Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
saw this written by a poster on Complex. thought it was interesting.
DGIsAWinner • 2 days ago
To Pimp A Butterfly is the story of where Kendrick was/is in his life post-GKMC:

— Wesley’s Theory — He doesn’t want to be another Wesley Snipes (i.e. snatched up by critical acclaim and fame at an early age). Young Wesley was featured in a Spike Lee film when he was still considered an avant garde director and in Michael fukking Jackson’s first post-Thriller video for Bad directed by Martin Scorese…that’s pretty famous, pretty fast. Why? What’s the outcome? The government/America/the powers that be — the “Uncle Sam” the woman will get to “fukk you up” referenced later — will come bearing down you. Just like they did Wesley…

— For Free? — …and guess who the woman talking is portraying during this piece? That’s right she’s America/powers that be. Everything she wants are the things Kendrick doesn’t want to become. Kendrick’s response? “This dikk ain’t free”. He doesn’t play by the machine’s rules. And the response from America/powers that be is “nikka you ain’t no King!” Hence, the next track…

— King Kunta — This track begins the thread of self-doubt masked in braggadocio contained throughout the entire album until he reaches self-actualization — “i love myself!” — at the end of the album when he becomes a Negus. Hence the introduction of the poem that tells his state of mind post-GKMC at the end of this song. This track is critical in understanding this album. He’s becoming to realize he’s a slave to the powers that be and this is his response as a black man. “He’s mad…but he ain’t stressin!” He’s accepted his fate. And what happens when you accept your fate to the powers that be? You become…

— Institutionalized — This song is his justification for why he’s become “institutionalized” — i.e. giving into fame/powers that be for the sack of his art — and reasons why he will NEVER become institutionalized all the same. Hence Snoop giving the biographical recap of just who Kendrick is. This continues the poem’s (“i remember you were conflicted…”) story. This internal conflict leads to...

-- These Walls -- it's Kendrick's confession that he has in fact "made love" with the powers that be and its a marriage is one of convenience. This leads to his breakdown. The "I can't believe myself and who I'm becoming" state of mind that leads to...

-- u -- Kendrick's self-doubt officially becomes self-loathing. He's taking himself to the woodshed and doing some real self-reflection. This is probably the most straight-forward message on the album. But, he's trying to overcome this state of depression and reminds himself that he's gonna be...

-- Alright -- the beginning of the "pick himself off the mat" state of mind. But, before he can completely overcome his struggles with doubt, denial and depression, he's faced with his biggest challenge yet...understanding he is in fact...

….. I have to go, but will be back to complete this for those who care. But, I will say this: it’s best to view this more as an audiobook than album. You’ll appreciate more. Not being pretentious. Just being honest. I’m floored with this concept and him using ‘Pac circa ’94 as inspiration. ‘Pac was leading a movement of hood nikkas. Just like Kendrick is on the album cover. He just had to become strong enough to handle the responsibility.

This isn’t just Section.80 2.0, it’s the mission he’s been on since then. Deep shyt, man. A literary masterpiece…

• noavatar92.png

DGIsAWinner DGIsAWinner2 days ago
    CONT'D...

-- Alright -- the beginning of the "pick himself off the mat" state of mind. But, before he can completely overcome his struggles with doubt, denial and depression, he's faced with his biggest challenge yet...understanding he is in fact...

-- For Sale? -- Lucy (or Lucifer) -- is enticing Kendrick more than ever by directly letting him know what material possessions the powers that be can provide for him. There's a reason this is posed as a question in the title. Kendrick doesn't know the answer. And to discover the answer, he needs to go home to...

-- Momma -- Kendrick goes home to be reminded of what's most important to him and to begin to gain his confidence back. Hence the constant reminder that "i know everything..." throughout the track. Once he realizes he has the answers, he's ready to take on this burden of fame, etc; however, while he's home, he realizes that things in his hood still aren't right. He's made it, but his hood (Compton) is left behind to deal with the perils that come with poverty, being a black man, etc. His homies thinks he's changed and start playing...

