Keep Justin Fields or draft a new QB?

If you in charge who is the Bears QB in 2024?

• Fields

• Caleb

• Maye

• Penix

• Other prospect

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Preach. I keep saying Fields had the better college career.

I think Caleb is a sure-fire first round talent, but people seem to be glossing over how Lincoln Riley's offense just cranks out Heisman winners/top QB picks that don't always show the same level of dominance in the pros.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
If we're looking at this from an asset perspective, the #1 draft pick will land SIGNIFICANTLY more than Justin Fields would in a trade. While I think Chicago should keep Fields and build around him, I also understand that this isn't a situation like Houston and Deshaun Watson, who had proven he was a Franchise QB at the time he was moved for a package that has since resulted in a franchise-altering move that the Texans appear to be set up for the next decade-plus from.

People would see Fields as a player who needs a specific coach/system and setup to reach any of his potential -- and the time to realize that potential is winding down -- and if Chicago doesn't want him, other teams wouldn't pay any sort of significant price unless Chicago can be trusted to hit a home run on every draft pick it gets. He MIGHT land a second and a third rounder.

Me thinking Chicago should keep Fields honestly has more to do with the fact that swapping him for someone with the arm talent of Caleb doesn't solve the issues they have. They'd still have a bad OL, they'd still have a bad offensive coordinator, and they'd still have an unproductive running game, partly because they got rid of the guy who leads the team in rushing. Adding Caleb probably wouldn't do THAT much to elevate DJ Moore and Cole Kmet, who literally just had the best statistical seasons of their careers with Fields and to an extent, Bagent.

However, the price someone is willing to pay to draft Caleb would help Chicago solve those issues, and it just so happens that from a talent and potential standpoint, Fields might actually become what he could be if Chicago solved those issues. If he doesn't? Draft Sheduer or Connor Weigman next year, put them in what should be a ready-made team, and keep it pushing.

The only way it's worth it is if Caleb actually is Joe Burrow -- who has finished two out of four seasons on the IR, partly because of the various punishment he's taken -- or CJ Stroud (who came to a Texans team that actually had a decent OL already in place). I do not anticipate that for Caleb in Chicago. Not without wholesale changes/tearing it down to the foundation and starting over. And the Bears have enough going for them to where it's not essential that they start over.
I see this point as well, but going back through years of Super Bowl winners - they have been either a team with an elite QB or a team who had a QB that absolutely balled out like they were elite for one postseason run (Flacco, Foles, etc.)

We've seen a lot of really well-built teams with deep talent fail because their QB simply made too many mistakes or couldn't outgun the elite QB on the other side. A lot of play-off football comes down to coaches doing what they can with 4th quarter time management holding for the last drive heroics.

it's two different philosophies I guess. I'm of the school you get your baller QB, ask zero questions and build around them rather than build the team first and hope you can find your QB later (where a lot of teams are reluctant to let them go). One of those "A bird in hand is worth two in the bushes" philosophies. We've also seen teams miss over and over again on the extra draft picks they got during a trade where they've "fleeced" the other team. That's why I do think now is the best time to draft your franchise QB standing right there and capitalize on whatever you get from Fields to find more OL which would be highly worth it.

I think Caleb is a sure-fire first round talent, but people seem to be glossing over how Lincoln Riley's offense just cranks out Heisman winners/top QB picks that don't always show the same level of dominance in the pros.
It's tricky because people also used to say don't draft gimmicky Texas Tech QB's as those QB's were just stat padders. Andy Reid got destroyed and labeled desperate for moving up 17 spots to draft a Texas Tech QB. At some point you got to scrap some of the college traditions when evaluating these guys.

10. Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)​

Grade: C-​

Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

10. Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo Bills): QB Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech​

The Chiefs just got the heir apparent to Alex Smith, but in many ways, Mahomes is Smith’s polar opposite: The son of a former MLB pitcher, he has an incredible arm, and he’s never been afraid to use it. But unlike Smith, Mahomes lacks discipline and consistency — both when it comes to playing within the constructs of the offense and with his accuracy and decision-making. Andy Reid has a project on his hands, and it will take some time for Mahomes to acclimate and adapt to Reid’s West Coast offense, but the former Red Raider is going to a team with plenty of playmakers, including Jeremy Maclin, Travis Kelce, and Tyreek Hill. It’s a high-risk, high-reward move for the Chiefs, who gave up this year’s 27th pick, another third-rounder this year, and a first-rounder next year to move up to this spot.

Fit: B

Value: C

No. 10 Kansas City Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech​

1. Ron Jenkins/Associated Press
    Mike Tanier's Devastatingly Accurate Quarterback Comparison: I Can't Believe It's Not Romo!
    Patrick Mahomes' upside is the real Tony Romo. His downside is the internet meme version of Romo from Eagles/Giants message boards of the last decade.
    Mahomes is Brett Favre-like in the way the neighborhood teenager throwing rocks from the sidewalk and breaking windows of the old abandoned warehouse is Brett Favre-like: You love the arm but question the judgment.
    Just how highly you rate Mahomes depends upon whether you see him throw across his body to a triple-covered receiver in the middle of the field for a 30-yard gain and think: "Dang, this young man has magical playmaking sorcery," or "if he tries that 20 times in the NFL, he will throw 19 interceptions and the whole organization will get fired."
    Make no mistake about it: If Mahomes were forced to start a full season as a rookie, he would not only throw 25 interceptions but would also endure 50 sacks with his Michael Vick-stuck-in-second-gear approach to pocket discipline.
    But the tools are the tools, there is certainly no shortage of courage, and when Mahomes isn't making things up as he goes along, there are flashes of decision-making brilliance to go along with all of that pure, unrefined talent.
    If any coach can settle Mahomes down without taking away his sizzle, it's Andy Reid. And Reid has a year or so to wait with Alex Smith still playing at...well...an Alex Smith level.
    My issue is that the Chiefs have been in playoff also-ran mode for years. They could have traded up and upgraded their defense to get over the top in 2017. Reid's Eagles tended to get stuck in 10- 11-win ruts. They could swap out quarterbacks and remain in the same rut, because they still have too many needs in other areas.

Grade: C

Straight up gave them an F for 2017, the overall sentiment as closer to this as well.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

I think it's a fair assessment.

Especially during the film breakdown, watch how many times dude hits his 3rd read, in his worst game.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
srks9ew31pvb1.jpg

And Caleb never ever played against the best defensive, schemes or players in the country
:huhldup:that's not good....man.

Jerz

All Star
Daps
Fields gets hurt alot and you will have to pay him soon. Rookie qb on a cheap deal, plus the assets you get for Fields, is a nice set up. It comes down to how high you are on this qb class, and how high value they value Fields

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
Fields gets hurt alot and you will have to pay him soon. Rookie qb on a cheap deal, plus the assets you get for Fields, is a nice set up. It comes down to how high you are on this qb class, and how high value they value Fields
What assets would you get for Fields though? I wouldn’t trade him if I’m just getting back a 3rd round pick or some shyt. Roquan Smith was a pro bowler and was traded for a 2nd and 5th rounder, so I wouldn’t expect teams to offer more than that for Fields.

Also, Fields missed just 4 games this year for a dislocated thumb, not his lower extremities. Last year he missed one game due to injury. Meanwhile, Joe Burrow missed missed the last 6 games of his rookie season because of an ACL tear, and the last 7 games this season (and he was hurt during preseason). He’s also 27 years old already.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
What’s the difference between Caleb and Baker? They were the same exact college player

Atleast Baker could perform against good defenses
There are other QBs in the draft. We don't have to pick Caleb. Heck Daniels from LSU can play too. Just get someone behind center other than Fields.

And Go get Jim!! :damn: