Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
It goes even further back than trap too. Remember when Crunk music was a thing? Cause Crunk is basically Trap without the 808s. And Crunk was surfacing... I wanna say around maybe 2004? So it'd be about 11 years running. I remember when D4L and Dem Franchize Boys were the hottest crew on TV, and everybody was doing the dances.

Yeah, it was Summer 2003 when Lil Jon blew up. Many 90s babies don't know anything else,but I'm glad that Kendrick came out and made something special with this album that will spark a change :banderas:

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
CLASSIC album..I might bump this for 2 months straight :ahh:

Top 5:

1. Momma
2. Mortal Man
3. These Walls
4. You Aint Gotta lie
5. Alright

ugh..fukk it, every joint on there is 5/5
that corny ass verse by rapsody tho. :beli:
Damn you didn't like Rapsody's verse? :what:

You're the first to hear say that

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
Yeah, it was Summer 2003 when Lil Jon blew up. Many 90s babies don't know anything else,but I'm glad that Kendrick came out and made something special with this album that will spark a change :banderas:

It will. You see, change is never accepted when it's first introduced. It's like putting a frog in a boiling pot; it's bound to react to the temperature. But, if you put a frog in the cold water and gradually turn up the heat... the frog won't know and by the time it DOES know, it's too late.

The same in this instance. You gotta walk people through it before they can accept it. It's a gradual thing. If you were to go full blast at change, it's no wonder you'll have people who will reject you. You're disturbing their reality and what they're used to.. people don't like change, they like comfort. But if you want change, you have to ruffle feathers. Because if you play it safe, you aren't making an impact.. and if you're not really making an impact, what's the point? Art is not only about challenging yourself.. but challenging your listeners as well. Nobody really challenges the genre except Kanye, and this is why the genre isn't progressing and upgrading the way it could be. We're still in the same spot, everybody's crying for change and nobody knows what to do. But the truth is, they DO know... they're just too afraid to do anything about it.

Ashtrey

Superstar
Daps
What exactly happened in 2012? Nas dropped Life Is Good, debuted at number 1, went Gold, was critically acclaimed and garnered 4 Grammy noms. NOBODY "forgot" about LIG simply because Kendrick dropped an incredible as well. And to suggest anything else would be the epitome of stupidity

Did LIG go gold? Last time I checked it was sitting on 350-380k? Just wondering cause I hoped it would at least go gold.

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
before I write this let me just say this, Im a kendrick fan so dont get all homotional. this is my opinion and Im entitled to it. so fukk off in advance.

wasnt feeling this Kendrick album at all. Man get that motown bullshyt out of here. funk died years ago. quit trying to be retro. move forward. I want to hear innovation, not something my grandma would bump.

this is good for LA sunshine cruising but I wanted to hear a hot album.