Kendrick is a GOAT? Give me his top 10 universally known quotables...

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
The hell is insightful about anything you just said about that bar? It's a classic bar, but it's a nikka rapping about rapping. It's not deep. It's not thought provoking. Miss me with that.

I'm well aware of the Quotables section of The Source mag; why you keep bringing that up is a mystery to me. The word "quotable" existed before the Source magazine. People recited impactful lyrics before the Source magazine.

You came in here and corrected me when I said OP was asking for memorable lines. So I've corrected you and informed you OP asked for universally known quotables. You're the one trying to move goal posts by deciding what the meaning of quotables is while also ignoring the universally known part. Talking about a line being from a movie as if that has any bearing on whether it's universally known and quoted. As far as your Vanilla Ice statement, you're making everyone's point. Judging a rapper based on how many of their lines are quotable is a stupid criteria.

I brought up those Nas bars originally and it was not in terms of being quotable, it was about rhyming technique and writing lines that build on each other. Kendrick used to be better at this (section 80 era) but recently his verses got a lot of filler lines where he repeats himself for the sake of flowing. Take his Holy Key verse for example:

Everything I touch may disintegrate into dust (uh huh)
Everything I trust may dishonor me in disgust (come on)
Everything is everything, affidavits and wedding rings
Out for blood on my higher horse, I report what it was
I don't wear crosses no more, Yeshua's coming back
I ain't scared of losses no more, I see life in that
I don't resonate with the concept of love and hate
Cause your perspective is less effective and rather fake
The universe and the heavens work in my DNA
Kendrick said "fukk Mother Earth," that's PSA
The land of the wicked, the foundation of Lucifer's spirit
Walking zombies and spellcatchers, I pray for forgiveness
Uncle Bobby and Paul June is lost again
The underworld and the fourth dimension, my family's in
The big money, the fast cars, my life produced
The blocks I connected while re-building this Rubix cube
So what you look up to?
Fame and fortune, bytches, Porsches, sources with designer thing
Brand endorsement joining forces with sorcerers signing me
Law enforcement their forces, tortures us with violent speed
fukk your boss's employment my joy is to see all you bleed
Who knew Royce's with choices of color my desire need
Crab and Oyster with gorgeous abortions, I require thee

Flesh and poison the point is the reason, you won't die in peace
Open door for my boy, now they eating, we say, finally
I destroy and divorce what you eating, don't you hire me
Tape recording my voices and tweak it, let's play hide and seek
War distortion and forfeit this evening, you should try at least
I'm restoring the portrait of feasting, nikka, I am beast
I don't like to sleep, I'm up like coyote, I might OD
Hair like ODB, I'm off a higher need
Khaled is valid, I been looking for inspiration
But when you the only king, you the only one in the matrix

In the bolded 8 bars he managed to say "I've got a lot of money and that's why my fans look up to me, I hate my corporate handlers but I don't mind all this money I got either :ehh: damn I got a lot of money!"

nikka coulda said that shyt in 2 just by dropping the hotep babble :mjlol: shyt is wordy af for no fukkin reason.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
I brought up those Nas bars originally and it was not in terms of being quotable, it was about rhyming technique and writing lines that build on each other. Kendrick used to be better at this (section 80 era) but recently his verses got a lot of filler lines where he repeats himself for the sake of flowing. Take his Holy Key verse for example:

In the bolded 8 bars he managed to say "I've got a lot of money and that's why my fans look up to me, I hate my corporate handlers but I don't mind all this money I got either :ehh: damn I got a lot of money!"

nikka coulda said that shyt in 2 just by dropping the hotep babble :mjlol: shyt is wordy af for no fukkin reason.
thats his biggest flaw and problem. that entire vierse is nothing but over wordiness.

sad part is becasue Sean is hated by nikkas, Interscope hype, and kendrick dikkriding = nikkas saying Kendrick got the best of Sean on that verse:dead:

