Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
wait hold up. you going to far back. he's doing a rendition of suga free and dj quik.

even his candence in his flow is suga free ish and i aint even mad. pay homage to the west coasters.

He literally quotes James Brown in the first verse and there's a part at the end that could easily be part of a Funkadelic album. Doesn't negate your point but I don't see why we can't both be right. And I could also add that DJ Quik and Suga Free are both directly funk influenced as well.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
What you think about the song?

I really like it. I've learned to listen to Kendrick with an open mind since Section 80. Hes one of the artists whose songs that I didn't really feel off first listen I grow to love, but all three songs he's dropped so far from the album I've really liked off first listen (except perhaps "I" which really grew on me after a few listens and I REALLY fukked with after seeing the video)

So far I still think Untitled is the best overall song , and that mignt be because of the freshness and energy he brought to the performance, but unlike a lot of people I don't get myself hyped thinking every single new album is going to be the next Illmatic, Doggysyle, Blueprint, Chronic and that every song has to be the audio equivalent of the Ark Of The Covenant. I want to wait until the album at least leaks and give it 4 complete uninterrupted listens before I call dope or wack.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I see your perspective. But is Apparently really not a radio single? Sure, it's not the typical sound but singing, rapping is radio like. A la Drake. So far with Kendrick, I don't see anything that fits the radio. Again, for those reading, I'm not saying that's bad. I'm just surprised.
It's supposed to be and it's getting some spins but it doesn't look like it has leg power. It is not even top 40 right now. I'm not sure where it is on the urban charts. Drake has songs he just dropped from his mixtape that are higher on the charts than Apparently. It peaked at 59 and is down to 62. To put it in perspective, All Day by Kanye just DEBUTED at 15.

blackslash

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I really like it. I've learned to listen to Kendrick with an open mind since Section 80. Hes one of the artists whose songs that I didn't really feel off first listen I grow to love, but all three songs he's dropped so far from the album I've really liked off first listen (except perhaps "I" which really grew on me after a few listens and I REALLY fukked with after seeing the video)

So far I still think Untitled is the best overall song , and that mignt be because of the freshness and energy he brought to the performance, but unlike a lot of people I don't get myself hyped thinking every single new album is going to be the next Illmatic, Doggysyle, Blueprint, Chronic and that every song has to be the audio equivalent of the Ark Of The Covenant. I want to wait until the album at least leaks and give it 4 complete uninterrupted listens before I call dope or wack.
U a good poster breh breh :obama:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
This is is the thing. I would think that labels were HOPEFULLY getting smart and seeing which rappers NEED radio (young thug and half of the Southern Gimmick Rappers, Nicki Minaj, etc) and which rappers DONT (J.Cole, Drake, Kendrick) and which rappers might stand to gain from a radio hit but have enough of a fanbase to perform decently (Wale, Smedium Sean)

Kendrick doesn't need the radio to go platinum, so "forcing" that on him only serves to actually HURT his brand.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
:ld:

I tried my best to ignore the hype when that tweet came out but maybe it got me. I like the overall vibe of the record I just don't how much I like HIM on it.

Somebody like snoop or mystikal would wreck this...Hell I don't think ANYBODY in TDE could rock this beat right, i'm not really looking for "groove" from kendrick especially if you're going to start talking all this resurrecting "funk" shyt from a rapper that really isn't that 'funky'.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People need to uncondition their ears to all the bullsh*t they used to listen to and appreciate expansion of musical tastes. Kendrick isn't going to GIVE you another GKMC, if you want that then go listen to GKMC... he's moving onto other musical visions and if you roll with it then roll with it, but if you ain't... he gave you that classic you been asking for. One day, y'all eventually appreciate the full picture.

They said the same with Outkast after Southernplayalistic...