Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
I'm still listening but this is beautiful music.....

Man.....Has a G-Funk/Neo Soul/Jazzy feel......This is Hip Hop right here. The album started off so funky.....

I have no idea how the sound of hip hop only became Trap Beats or soul samples.

Hip Hop is taking from any and every sound and making it into your own.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Everybody still up in arms about Untitled not making the album but the thing is. This album is perfect as is, there's not a song I'd take off to add Untitled. Untitled is an incredible performance and song but I think of it like I think of The Heart Pt. 3. The Heart Pt 3 is also an incredible record but I wouldn't sacrifice ANY song on GKMC for it. In the age of smartphones and everything digital all you have to do is throw Untitled on right at the end of Mortal Man as a *bonus* if you dig it that much
yeah but i want a studio version. :feedme:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whoever said the album picks up later on I agree with that, track 12-16 aren't awful.

And thought I'm not feeling the album, he is a level above Drake, it's not even comparable, at least Kendrick tries to be an artist, and can rap at least, and sometimes has some decent lyrics in spurts, which is more than Drake does, Kendrick touches on subjects at times, Drake is soulless drone music. So if that is Kendrick's peers/competition then he's well ahead, but personally I always liked to judge an artist at elite level, before claiming they are great.

Not really feeling it, but at least it has a song like Complexion in the mainstream which I'm happy about, and helped a dope sister out too. And a positive good vibe to it, I can appreciate that and give props to that. That's my favourite song from the album, by some way really, probably the only song I'll revisit, but my point is an artist like Drake just wouldn't do that cause of how pathetic and shallow he is, so would prefer Kendrick over Drake any day or some of these other wack Young Thug etc type artists. So I hope it does better than all of them for that reason alone.

SHAQAVELLI

We Are Penn State
Daps
Reppin
PA
A different, different listen than we're used to in hip-hop:whoo:

Gonna give several more thorough listens before I drop an opinion.