Kendrick is arguably the most overhyped lyricist since Eminem. and you can say rivals him in hype

the fact he won lyricist of the year 5 times in a row 2012-2016 and its gonna 6 with 2017 we all know it:comeon: is blasphemious

he should not have won his first one in 2012 which was before he even released GKMC:scust: over Nas and Life is good

just thinking about it got me like:gucci: still to this day

Last edited:
Daps
the fact he won lyricist of the year 5 times in a row 2012-2016 and its gonna be 2017 we all know it:comeon: is blasphemious

Who’s better? Nobody who’s accepted by the mainstream is a better lyricist.

Plenty of underground guys (Skyzoo, Ka, Royce, Elzhi), but no one mainstream.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Who’s better? Nobody who’s accepted by the mainstream is a better lyricist.

Plenty of underground guys (Skyzoo, Ka, Royce, Elzhi), but no one mainstream.
mainstream whose better? nikka how about Nas, Jay who just dropped better verses than Kendricks midget ass. at the age of 48. J.cole could have even got one of those.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
thats his biggest flaw and problem. that entire vierse is nothing but over wordiness.

sad part is becasue Sean is hated by nikkas, Interscope hype, and kendrick dikkriding = nikkas saying Kendrick got the best of Sean on that verse:dead:

Kendrick is arguably the most overhyped lyricist since Eminem. and you can say rivals him in hype

the fact he won lyricist of the year 5 times in a row 2012-2016 and its gonna be 2017 we all know it:comeon: is blasphemious

he should not have won his first one in 2012 which was before he even released GKMC:scust: over Nas and Life is good

just thinking about it got me like:gucci: still to this day

Em and Kenny got a lot in their scope :sas1:

Get it? A lot Interscope :dame:

:heh:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
You only getting it on the surface level there's plenty more there.

"Quotable" when talking about rap music has a specific meaning. You seem to not understand that meaning, so I directed you to a place that could help you better understand. And you clearly still don't understand otherwise you wouldn't keep suggesting dumb ass shyt like hooks of songs :francis:

Only thing I corrected you on was attributing that line to Kendrick.

And what you've done is harp on the "universally known" part cause that gives you your only chance for an argument. It's impossible to quantify what's "universally known" or not. Nothing stays "universally known" forever. And you can find an argument to say almost anything is or isn't "universally known"

It's a silly argument to be having.

I'm not making up anything. Again when it comes to rap people are asking for a specific thing when they talk about "quotables". It's not just recognizable lines.

You wanna argue over the universally known part. I've said nothing about that.

The term I would use would be "universally respected" by rap fans. But i didn't make the thread :manny:

I never said it did. I said you can't atribute a line to the person that quoted it as opposed to the person that originated it.

Ice ice baby isn't a quotable.

And judging a rapper by quotables is what's always been done as you alluded to earlier in your same damn post :stopitslime:
You didn't make the thread yet:

Op said nothing about "memorable"

Op asked for quotables.

Quotables are skillful, insightful, ORIGINAL quotes that become meaningful and memorable for the masses.

You can't give Jay-Z credit for "when the remy's in the system......." when B.I.G. said it first, even though more people might recognize it as something Jay said.

I'm harping on shyt to prove a point...nah, actually you're ignoring part of OPs point to try to make you're opinion viable. Meanwhile my very first post in this thread directly addressed the point of the thread.

Back to your definition of quotable:

:stopitslime: Stop

"1, 2, 3 and to tha 4..."

"Even saw the lights of the good year blimp..."

"Sometimes the rap game remind me of the crack game"

"it's like a jungle sometimes..."

Even with more local rappers there's bars that stand out to their fans. Some rappers got more of a knack for that than others, Kendrick ain't one of them.

Those lines are "universally respected" what is skillful or insightful about them?

