Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Thats what I'll do. More than 1ce.

Its just not hitting me like it should though.

Section 80 hit me like :ohhh:
Habits and Contradictions hit me like :blessed:
Oxymoron hit me like :merchant:
These Days hit me like :whew:
GKMC hit me like :ehh:
This is hitting me like :manny:

I dunno what it is. I dont know how anyone can compare it to MBDTF either, especially this early. MBDTF hit me with all them smilies at once.

No it didn't. Control System did :ufdup:

Every song after U is what you would expect from Kendrick, anything before is pretty much experimental and hit or miss for most people.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
He won't because his approach to music is different. While Kendricks music has some depth to unpack, his approach is pretty straight forward. He's also trying to connect with the listener on a emotional level. I also feel like it's music 1st and message 2nd. Lupe can be very inaccessible as an artist in his music, and according to his fans, they like that his shyt requires a ton of deciphering for enjoyment's sake. Lupe can be very heavy handed with his lyrics over everything approach.
This just doesn't apply to his new album at all. Half the album is straightforward and can be taking in at face value.

Plus his performance on it is some of the best MC'in I heard in a while

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
He won't because his approach to music is different. While Kendricks music has some depth to unpack, his approach is pretty straight forward. He's also trying to connect with the listener on a emotional level. I also feel like it's music 1st and message 2nd. Lupe can be very inaccessible as an artist in his music, and according to his fans, they like that his shyt requires a ton of deciphering for enjoyment's sake. Lupe can be very heavy handed with his lyrics over everything approach.
Lupe also doesn't use skits with amazing spoken word for the listeners
Lupe also doesn't change his voice to connect his storytelling even more

Kendrick does this so perfectly though :wow:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I love it. Its a dope sounding album...but its not pushing any boundaries.

its just like a new jazz/funk album.
\But who cares if its pro-black? :yeshrug:

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate but I didnt pay attention that but just enjoyed the music.:yeshrug:

As for pushing boundaries idk, but imo its different from other Hip Hop albums out now. Again just my opinion.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
No it didn't. Control System did :ufdup:

Every song after U is what you would expect from Kendrick, anything before is pretty much experimental and hit or miss for most people.
These Days > Control System. I think These Days is unfairly hated but thats just me.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
Why would iTunes take the album down NOW? SMH, hustling backwards, and if it's the lable, they're stupid as hell. This is just gonna hurt the sales.

For the ppl asking for a link, I caught up on the posts that I missed (about 7 pages, at 50 posts per page), and saw 2 posts with links to the album in spoiler tags (which IS a no-no fyi), so do the math, dig a little and you'll find it.

Also, I see some of the Kendrick-hating brigade that couldn't stay up past their bed time to hate when this dropped are starting to filter in. This thread is about to go to shyt pretty quickly.

Finally, can we stop with the "this album isn't for cacs" type posts. That's just ignorance. Music is universal. Just because it has a pro-black message doesn't make it anti-white. There are alot of us out there capable of enjoying and supporting the message of a strong black man. I enjoyed the album immensely while listening last night, but according to some folks on here, that shouldn't be possible becasue I'm a "cac"? Absurd. I guess I shouldn't like Public Enemy either? Not all of us are racist devils like some of you so desperately want to believe.

Cac ain't synonymous with White breh get out of your feelings :comeon: :rudy:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
All this Bilal on the album and I already know what time it is :mjpls:

Kendrick is trying to get spins in adult-contemporary lounges and shyt :heh:

This is sounding like another Roots Album :pachaha:
:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

And you know what the fukked up part about it is? It could really work if he wasn't insistent on rapping in weird voices