Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
It is just you fakkit, is it really a shock a dude that named himself "Negro_Napoleon" on Reddit and denied being black on TheColi wouldn't rock with Kendrick :russ:

You listening to Drake like you do is pure comedy too, anybody that reads your posts knows ain't many bytches checking for you, your posts exude such lameness. That's why you fukk with Aubrey so heavy, cause you listening and day dreaming a bytch would even be with you first in order to leave you :scust:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/oh-shyt.gif

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Just some quick thoughts on the album...

- I don't really fukk with the first half of the album. Nothing really grabs me. A lot of weird sounding hooks, that weird ass voice he does, and not enough rapping. Kinda just sounds like a clusterfukk.

- Because of such, it's almost like the first half of the album is an intro for the 2nd half... As dope as the instrumentation is throughout, it's almost like the album didn't even start until "Momma". Nothing really grabbed my ear like "oh shyt, let me stop everything I'm doing and really listen to this". Not even the emotion shown on "u".

- I'll never understand why Kendrick feels the need to do those damn vocal inflections, but it takes away from the music IMO.

- The 2nd half of the album is MUCH stronger than the first. Like I said, the first half almost seems like an appetizer for the main course.

- How Much A Dollar Costs is fukkin incredible. Almost frustratingly so. Like why couldn't the whole album sound like THIS?!

- He got washed by Rapsody on Complexion lol

- Mortal Man is probably my favorite track on here. Amazing way to close out the album. Much in the vein of How Much A Dolalr Costs, it's like fukk man, if there was less neo-soul/funk influence and he gave us 15 songs of THIS, it would have been an undeniable classic.

I applaud Kendrick for pushing the envelope solely for the sake of artistry. He could've taken the easy way out and came with a more "mainstream" album like a lot of dudes do on their follow up album, but this is undeniably HIS album and he was able to execute his vision without much influence from the label.

Now whether I agree with that vision is something different. The high points of the album to me are clearly How Much A Dollar Costs and Mortal Man. Those are flawless songs. I'm not even one of those "I only listen to hip hop music" dudes at ALL, but I would've liked to hear some more traditional rap influence. Also, less vocal inflections, as they ruined a few songs for me. It almost sounds like a neo-soul album with rap verses as opposed to a hip hop album with neo-soul influences. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the listener.

Album as a whole is "good", to me. Which is a tough concept to grasp on here for a lot of dudes that think everything has to be either classic or trash, but that's just what it is.
This album is hindered by its lack of originality if you ask me.

Theres way too much 90s/Early 2000s funk on here. Its like a Soulquarians album with Kendrick on the front cover.

Look at Jay Electronica's production styles. If Kendrick wants to rap like that, at least do it over NEW production

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
This album is hindered by its lack of originality if you ask me.

Theres way too much 90s/Early 2000s funk on here. Its like a Soulquarians album with Kendrick on the front cover.

Look at Jay Electronica's production styles. If Kendrick wants to rap like that, at least do it over NEW production

Can't disagree with anything you said. I think there could have been more done to "fuse" together the neo-soul sound with modern day soulful hip hop. It CAN be done.

Woodwerkz

R.I.P. King Bean #8 #24 and Little Deuce #2 Gigi
Daps
Reppin
Mamba Mentality # Kobe&GiGi. #LakerNation #LWO

wesley's theory is fukking piff homie

It opened the album perfect on the same vibe as

You can't help but nod to it with the :scust: face the whole time then by the end you're like:myman:

dope album.. :ehh:

so much quality hip-hop dropped this first quarter already..

no matter what- everybody eating good out here.. :blessed:

Exactly...if you are a fan of music then the past 4mths have been very good to you. It's something for everyone out there with more to come. Now if we can get the radio to diversify that program playlist then #theShift will be truly in effect.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
This album dropped and quite literally overnight, nikkas in the Booth have turned into funk/jazz connoisseurs :mjlol:

Yeah...you went from bumpin Gucci, Ross, and Drake....now all of a sudden you're dusting off Miles Coltrane and Parliament-Funkadelic records to appreciate songs Kendrick don't even sound comfortable on

Not saying it's not possible....but for YOU nikkaS? :laff:

There may not be an objective opinion on this album from this subforum until April-May :wow:
Ironically yea. I have been listening to Donald Byrd lately #detroit and wanted some George Clinton

Imma let you cook tho

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps
:ehh: I fukk with this album upon first listen. Definitely not what I expected... but definitely good shyt.

Being the fact I find it hard to listen to Kendrick for extended periods of time may hinder replay value (as it did with GKMC, but the album is undeniably good), I like this a lot.