What more is there to those Nas lines, btw? Please educate me. He's rapping about rapping. The one mataphor used doesn't lead to anything with a deeper meaning. I'll let you tell it though:mjlol:

Quotable has one meaning, I posted it before to make that clear for you. If The Source is what defined quotable, that would mean the classic albums that came out before The Source existed had no quotables, wouldn't it?:krs:

It's not my thread so take your beef with the term "universally known" up with the threadstarter. With that said, people without an ax to grind know the point of the term doesn't mean every person in existence knows it just like "household name" doesn't mean the name is literally spoken in every household. You gotta try better than that, breh:beli:

So now those lines don't build on each other? You clearly understand what he's conveying with said lines, but call them filler. Pun could've said he and Fat Joe killed someone they didn't have to without all that 'Dead in the middle of Little Italy' filler right? That shyt ain't classic right? Too many words:scust:Multi syllabic rapping has been something nikkas praised in rap for decades, but now that Kendrick's doing it it's an issue. Eminem gets props and allegedly killed Jay on his own shyt with some rappity rap verses. shyt was classic right? Nah, he just used a bunch of filler to ay the same shyt "I'm a renegade" Too many words, cac:scust:Nas needed that many bars to just say "I rap nice"? Too many words, Nas lost:scust:

When y'all nikkas are ready to start disregarding nikkas like Canibus we can have this discussion about Kendrick being overrated.

Y'all nikkas don't know when to quit:pachaha:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
So now those lines don't build on each other? You clearly understand what he's conveying with said lines, but call them filler. Pun could've said he and Fat Joe killed someone they didn't have to without all that 'Dead in the middle of Little Italy' filler right? That shyt ain't classic right? Too many words:scust:Multi syllabic rapping has been something nikkas praised in rap for decades, but now that Kendrick's doing it it's an issue.

The issue is the flow is window dressing for the fact that he ain't really saying shyt that couldn't have been said in far fewer lines. Rappers like Pac and Nas understood the economy of language and that lines are more powerful when you say more with less. Nas never wasted a bar in his life, that's what makes him Nas.

Eminem gets props and allegedly killed Jay on his own shyt with some rappity rap verses. shyt was classic right? Nah, he just used a bunch of filler to ay the same shyt "I'm a renegade" Too many words, cac:scust:

Em is guilty of the same empty displays of technicality shyt too, see "Rap God" for exhibit A :scust:

Nas needed that many bars to just say "I rap nice"? Too many words, Nas lost:scust:

considering the song is about how it ain't hard to tell he's the most skilled rapper out, coming up with dope ways to say that is what he was supposed to do. And yeah you could say Em was doing the same on "Rap God" but Nas had more complexity in each line and kept the song short and sweet.

When y'all nikkas are ready to start disregarding nikkas like Canibus we can have this discussion about Kendrick being overrated.

Y'all nikkas don't know when to quit:pachaha:

The only time Kendrick doesn't drop filler is when he's storytelling. Outside of storytelling his writing is overly wordy period.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm harping on shyt to prove a point...nah, actually you're ignoring part of OPs point to try to make you're opinion viable. Meanwhile my very first post in this thread directly addressed the point of the thread.
Now where did i say anything about "universally known"

You arguin with the wrong person over that point. And even then it's a dumb ass argument. Nothing is "universally known"

Those lines are "universally respected" what is skillful or insightful about them?
You want me to explain somebody else's post?:mindblown:

What more is there to those Nas lines, btw? Please educate me. He's rapping about rapping. The one mataphor used doesn't lead to anything with a deeper meaning. I'll let you tell it though

If you can't work your way through that, then I can understand why you are having such difficulty understanding what OP is getting at :heh:

Quotable has one meaning, I posted it before to make that clear for you. If The Source is what defined quotable, that would mean the classic albums that came out before The Source existed had no quotables, wouldn't it?:krs:
I never said the source created the idea. I said it sa an easy place for you to go to understand the idea.

