Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Lol Letter Home sounds nothing like the All of the Lights intro? All the Shine doesn't sound like a Kanye beat? Heartbeat doesn't sound like something on 808s? You can tell that Ludwig production was inspired by the instrumentation Kanye was doing on that album. Gambino early persona was very much influenced by Ye. He definitely grew into his own on Because The Internet and onwards

You started off by saying Camp sounded like ONE album now your moving goal posts saying it sounds like a bunch of Kanye albums?

Donald Glover himself has said he was influenced by Kanye. Thats not in question. What I was refuting was the ridiculous notion that Camp as an ALBUM sounds anything like MBDTF as an album.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You started off by saying Camp sounded like ONE album now your moving goal posts saying it sounds like a bunch of Kanye albums?

Donald Glover himself has said he was influenced by Kanye. Thats not in question. What I was refuting was the ridiculous notion that Camp as an ALBUM sounds anything like MBDTF as an album.
That's your opinion I guess. I was making the point that he was influenced by Ye in general but also that Camp large-scale production was inspired by MBDTF IMO:yeshrug:

Gambino didn't have much of an artistic identity at the time. He sounded like a mix of Wayne, Drake or Ye depending on the track. Like I said earlier, Internet was when he really came into his own

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I really wanted to despise this album, but there are a few songs I actually like.

Believe What I Say is classic Kanye shyt. :wow: Whole album should have been more like that.

Ultimately, the album was way the fukk too long and too repetitive, and just like Yeezus and Life of Pablo, Kanye is trying too hard to jump on a wave (in this case generic Pop Smoke/CJ beats). There is no reason for this album to be almost two hours, and it definitely suffers for it.

I expected to hate it, and it didn't, but like that RDCWorld skit said, nobody's gonna be listening to or talking about this shyt past Thursday. :yeshrug:

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This album isn’t even embarrassing. And I don’t mean that as a compliment. The negro who reviewed it for GQ actually sat with the album and made incisive and insightful points at least. The bulk of you just traffic in brand loyalty and platitudes. I’ve come to realize very few of you have any grasp of, interest in, or regard for art. You talk and think in nakedly capitalist terms: “it had ____streams” or “the metacritic rating is ____ (unless that works against your contrived agenda, at which point critics are all CACs and c00ns)” or “___ and ___ and __ and __ are on the album” or “____ shouted this out on his twitter/instagram”

Just recycling the most base cog-in-a-marketing-and-consumption-American-machine talking points while posturing as artsy and militant counterculture types

Absolutely bizarre and warped. This album of nothingness is def tailor-made for you cats. Yikes.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This album isn’t even embarrassing. And I don’t mean that as a compliment. The negro who reviewed it for GQ actually sat with the album and made incisive and insightful points at least. The bulk of you just traffic in brand loyalty and platitudes. I’ve come to realize very few of you have any grasp of, interest in, or regard for art. You talk and think in nakedly capitalist terms: “it had ____streams” or “the metacritic rating is ____ (unless that works against your contrived agenda, at which point critics are all CACs and c00ns)” or “___ and ___ and __ and __ are on the album” or “____ shouted this out on his twitter/instagram”

Just recycling the most base cog-in-a-marketing-and-consumption-American-machine talking points while posturing as artsy and militant counterculture types

Absolutely bizarre and warped. This album of nothingness is def tailor-made for you cats. Yikes.
Walt always comes with that unleaded Kanye ether. It's tradition round these parts :blessed:

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Walt always comes with that unleaded Kanye ether. It's tradition round these parts :blessed:

The wild shyt is you can listen to Mos Def - who even hardcore fans thought was washed and hung out to dry - rap recently on Navy Blue’s “Breathe” and hear more spirit and insight and human condition than on any of these grandiose try-hard c00nye albums. But that would require going and seeking out music and cultivating and defining your own personal taste rather than waiting for the machine to hand you the latest bloated and processed sausage from the death factory.

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
When your not getting support/love from your fellow artists and your a SUPER STAR like Kanye its a bad sign.

Almost no other artists are posting or showing love to the album. Not even Kanye’s day 1 GOOD Music homies. No Lebron sharing your shyt on IG Live. None of that
Start of the fall off, also keep in mind with DaBaby and the weird cac. Nobody trying to get cancelled lol. I wish Isaiah Rashad was more famous lol.

unstoppable589

All Star
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
Gave this multiple spins and only kept

off the grid
Junya
Believe what i say
Keep my spirit alive
Jesus lord

Not sure how people are getting double digit good tracks from this album. But to each their own

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol:
The first bars you even hear on the album are from JAY Z friend. But sure-- no one fukks with him.
I’m talking as far tweets from other celebs. This rollout was bizarre and the thing with his mom’s house even weirder.