Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
Just got this...

Bouta to listen for the very first time.

There's at least 4 disapproving commentaries to every 10 commending posts.

If this shiit actually bangs... i'm going to all the naysayers homes and punch them between the ass cheeks.

What you think?

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kendrick "misusing his influence" to sleep with the girl of the guy who killed his homie while he's locked up.

"So when you play this song rewind the first verse
About me abusing my power so you can hurt"

Every time I listen to it I feel I get a new meaning but that was the one that stood out to me on 1st couple listens :ohlawd::scust:

Shout out to the birthday girl say hey

and the whole "abusing my power" line ties back to the overall album theme of black culture being "pimped" and "exploited."

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I realize how brilliant this album is

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
I liked it. I call it a Neo-Soul Rap album. It's not as heavy as Lupe's new album but it's good music with good messages. That last track with Tupac had me trippin when I first heard it. I wasn't expecting that shyt at all!

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Lucy" is Lucifer trying to tempt and corrupt Kendrick

DMX had a similar concept with his "Damien" series

even had a similar voice

Absolutely.

Thank good for the album I idolized
its dark and plus hell is hot, thats the start of this crazy ride

Lil homie been showed X love for that album. X had a big influence on him

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Kendrick "misusing his influence" to sleep with the girl of the guy who killed his homie while he's locked up.

"So when you play this song rewind the first verse
About me abusing my power so you can hurt"

Every time I listen to it I feel I get a new meaning but that was the one that stood out to me on 1st couple listens :ohlawd::scust:

Shout out to the birthday girl say hey
:ohhh:

okocharuud

<<<<<<OG Member >>>>>PS5- Pattricckk
Daps
Reppin
:mjpls:
Only song I could do without is These Walls.

Dope way to spin a sex song but I wasn't tryna hear about Kendrick beat up some p*ssy LOL

Listen to the first two verses he's not just talking about hitting some p*ssy but fukking his enemies girlfriend (the one who killed his homey Dave in GKMC)

The third verse is about the homie in cell (walls) while Kendrick smashes his bytch as an act of revenge because he only got indicted instead of dead

THESE WALLS IS ONE OF MY FAV SONGS ON THE ALBUM..:salute:

Thundercat basslines are just too :ohlawd:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
anyone else think it's interesting that after Kendrick explains the album's concept to Pac at the end, Pac doesn't answer and the album ends abruptly?

Wondering if that's Kendrick's way of saying that the album's theme is open to interpretation

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I seen a lot of people talking about the album on Twitter about how white people are "supposed to hate this album." Personally I don't get that.

they said the same about yeezus
and white people liked it more than nikkas:skip:

Dead Prez has more white fans than black fans, so that doesn't surprise me

I think that's my only beef with albums like To Pimp a Butterfly. It's too abstract and weird for the average hood nikka to fukk with, even though the messages are specifically made for them. It's another reason why early Ice Cube was so brilliant. He took complex themes and broke them down and conveyed them in a way that the average hood nikka could understand

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
Dead Prez has more white fans than black fans, so that doesn't surprise me

I think that's my only beef with albums like To Pimp a Butterfly. It's too abstract and weird for the average hood nikka to fukk with, even though the messages are specifically made for them. It's another reason why early Ice Cube was so brilliant. He took complex themes and broke them down and conveyed them in a way that the average hood nikka could understand

white people with access and privilege love being told how much they suck; makes them feel less attached to the system; without having to change it ..

its poor people without access that wild out