You playing dumb or you foreal right now?:stopitslime:

It's not my thread so take your beef with the term "universally known" up with the threadstarter. With that said, people without an ax to grind know the point of the term doesn't mean every person in existence knows it just like "household name" doesn't mean the name is literally spoken in every household. You gotta try better than that, breh:beli:
You the one got the problem with the term. I understand what op was getting at. You wanted to argue the term and pretend it means litterally everyone for all of eternity.

I took it as to mean lines that most hip hop fans would/should recognize:manny:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
The issue is the flow is window dressing for the fact that he ain't really saying shyt that couldn't have been said in far fewer lines. Rappers like Pac and Nas understood the economy of language and that lines are more powerful when you say more with less. Nas never wasted a bar in his life, that's what makes him Nas.

Em is guilty of the same empty displays of technicality shyt too, see "Rap God" for exhibit A :scust:

considering the song is about how it ain't hard to tell he's the most skilled rapper out, coming up with dope ways to say that is what he was supposed to do. And yeah you could say Em was doing the same on "Rap God" but Nas had more complexity in each line.

The only time Kendrick doesn't drop filler is when he's storytelling. Outside of storytelling his writing is overly wordy period.
Do you realize how easy it is to say a rapper isn't saying anything or is overly wordy. I can easily get a bunch of Wu Tang stans in their feelings right now using this logic. Rick Ross, Currensy and Lil Wayne fans would hate my guts if I started posting verses that were overly wordy or weren't actually saying anything. I can do the same with artists like Busta, Twista, Black Thought, shyt any artist really. You acknowledge you get the point of what he's saying but ridicule Kendrick for "coming up with dope ways to say" it:mindblown:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Do you realize how easy it is to say a rapper isn't saying anything or is overly wordy. I can easily get a bunch of Wu Tang stans in their feelings right now using this logic. Rick Ross, Currensy and Lil Wayne fans would hate my guts if I started posting verses that were overly wordy or weren't actually saying anything. I can do the same with artists like Busta, Twista, Black Thought, shyt any artist really. You acknowledge you get the point of what he's saying but ridicule Kendrick for "coming up with dope ways to say" it:mindblown:

Can you? :usure: A lot of New York rappers did songs that just amounted to them talking shyt but what made it dope was how they talked their shyt. Kendrick ain't particularly great at coming up with witty lines which is why he relies so heavily on the conceptual and topical verses. Even within a topical/conceptual verse there is a lot of room for wittiness but most of the time his lyrics are chalk full of forced turns of phrase that might rhyme and continue the flow but still sound jarring.

"Flesh and poison the point is the reason, you won't die in peace
Open door for my boy, now they eating, we say, finally
I destroy and divorce what you eating, don't you hire me
Tape recording my voices and tweak it, let's play hide and seek
War distortion and forfeit this evening, you should try at least
I'm restoring the portrait of feasting, nikka, I am beast
I don't like to sleep, I'm up like coyote, I might OD
Hair like ODB, I'm off a higher need"

"the point is the reason" :laff:
"I destroy and divorce what you eating" :wtf: Even though you sort of get what he's trying to say (he's not caving into label politics just to get a bag) it still comes off as an awkward line that is not slick at all.

"War distortion" :what:wtf does that even mean

And again he repeats the idea of feasting and eating 4x, he says his team is eating and then he says he's eating better than everyone else because he's hungry for it which is another way of saying he's making a lot of money. When I say lines that build off of each other I mean lines that build up to a payoff. There's no real payoff from deciphering these bars, the meaning is very simple and straightforward and could have been stated in far fewer lines (like 4 tops).

EDIT: The only reason he wrote any of that shyt is because it rhymes.

"forfeit this evening"
"portrait of feasting"
"point is the reason"
"boy now they eating"
"divorce what you eating"
"voices and tweak it"

This is the laziest kind of technical writing there is... forced rhymes that amount to multisyllabic babble ain't nothing to write home about.

Last edited: