Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
My issue is the standards other rappers are held to as opposed to people y'all like. I'd love to see the reaction of this album if Cole made it. I'm 100 percent sure most of y'all would be making sleeping jokes. I'm just tired of the dikkriding from grown ass men.
why so are you so conflicted and worried about chatty patty shyt. You either like the album or you don't. No need for deflecting ass narratives and ultimatums

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
Just some quick thoughts on the album...

- I don't really fukk with the first half of the album. Nothing really grabs me. A lot of weird sounding hooks, that weird ass voice he does, and not enough rapping. Kinda just sounds like a clusterfukk.

- Because of such, it's almost like the first half of the album is an intro for the 2nd half... As dope as the instrumentation is throughout, it's almost like the album didn't even start until "Momma". Nothing really grabbed my ear like "oh shyt, let me stop everything I'm doing and really listen to this". Not even the emotion shown on "u".

- I'll never understand why Kendrick feels the need to do those damn vocal inflections, but it takes away from the music IMO.

- The 2nd half of the album is MUCH stronger than the first. Like I said, the first half almost seems like an appetizer for the main course.

- How Much A Dollar Costs is fukkin incredible. Almost frustratingly so. Like why couldn't the whole album sound like THIS?!

- He got washed by Rapsody on Complexion lol

- Mortal Man is probably my favorite track on here. Amazing way to close out the album. Much in the vein of How Much A Dolalr Costs, it's like fukk man, if there was less neo-soul/funk influence and he gave us 15 songs of THIS, it would have been an undeniable classic.

I applaud Kendrick for pushing the envelope solely for the sake of artistry. He could've taken the easy way out and came with a more "mainstream" album like a lot of dudes do on their follow up album, but this is undeniably HIS album and he was able to execute his vision without much influence from the label.

Now whether I agree with that vision is something different. The high points of the album to me are clearly How Much A Dollar Costs and Mortal Man. Those are flawless songs. I'm not even one of those "I only listen to hip hop music" dudes at ALL, but I would've liked to hear some more traditional rap influence. Also, less vocal inflections, as they ruined a few songs for me. It almost sounds like a neo-soul album with rap verses as opposed to a hip hop album with neo-soul influences. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the listener.

Album as a whole is "good", to me. Which is a tough concept to grasp on here for a lot of dudes that think everything has to be either classic or trash, but that's just what it is.

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
I love this album musically.. I think unfortunately Kendrick doesn't do the beats justice on a lot of these songs. Not feeling a lot of the hooks and he need to drop the weird ass voices. He has ventured too far into "black Eminem" territory for me.

I agree with a lot of what @HacksawJimThuggin said a few posts up. Second half of album is really strong.. Hood Politics, Moral Man, How Much A Dollar Cost and Ain't Gotta Lie go hard to me, but too many skippable tracks on this album