Kendrick is a GOAT? Give me his top 10 universally known quotables...

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

What im saying is that from bar to bar his lyrical technique can be a little underwhelming at times. The concepts behind his songs are generally fine but the way his bars are crafted is not as concise and sharp as rappers I'd characterize as being quotable are.

Those are some of his most concise and sharp bars. The concept is clear, there is no abstract theme or lyricism, no dense west coast slang.

Kendrick is a very conceptual rapper who is very good at introspective lyricism. Most of his songs are about how he or others feel and perceive their environment. He's not a punchline rapper. He often goes from extremely simple to double meanings or "complex" shyt. As an example from Complexion:

Dark as the midnight hour, I'm bright as the mornin' sun
Brown skinned, but your blue eyes tell me your mama can't run

That's a cold blooded line. In the song he's rapping from the perspective of a slave, falling in love with a mixed house slave (her mama couldn't run from the slave master who raped her).

I'm not going to argue Kendrick is the GOAT, he's not in my top ten, and I think there are rappers who are better than him. But then again, I would have said the same about Jay-Z in just about any year of his "reign." Even Hov alluded to dumbing down his shyt for dollars, "I used to rhyme like Common Sense" etc etc. I give Kendrick dap for managing to balance mainstream appeal/pop rap sensibility with rap concepts I find impressive: storytelling, introspection, concepts, etc.

Even on DNA, which is a pretty straight forward song...who is he talking about? Think about his religious views, specifically those expressed on the album. It becomes pretty clear he's talking about white people.

My DNA not for imitation
Your DNA an abomination

Of course he'll never admit that. But that's exactly what Black Israelites and NOI types believe about Caucasians.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Those are some of his most concise and sharp bars. The concept is clear, there is no abstract theme or lyricism, no dense west coast slang.

Kendrick is a very conceptual rapper who is very good at introspective lyricism. Most of his songs are about how he or others feel and perceive their environment. He's not a punchline rapper. He often goes from extremely simple to double meanings or "complex" shyt. As an example from Complexion:

Dark as the midnight hour, I'm bright as the mornin' sun
Brown skinned, but your blue eyes tell me your mama can't run

That's a cold blooded line. In the song he's rapping from the perspective of a slave, falling in love with a mixed house slave (her mama couldn't run from the slave master who raped her).

Those are some of his better bars I've seen :ehh: to be clear though punchlines and one liners are not what I mean by sharp, concise or quotable. I mean that sometimes he kind of rambles in his lyrics for a few lines instead of each line getting to the point and/or building on the last line. His Control verse had a lot of that but he typically has at least a handful of filler lines in each verse.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
How many times has this thread been done before ? Kendrick is trash breh we know this but let's not rehash the same material please :ld:

People need to give me credit for starting this "Kendrick aint talking about shyt" wave. The Coli was dikklicking Kendrick so deep when I first joined. A lot of posters rehash talking points I started on here. Just saying :jbhmm:

Creasy

Pro
Daps
Most memorable line off a Kendrick song is

My homebody just domed a nixxa

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
People need to give me credit for starting this "Kendrick aint talking about shyt" wave. The Coli was dikklicking Kendrick so deep when I first joined. A lot of posters rehash talking points I started on here. Just saying :jbhmm:
YOU started this? When?
I mean we agree so :salute:

but :usure:

Kendrick Lamar is the Kevin Hart of hiphop
I didn't feel like doing this but it was needed. Let's start with Kevin Hart. You have a overrated comic that is supposedly the hottest nikka...
Thread by: bigbadbossup2012, Aug 16, 2013, 222 replies, in forum: The Booth

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
I can dig rapping, but a rapper with a ghost writer?
What the fukk happened?

I guess Earl's line is also quotable

"Your rhymes rented, give them back to they owners."

But OP, this thread will be made time and time again and the only entry will be, Sit down, be humble.

That whole track and video was made for meme culture and didn't have any quotables outside the hook.

Daps
Kendrick isn't a punch line heavy rapper, he's more layered and uses entire verses to get his point across. He's a pure storyteller, more poetic and descriptive, multi-syllabic rhymer

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps

:russ:

True. You probably fired the first shot when it came to exposing the fraud that is Ducktales. :salute:

I was talking specifically about him not having quotables. You definitely said dude didn't have any lyrics before I started posting here, but you didn't have a thread dedicated to the fact that dude has zero quotables.