Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Had a chance to sleep on it, and woke up and threw it on again with no distractions

It's good. It starts off sorta slow, then really picks up around "These Walls" for me. I marginally enjoyed the production more, though production doesn't really do much for me anymore, that jazzy, hazy, smooth (I guess, I hate when people use that word for some reason) type of production that is throughout. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate it though, there is a lot of interesting things musically going on here. I just not super enjoyable for me.

And I've only been through it a couple of times, but it definitely reminds me of Lupe's album in that it's an ambitious work that I'll acknowledge is laudable in its scope and desire for artistry, but I've been down these roads before, this isn't my first rodeo. I already know I'm not gonna be listening to it a month from now, and that's just being real. Conceptually, musically, it's a step towards growth, but I know deep down there's very little here that will keep me coming back. Honestly the same thing happened with GKMC, I really only rarely listen to the songs that made a personal impression on me (Swimming Pools, Real, Money Trees).
damn. a good post from you for once. This is pretty much how I feel. The album sounds like a good album. But it just doesnt personally capitvate me. Momma, Alright and Instituionalized are great songs. U is okay. The rest are pretty boring. Maybe its just the mood I'm in right now. I wont speak on it until the week has passed.

I feel the same way about GKMC too, even the tracks you listed (though I'd add Collect Calls and Good Kid).

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This cat is just a fukking genius. I can't listen to Drake or the other microwave rappers anymore after this.

400656_756865697671956_1047146707_n.jpg

Rap version of "Black Messiah"

f5c1kz.jpg

2ylsq68.jpg

Dualities of BLACKEXCELLENCE:

9aocv7.jpg

...I'm gonna be Dying of Thirst 'til the 23rd, tho:mjcry:

Last edited:

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Some dude's doing some creepy alien voice over a forced stale beat for 16 tracks and I'm supposed to be impressed? Ah-ha, ok.

Speaking fast and using multisyllabic words doesn't make someone a great rapper.

This album is nothing but INSIDIOUS. I don't care if Kendrick is being sarcastic or ironic, the negative black stereotypes he is peddling to wide audiences is disconcerting.

It will be very interesting to see if people will be still listening to this 2 months from now because it's pretty boring as a whole with only a few standouts, like ALRIGHT.

I don't know how an album can be considered perfection when the first 12 songs are borderline trash.

:laff:

B. Pumpaveli

All Star
Daps
The off-kilter funkadelic vocals D'Angelo already did
The tight bassline work already done way better by actual studio musicians instead of producer collections here
The Roots-esque white girl singing on the Anna Wise tracks
Institutionalized (at least the first beat) is a less good version of the Elzhi-Dilla track off Welcome to Detroit, except with better drums, bassline, and Elzhi with no helium rapping:

This album doesn't suck, but both those I mentioned do the same elements Kendrick tried here way better.

Agree with this. Its like some sort of a weak attempt at a neo soul album.

Even Terrace Martin's last album, 3 Chord Fold, did the whole throwback jazzy sound A LOT better.

Can't believe how boring this album is. No good songs or melodies, weak hooks, and Kendrick has ZERO mic presence on this. Might as well be a (weak) instrumental album. I don't care about the attempted message or race theme cause the music cant back it up :camby: There's about to be a lot of excuses and plea copping from kendrick stans in this thread

desp

SO MUCH FUN
Daps
Time to avoid this section for a few days (maybe weeks) The trolling is going to be nauseating, especially since rep is temporarily disabled
Yup. It's already horrible on both sides. Everyone tryna one-up each other's praise or criticism.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Why the fukk am I so addicted to "For Sale"?????:noah:

Just love the relaxing smooth flow and beat. Yet behind the relaxing smooth flow and beat is a dark sinister theme about Kendrick struggling with bhis inner demons and not wanting to sell out to Lucy(Lucifer). I just find it so interesting.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
What you tryna do? Kick knowledge? :heh:

This is like a Big KRIT album :manny:
Agree with this. Its like some sort of a weak attempt at a neo soul album.

Even Terrace Martin's last album, 3 Chord Fold, did the whole throwback jazzy sound A LOT better.

Can't believe how boring this album is. No good songs or melodies, weak hooks, and Kendrick has ZERO mic presence on this. Might as well be a (weak) instrumental album. I don't care about the attempted message or race theme cause the music cant back it up :camby: There's about to be a lot of excuses and plea copping from kendrick stans in this thread

:stylin: