 2nd listen. I was floored from the jump. The flows, lyrics, guest features, hooks, production, transition, and changes through out the album was insane. This the type of album u have to play straight thru. I love it.

Once u get out the GKMC mindset and open up to this and take it in you'll feel it. Samething with Lupe's Tetsuo & Youth. I was in the Logic's Under Pressure mindset goin into it. So once u clear your head and take in the overall feel of these projects u will be amazed.

Depending on your taste in music ofcourse. Just like D'Angelo's album. I don't know wtf he's talking about and I don't care. The production melodies flows energy and just the mood/feel of the album is enough for me to call it a modern day classic.

And it's not about tricking yourself to like a album (Im not a dikk rider) It's putting yourself in a mood to listen to it. I would do that for a lot of artists. I don't give everybody a chance like that

You think so? Nah i agree about D'Angelo it was hard to understand barely any shyt he was saying but for Kendrick i think it was real simple to hear his verses on this album. Its just that your so captivated by how smooth the album is things can go over your head the first time....but D'angelo was just straight up being a mushmouth....

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
You think so? Nah i agree about D'Angelo it was hard to understand barely any shyt he was saying but for Kendrick i think it was real simple to hear his verses on this album. Its just that your so captivated by how smooth the album is things can go over your head the first time....but D'angelo was just straight up being a mushmouth....
Nah I was just talking strictly D'Angelo when I said that. But yea with Kendrick the beats are so bouncey melodic and psychedelic that your just entranced in the mood that u almost dont care what he's saying. That's how I felt. But yea I would have to read the lyrics eventually. I got the message overall.

Side bar:

Shyt im currently workin on this house mix on my dj equip and I really really want it to flow like these albums. I've been practicing for weeks.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I said this before guys but god damn "i" is really growing on me. Obviously Im talking about the version on the album but im also referring to the single he came out with months ago. Both sound smooth as helll...and I love the last verse he makes on the original version....

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
First listen is very hard my dude the album is a grower.

shyt soon as u get through that second listen you start to appreciate it breh.

I don't know how naggers like it from the Go cause i thought it was ok on first listen . I'm now on my 20th and this shyt is just amazing my dude .

I liked it from the go you silly Nagger.