-- Hood Politics -- This song begins with what is one of Kendrick's OGs making fun of what Kendrick has become and they barely recognize who he is now. And with that, Kendrick begins to "fight back" and his defense mechanism is to remind all of these guys who thinks he's changed that they are "boo boo". However, what if they are right? And if so, the question is...

-- How Much A Dollar Cost? -- ....part 3 coming shortly, but again. I would really suggest to those who like the album and what Kendrick's trying to accomplish here that DO NOT SHORT CHANGE this project by comparing it to other hip-hop albums!

The beats are providing a backdrop -- similiar to a movie score -- and should not be your central focus. There's a reason there's little-to-know "bars" (i.e. memorable lines, etc.) on the album: it's a story, not merely a collection of songs.

• noavatar92.png

DGIsAWinner DGIsAWinner2 days ago
    CONT'D - THE FINALE

-- How Much A Dollar Cost? -- A deep question, and again, no answer is given. But what's key is Kendrick's confidence is beginning to show flashes of its old self. Going back home has Kendrick asking himself the right questions and with the help of the OGs/family/his girl/religion, he has a renewed sense of purpose and pride (black pride to be specific). It's also important to contextualize the '94 'Pac influence again. '94 'Pac was arguably one of the most known "black" revolutionaries of his time -- Farrakhan was still foremost -- and it's clear the Kendrick is beginning to sense the same responsibility to his community. And much like 'Pac in '94, he has the vision and purpose, but no answer...

-- Complexion -- This is what I'd imagine is his ode to black pride and will go down as one of Kendrick's definitive tracks whenever his career is complete. What's THE most powerful moment of this track is the inclusion of a woman, which is a fantastic as it reinforces the notion of black women being just as important to black community and culture as the homies he's trying to reach. And now, think about the single cover for the next track (a woman breast feeding...)

-- The Blacker The Berry -- This phrase is commonly referred to reinforce black pride in black women and their complexion (remember this song?). Again, an exploration of black pride, but also an acknowledgment and act of consciousness. He now knows he's a hypocrite as much of his views conflict with and even oppose one another. This is again another layer of his renewed responsibility to continue to ask tough questions without providing answers. He hopes to get the answer later (this is why the ending is sooooo important)...

-- You Ain't Got To Lie (Momma Said) -- Through going home -- hence the Momma Said in the title) -- he discovers purpose, renewed confidence, pride in his community, pride in his race, etc. and now he's nearly reached the stage of self-actualization: realizing exactly WHO he is "you ain't got to lie to kick my nikka" (i.e. be yourself) and most importantly...love yourself.

-- i -- This is his moment of self-actualization. He's ready to carry the torch. But again, this comes with a burden. He's shunning fame/powers that be and doing things his way (there's a reason this was chosen as the initial single. It was this story carried out in real life...he shunned expectations when this single was released last year). However, with this power comes great responsibility. He's ready to lead. And as with any man looking to lead his people, he has accepted his fate, and he accepts the fact that he is a...

-- Mortal Man -- Kendrick has accepted his responsibility, found his purpose and now (as anyone must do when they assume the mantle), he's seeking guidance. He knows who he is. But he still doesn't have the answers. And in seeking to get the answers, he presents 'Pac with his backstory -- THE SIX-PART POEM -- and hopes to get answers and wisdom...who was the ultimate mortal man in hip-hop? Tupac Shakur.

No answers are yet given, but this is a story of how they (America/powers that be/your own self-doubt) tried to "pimp" (lose self-identity and self-worth for material gain) a "butterfly" (a beautiful and now powerful black man).

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dead Prez has more white fans than black fans, so that doesn't surprise me

I think that's my only beef with albums like To Pimp a Butterfly. It's too abstract and weird for the average hood nikka to fukk with, even though the messages are specifically made for them. It's another reason why early Ice Cube was so brilliant. He took complex themes and broke them down and conveyed them in a way that the average hood nikka could understand

i listened to death certificate again yesterday for the first time in a while. cube in his prime is one of the most natural rappers ever. maybe thee most. easily top 5. and that album is a fkin masterpiece.

