Kendrick Lamar - Like That (Drake & J. Cole Diss) (Produced Metro Boomin) (fukk A Big 3 & Remember Prince Outlived Mike Jack)

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
If rappers held the line and didn't ride his deck he probably wouldn't have got big as he was

But you can buy dudes
The problem is if you don't do music with Drake, people will call you a hater or say you're trying to gatekeep (which IMO is necessary in hip hop but that's just me) and you saw it was Common and Hov and other legends when he hit the scene.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All those guys had their time to become artists to then make money off their shyt. And not for nothing your naming like the top artists in the world. Madlib is like the most introvwrted producer in rap and is a prime example of what I am talking about. He lets his music speak for himself.

Most of these new rappers today do not. They wanna blow up quick n fast with empty art. Those people are not madlib or those names you listed.

Theres a reason madlib aint doing interviews and all that shyt. Hes an actual artist. This is my point im trying to make. You just made it for me.

If madlib had to do social media he wouldnt be a musician. If he had to sit down every week and promote projects and take videos and start the “madlib brand”. Giy has like 6 interviews his entire life. Ive only seen him like 10x period.

He purposely avoids all that shyt. He may be tryna push his shyt out for money cause he is now in the game and he is now in a position to. Had stones throw not invested in Him who knows what he be doing rn. His parents were also musicians who made a living its totally different for him than 99% of people tryna make it. Hes been a musician his entire life Thats not the average come up of a rapper.

The artist to fake ratio in the game is wildly disproportionate. I think we both know this. Social media dissuades actual artists. Madlib flourished cause he had label backing and money behind him from people who truly believed in the art he made. Allowing him the time to create instead of promote. Diff ball game than everyone on the comeup.

Madlib is working all of the time.

Making moves no different than these much smaller artists

Literally recruiting people to work as session musicians among other things.

I don't think I made your point at all, he is a business man through and through. :pachaha:

Again, the fantasy that's being presented vs. the actual reality of this music shyt is not what y'all think.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
This is the problem with Drake

He's a wave rider in the vein of 90s Hov but people get confused thinking that the waves he's riding needs him.

And he's done it with every popular movement/artist for the past decade plus

I'm not even a crazy Future fan but to think Future needed Drake at that time is wild...

Future's 2015 run alone...the fukk did he need Drake for?

If anything, Drake needed Future for credibility
This is a dumb take. Who doesn’t collaborate with the hottest artist?

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
The problem is if you don't do music with Drake, people will call you a hater or say you're trying to gatekeep (which IMO is necessary in hip hop but that's just me) and you saw it was Common and Hov and other legends when he hit the scene.
If all the rappers did it, it would have gone a different way

But that's a fantasy world because Logic exists

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
This is a dumb take. Who doesn’t collaborate with the hottest artist?
Did Hov start modeling his whole style after whoever he worked with or whatever sound was popping at the time?

Did Hov or Nas or DMX do this?

That's the difference between Drake and other artists.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
IYRT skyrocketed Drake (along with Meek beef, WATTBA etc).

If Drake went straight from Nwts to Views he would not be where he is today. Especially given the streaming era.
I don’t see a point to discuss the past lol

It can’t be changed.

I think the Meek beef made him larger than life though.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you don't have to choose between eating dinner and paying phone bills or potentially "selling out".
Then you absolutely do not understand the stakes. :pachaha:

There's a time where you gotta give the people what they want before you can do, what you want.
And trust me, you can and will experience some fugazi, bytch ass-ness in this music shyt.

Only reason I'm whatever about the hoe-ish behavior is because I have a good career.
So the lame shyt doesn't hurt me in the way a warehouse worker or fast food worker or music degree
holder who tutors fukking ten year olds does.

That's going off topic but I will never fault Kendrick Lamar or J. Cole for being both artistically AND commercially adept.

"If you not in it for the spinach, get the fukk out" - Big Pun.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Drake without Future around him in 2015 would not be nearly as popular as he is today. IYRT changed his whole career
Agree, 2015 quintin and future gave that boy a lot of credibility amongst the streets which wasn’t fukking with TML/TC/NWTS Drake. He finally broke the last wall. He still would’ve been putting up pop star numbers but still not relevant with a large segment of rap listeners

Medio

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New York
Kendrick is not battle tested.
He's never had a verse on wax back and forth with a rapper.