Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
I totally disagree, I think the album starts off perfect, and starts to to go downwards towards the middle, then quickly jumps back up

I feel what u saying about his skits, but he is making this album for the masses, he not just making it for us hip hop heads who study the lyrics. And tbh most Normal listeners would not be able to tie the story together without the skits
Nah... like to me the only weakness in Nas I Gave You Power was the unnecessary prologue at the start that gave it all away. I also don't think listeners should be spoon-fed concepts. If they don't get it, they dn't get it let them just like the beats and rhymes and hooks. The album already isn't really fro the masses so why bog-down the project? I don't think you need to study the lyrics either to get it. Especially between the first 3/4 tracks.

The skits make the album too long. IMO the themes here are a lot stronger than GKMC so they don't need the skits.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I totally disagree, I think the album starts off perfect, and starts to to go downwards towards the middle, then quickly jumps back up

I feel what u saying about his skits, but he is making this album for the masses, he not just making it for us hip hop heads who study the lyrics. And tbh most Normal listeners would not be able to tie the story together without the skits
I don't know... I think they would because Kendrick is the "one" right now... so with multiple listens and the hype surrounding him, people would dive into the record and figure it out.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
It's not meant to be a funk album tho, it's still rap at the end of the day
Okay so let's not give it props for the reference to different genres. It doesn't capture the essence. What good is being inspired by George Clinton if it's not funky like George? Oh I forgot - you get the aesthetic, which is important for pseudo-intellectuals.

Two of Kendrick's biggest influences are classic West coast productions and OutKast which both heavily derive from Funk. The former in literal samples and interpolations and the latter in feel. Kendrick missed the feel totally imo.

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
some of the ideas from pimp a butterfly come from YC The Cynic last album

he knows ab-soul and got a shout out by Fashawn recently

he got reviewed by fanatano

negus

The Pacs

• Dap
Reactions: RTF

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Posted this in another thread.

. I like trap music, I like Prince. I listen to Funkadelic & Gil-Scott Heron as much as I do Future & Gucci Mane. It's music, it's there to be enjoyed and to make me feel some type of way.

Overall, I don't think the execution of the album was great. It's such a thick and dense record that it's probably too long. I think if you make a record like this you need 3 or 4 easily digested records or you make it 3 or 4 records shorter. There's so many themes and ideas to this that in this day and age after 30 mins. all people have taken from the record is "this sounds jazzy, spoken-word like, Kendrick's got his dashiki on...". It is a record that's going to take for me, a few weeks to properly digest. I need to listen with no distractions or on autopilot. It's not GKMC where you can jam the first half of the record and like it without really listening.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
For an album that has a lot of funk influence, it's not very "funky" in the literal sense. It doesn't make you want to dance or seriously nod your head. I think it's a very well put together album at this point with some great highs. But a classic? Nah.
interesting..good point..

My boy is a big Kendrick fan and when the album leaked he fell asleep by track 4..granted it was late but that's basically been the real life consensus about how the album starts off atleast with people I know...but dude went back and listened to it and by the end..he was able to appreciate the beginning more...but I think it starts off kinda weak at first glance...

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Posted this in another thread.

. I like trap music, I like Prince. I listen to Funkadelic & Gil-Scott Heron as much as I do Future & Gucci Mane. It's music, it's there to be enjoyed and to make me feel some type of way.

Overall, I don't think the execution of the album was great. It's such a thick and dense record that it's probably too long. I think if you make a record like this you need 3 or 4 easily digested records or you make it 3 or 4 records shorter. There's so many themes and ideas to this that in this day and age after 30 mins. all people have taken from the record is "this sounds jazzy, spoken-word like, Kendrick's got his dashiki on...". It is a record that's going to take for me, a few weeks to properly digest. I need to listen with no distractions or on autopilot. It's not GKMC where you can jam the first half of the record and like it without really listening.
But should that be a knock on the album?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
King Kunta
Alright
Hood Politics
You ain't Gotta Lie
i
Mortal Man

All are easily digestible records IMO.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
interesting..good point..

My boy is a big Kendrick fan and when the album leaked he fell asleep by track 4..granted it was late but that's basically been the real life consensus about how the album starts off atleast with people I know...but dude went back and listened to it and by the end..he was able to appreciate the beginning more...but I think it starts off kinda weak at first glance...
I feel that, I feel the first 4 songs has 2 of the albums best songs on there track 1 and 4

A.V.

reTIreMEnt: THE ALBUM (01/22) ALL DSPs
Daps
Reppin
#AnyCityGang
damn i severely underrated you aint gotta lie. incredibly smooth :whoo:

these walls and wesleys theory still holding the top spot so far though

these sales numbers bout to be :wow:

Man if this album actually gets BLACK people out in droves buying, on top of those who were already gonna purchase it, he could set a record for this era. :noah:

And maybe the leak from Interscope was to shyt on Drakes record or test the waters :wow: who knows

kevthesureshot

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just listened to the album for the second time around with headphones. Got to catch some more of the layers of instrumentation and mixing effects. Like That acoustic bass on "How Much A Dollar Cost" Thundercat really did his thing on this. I wanna see how he attempts to perform this material live. Hopefully he can get the whole ensemble to do some shows.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:wow:

nikkas too caught up in labels and materialism like hoes. This is a paradigm shift in the young black mind.

Although old heads and hip hop wanna be purists will hate. This album will be looked at as one if the most important for black music. It is reflecting the atmosphere of black youth right now. We all are confused and betrayed and this is a clear reflection of our moods right now.