Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
SIXTY NINE OUT OF SEVENTY FIVE REVIEWS are 5 star brehs!!! :damn: :damn: :damn:

And the amazon reviewers arent just putting one word reasons why they are all making posts the same size of us why

Anbesa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
OK brehs I made a mistake of shuffling through this album and finally listened to it from start to finish and damn its amazing. I was struggling to follow the concepts and structures at first but the poem at the end of mortal men tied it together.

The album starts with his beginning as a caterpillar, trapped, confused, struggling. He's unsure of himself. Wesleys theory, institutionalized, and these walls show this, all leading to u, his lowest point. At first I felt king kunta was out of place BC of the braggadocious nature of the song but I now I feel its a metaphor for all the proud rappers and black men that like to brag, show off and stunt, not realizing that they are still slaves to the system. Or maybe he does realize that but bragging to hide that he's struggling.

A lot of people are saying that the album picks up or changes at Alright. Well it seems intentional to me. This when the the transformation starts to happen and he's in his coc00n. He starts to have more awareness of his surroundings and how the hood is affected. Hood politics, how much a dollar costs, and complextion. This is all leading to his self acceptance in I.

I what I got from it so far but I get something new from it every listen. Album is a classic to me fukk anyone else's opinion.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Man this shyt takes me straight back to like the early 2000s when I was a little kid and common badu mos was getting constant play by all the grown ups and shyt :kobewow:

Common did get play, but they took a backseat to all the commercial shyt back in the early 00s .

But Thank God that spirit of that quality of music lives on with this :blessed:

koopz

Pooh
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
this album is just beautiful.... had me tearing up :wow: cant see how anyone can not feel this
Kendrick just came through and reset the scales, lotta artists gonna have to scrap some projects and start over
A 7/10 before this is now a good 5. Compton should be proud :obama: birthed a fukkin genius out there
And that ether from These Walls was just....:huhldup:gonna be some Shawshank Redemption "Brooks was here" vibes in that cell :mjcry:

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
this album is just beautiful.... had me tearing up :wow: cant see how anyone can not feel this
Kendrick just came through and reset the scales, lotta artists gonna have to scrap some projects and start over
A 7/10 before this is now a good 5. Compton should be proud :obama: birthed a fukkin genius out there
And that ether from These Walls was just....:huhldup:gonna be some Shawshank Redemption "Brooks was here" vibes in that cell :mjcry:

It's fukked up in a way too, morally speaking. A lot that lies underneath the track.

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
Just heard the whole album for the first time today. :banderas: Now listening to it for the third time today. Fam!!! This shyt hotter than GMKC! :damn: This short-ass genius did it again!! Got me two stepping and actin' a fool in public.:stylin: This nikka man.:wow:

:what:Why are some nikkas hating on this beyond cac levels of hate? Y'all got me worried and shyt for nothing. :rudy: This shyt bangs! :ahh:
Sure the beats sound different, but not unheard of if you remember joints from the 90's. That "You ain't gotta lie" (a personal favorite) joint is a lot like that Q-tip ft. Janet Jackson song from back in the days, I forget the title. The one with the Jodi Mitchell Big Yellow Taxi sample, mixed in with 2pac's Do For Love.

Plus the parallel between hood politics and money trees – Bish = Boo Boo for one – makes this record not at all unfamiliar from GKMC.

:why: What's wrong with y'all nikkas man? I was starting to think this was gonna be some Yeezus type of shyt (I don't listen to that record at all, even though I respect it), and the fact that I'm a skeptic by nature only made me start to rationalize the reasons for K.Dot to have succumbed to the pressure. Before even listening to the album.
On the other hand, cacs not liking this soulful ass album just makes it that much better. :banderas: It's too early for the C-word but I can see myself bumping this album with my son/daughter in the car, especially that Alright and Complexion joint.:ohlawd: My little ones gon' have to hear Rapsody tell them that their shades are beautiful as soon as they get out the womb!
:salute: to the homie Kendrick Lamar. Compton's got the juice brehs. :wow: