Kendrick Lamar - Like That (Drake & J. Cole Diss) (Produced Metro Boomin) (fukk A Big 3 & Remember Prince Outlived Mike Jack)

Not Crodie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most music reviewers are not independent. Both Rolling Stone and Pitchfork’s articles include a corporate disclaimer about how they came to these decisions.

So you’re basically saying that if an album is critically acclaimed you can believe that it’s a good album and deserving of such even though the reviewers can be biased

The amount of classic albums that were panned when released is absurd so the statement “never seen a single bad album getting the critical acclaim” is void because the opposite happens all the time
Thanks god 2 critics/publications ain't enough to have the "universal acclaim" tag............

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To be fair, I'm not aware of any classic album that got panned...or they're only classic because of their popularity/impact, not based on their quality.
GRODT is a typical example of that, decent at best, but classic because of how big it was.

All of Ems first 3 albums revived negative reviews when they dropped and their certified and many publications are now “re-reviewing” them

Demon days by gorillaz

Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin 1, are you experienced, Nevermind, Korns first album

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
To be fair, I'm not aware of any classic album that got panned...or they're only classic because of their popularity/impact, not based on their quality.
GRODT is a typical example of that, decent at best, but classic because of how big it was.

Older albums like Marvin Gaye’s Here, My Dear were critically panned when they came out and then went on to be hailed as classics. It happens

Hell even in Hip Hop it happens, It Was Written had a mixed critical response when it dropped and nowadays its pretty much universally recognized as a classic, even writers who shytted on it back in the day had to go back and re-review and re-rate it

Aug 1st, 1996

Dec 8th, 2012

Rolling Stone’s review Sep 19, 1996

June 8, 2022 they put IWW on their list of 200 Greatest Rap Albums Of All Time at 140

Not Crodie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All of Ems first 3 albums revived negative reviews when they dropped and their certified and many publications are now “re-reviewing” them

Demon days by gorillaz

Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin 1, are you experienced, Nevermind, Korns first album
You just proved his point.
None of them are qualified as great. The culture only considers them as classics for their impact (there's only 3 criteria for classic album, impact/popularity, influence or quality, 1 of them is enough)

Not Crodie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Older albums like Marvin Gaye’s Here, My Dear were critically panned when they came out and then went on to be hailed as classics. It happens

Hell even in Hip Hop it happens, It Was Written had a mixed critical response when it dropped and nowadays its pretty much universally recognized as a classic, even writers who shytted on it back in the day had to go back and re-review and re-rate it

Aug 1st, 1996

Dec 8th, 2012

rightfully panned from a pure objective angle

Not Crodie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IWW is in my top 10 favorite album, but from a pure objective angle, it's a solid 7/10 at best. There's a difference between "what I enjoy" and "what I think is good/bad"

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
rightfully panned from a pure objective angle

IWW is in my top 10 favorite album, but from a pure objective angle, it's a solid 7/10 at best. There's a difference between "what I enjoy" and "what I think is good/bad"

Man stop hahaha

So now we’re downplaying IWW to prove that music critics know what they’re talking about?

Whose mans is this?

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You just proved his point.
None of them are qualified as great. The culture only considers them as classics for their impact (there's only 3 criteria for classic album, impact/popularity, influence or quality, 1 of them is enough)

What? He’s literally saying you should take a music critics opinions at face value cause they don’t give out top ratings to bad albums when they’ve literally gave great albums bad ratings plenty of times.

Stop it folks

Daps
This is a flawed argument because deeper evaluatuons are happening for certain artists strictly because those reviewing them like the artists more.
This sounds like coping, also deeper evaluation isn't necessarily a indicator of quality or how someone feels about an album.

It's a fact there's albums that just have more to chew on, more to say, more that they are trying to get across. You don't have to like it to hear that.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This sounds like coping, also deeper evaluation isn't necessarily a indicator of quality or how someone feels about an album.

It's a fact there's albums that just have more to chew on, more to say, more that they are trying to get across. You don't have to like it to hear that.

You can find anything if you look hard enough for it. Hence why if a person likes something more they will do so.

Am I lying? Yes or no

Daps
You can find anything if you look hard enough for it. Hence why if a person likes something more they will do so.

Am I lying? Yes or no
I don't personally agree with that.

There's dense conceptual albums that I just don't like. They aren't my type of music, it doesn't move me. I can respect artistic ambition and what they were going for, that has nothing to do with how I personally feel about.

Having a lot to say when evaluating an album doesn't mean the critic likes it, IDK where you got that idea from.

I've seen essays written about the most banal yet dense albums while panning them, so no, your argument doesn't hold up objectively either.