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
One thing I noticed about this album is that as it progresses and Kendrick's mentality matures and he becomes the "butterfly", the music gets simpler and more modest and more stripped down with less things going on. The first half has a million beat switches, instruments flying everywhere, random people harmonizing, unorthodox song structure, but that kind of ramps down towards the end. It seems like it's signifying the clarity of the confusion and franticness of his "caterpillar" mentality as he settles into his own skin and is now comfortable with himself.
Oh shyt. I just thought they were hot ass beats

time for another listen

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
"Lucy" is Lucifer trying to tempt and corrupt Kendrick

DMX had a similar concept with his "Damien" series

even had a similar voice

I think I've read before that DMX was the first rapper Kendrick idolized and the one that sparked his love for hip hop.. I might be thinking about someone else but coulda swore it was K. Dot who said this..

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
anyone else think it's interesting that after Kendrick explains the album's concept to Pac at the end, Pac doesn't answer and the album ends abruptly?

Wondering if that's Kendrick's way of saying that the album's theme is open to interpretation
It could also mean that Pac doesn't know the answer since he was killed before he could find out.

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
my fav track is complexion ...

the only thing is i changed rhapsody - she got a nice coffee shop flow but her voice is only so so

imagine a lauryn hill verse :noah:

pete rock voice still sounds like it a sample from 1992 :to:

I want a new pete rock album bruhs :mjcry:

Doin2Much Williams

Grace Under Fiyah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Insignificant posting from an insignificant poster
What you think?

First listen...

Honestly fam? For me to say, this is the listener/fan that's been around since the mixtapes of Sir Kendrick and adored this cat as he was such a breath of fresh air (well... at the time, but that goes for the TDE label all together)...

I don't know guys.

Golden Era jazz-influenced rap is some of my favorite shiit to hear, and the soulquarian/neo-soul genre came at a time when i just started college - so that was my bread and butter, but from one semi-thorough sit down and gauge of this lp, initial reactionary response i'd have to give the nod to Lupe's Tetsuo effort.

Appreciated is K Dot's direction and keeping it cohesive.

Obviously, like the rest of y'all, i'm gonna need more time with this.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Listen to the first two verses he's not just talking about hitting some p*ssy but fukking his enemies girlfriend (the one who killed his homey Dave in GKMC)

The third verse is about the homie in cell (walls) while Kendrick smashes his bytch as an act of revenge because he only got indicted instead of dead

THESE WALLS IS ONE OF MY FAV SONGS ON THE ALBUM..:salute:

Thundercat basslines are just too :ohlawd:
:ohhh:

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
after days of playing the album i have to say, as great a piece of work i think it is, i don't see myself listening to that often.
will end up being a now and again album...a sunday album.

even the strongest records on here i don't feel the need to go and pick one out and put it on repeat....i enjoy them more in the album setting.
its the gift and a curse of the album.

its not an album or mixtape i'm going to batter through for a few weeks and then its bushes status.. its an album i enjoy from start to finish (even with its tiny missteps) and when i do play it once in a blue moon i'll probably enjoy it as much as i did the first time i heard it.

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
First listen...

Honestly fam? For me to say, this is the listener/fan that's been around since the mixtapes of Sir Kendrick and adored this cat as he was such a breath of fresh air (well... at the time, but that goes for the TDE label all together)...

I don't know guys.

Golden Era jazz-influenced rap is some of my favorite shiit to hear, and the soulquarian/neo-soul genre came at a time when i just started college - so that was my bread and butter, but from one semi-thorough sit down and gauge of this lp, initial reactionary response i'd have to give the nod to Lupe's Tetsuo effort.

Appreciated is K Dot's direction and keeping it cohesive.

Obviously, like the rest of y'all, i'm gonna need more time with this.

First listen is very hard my dude the album is a grower.

shyt soon as u get through that second listen you start to appreciate it breh.

I don't know how naggers like it from the Go cause i thought it was ok on first listen . I'm now on my 20th and this shyt is just amazing my dude .

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
I think I've read before that DMX was the first rapper Kendrick idolized and the one that sparked his love for hip hop.. I might be thinking about someone else but coulda swore it was K. Dot who said this..
No you are correct. That's why I think he does that shyt with his voice.