Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

Artfull Dodger

All Star
Daps
irrelevance is the direction in which each successive post-Pablo album is veering, like some endless noodling over the same beat into the heavens. This album is flabby dad bod in musical form. Midway through streaming it, a trap jingle for Old Spice came on. It took me 20 seconds to realize this wasn’t one of the 27 tracks off Donda. That’s the type of album we’re talking about here. But if this slog somehow brings you closer to God, more power to you.”

Critic’s Notebook: Kanye West’s ‘Donda’ Is a Muddled Wallow in Navel-Gazing – The Hollywood Reporter

YIKES:huhldup: looks like the Honeymoon’s over with the white media
It’s hard to imagine what this record is supposed to be the soundtrack for. It’s not a party record. It doesn’t invite introspection. It’s not spiritual outside of literal references. It’s not really a radio record, although “Jail” and “Ok ok” will probably do fine as singles. The only thing this feels apt for is listening to by yourself while scrolling Twitter. It’s disposable and completely forgettable, like so much of culture spat down to us during COVID. An album and a livestream can’t capture the perverse spectacle of West’s IRL escapades (like living in an arena locker room), arguably the real allure of figures like him. This feels like an excuse for a tour in the spirit of his listening parties, not an album worth revisiting.
:lolbron::mjlol: they not holding back

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
The album is a mess. There are a couple shining moments, like Jail (part one...), Believe What I Say, and Remote Control but much of the rest of the album feels like an overly long interlude for something that never truly begins.

I'll revisit the album but I truly have no interest in these tracks. Every album I've listened to this year, even albums I wasn't super sold on, had something I was curious to revisit. I think a major reason is because thematically this boils down to a lot of "thank god I'm successful." There is no real examination of faith or doubt. This isn't Christianity. It's the vapid spirituality you sense when the most ungodly entertainer says "first off I want to thank god" after winning an award. It feels trivial. Even moreso when you can hear multiple features have their curses edited out of tracks. As if they didn't even care enough to not curse on an album about "god." In fact the only time I felt any genuine faith was Jay Electronica's amazing verse.

Production wise...it's solid but this is the fourth Kanye album in a row where I didn't feel like envelopes were being pushed sonically, or he was advancing the ball. Yeezus really seems like it's going to be the last interesting thing he does/did. I liked Pablo overall but I'm talking about production/beats. Does anyone feel like this is going to be one of the best produced albums of the year, come December? I sure as hell don't.
Sums up my feelings but imma leave the thread I ain’t tryna rain on the parade or nothin.

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
image0.png
Literally what I been seeing from most people (what mad @ss nikka said)

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
I am a fan of good music and this sonically sounds mediocre. To their eyes it probably sounds magical and or they as in the features artist wanted that nice check to be on this album. I hold Kanye to what he supposely holds himself to and most of the tracks I heard aren’t special. Like I said it’s call of duty music, same sounds through the decade hyped up and remixed.

Y’all stans can enjoy the album, whatever makes you happy but this isn’t really innovative to me personally.

my ear is sharp so i doubt when I listen later with some higher quality OTH my opinion will change.

So far its just really high quality made but subpar music. ill take back the word trash though since thats kinda harsh
Dude, I just wanted to know if you were a fan or not. All I’m saying is, if someone didn’t like him before, this album wouldn’t change their mind. I never even gave an opinion of this album in this thread aside from one song.