Kamala Harris Jamaican Family Speaks Out

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Kamala Harris is indeed of both Black and Indian background.

Now, you have one clip of someone else calling her Indian, and her agreeing. There are hundreds of clips of people calling her Black. On the other hand, I already pointed out to you:

1) She identified as Black as a child, lived in a predominantly Black neighborhood, attended a Black Baptist church, spent lots of time at the neighborhood Black community center, was bussed as a Black student

2) Her best friends were Black girls in high school

3) Went to a Black HBCU

4) Pledged a Black sorority

5) Became president of the Black Law Students Association in grad school

6) Dated prominent Black men in adulthood in the 1990s and 2000s

7) Won the Thurgood Marshall Award in 2005 from the Black Prosecutors Association

8) "What I suggest we do as African Americans is own this issue in law enforcement and then define it in the way that works for us because it is a myth, to say that African Americans don’t want law enforcement.” - from a 2006 conference of Black leaders on crime

9) From a 2007 article on Obama's candidacy: "The conversation highlights the lack of information that people in general have about African American contributions." Harris, who attended Howard University, said many Americans -- of all social and racial backgrounds -- have a limited perception of black people. In college, she saw African American men and women in leotards studying ballet in the arts department, young women with briefcases in business school, African Americans in lab coats studying medicine and in street clothes protesting actions on Capitol Hill. "We are diverse and multifaceted," Harris said. "People are bombarded with stereotypical images and so they are limited in their ability to imagine our capacity."

10) Spoke as the featured speaker at Black Prosecutors Association events, including one she hosted in San Francisco in 2010

11) "I was the first woman elected, first African American woman elected, and Asian American elected in the state as a district attorney." - from a 2012 interview with The Wrap

12) Was a leader in the Black Congressional Caucus

13) “She had two Black babies, and she raised them to be two Black women.” - Kamala speaking about her mother in a 2016 NYT interview

14) “My mother understood very well that she was raising two black daughters. She knew that her adopted homeland would see Maya and me as black girls, and she was determined to make sure we would grow into confident, proud black women.” - From her autobiography

15) “I’m Black, and I’m proud of being Black. I was born Black. I will die Black, and I’m not going to make excuses for anybody because they don’t understand.” - 2019 interview

16) "For other people who can’t figure out am I ‘black enough,’ I kinda feel like that’s their problem, not mine. Maybe they need to go back to school to figure it out. And maybe they need to learn about the African diaspora and maybe they need to learn about a number of other things.” - From another 2019 interview

17) "It affects everything about who I am,” she said. “Growing up as a black person in America made me aware of certain things that, maybe if you didn’t grow up black in America, you wouldn’t be aware of.” - Yet another interview

18) “When you’re at an HBCU, and especially one with the size and with the history of Howard University — and also in the context of also being in D.C., which was known forever as being ‘Chocolate City’ — it just becomes about you understanding that there is a whole world of people who are like you. It’s not just about there are a few of us who may find each other.” - Yet another interview

19) "On January 20, 2021, Kamala Harris was sworn in as Vice President – the first woman, the first Black American, and the first South Asian American to be elected to this position." - the very first line in her official White House bio since 2021.

20) “I grew up in a community where it was an extended family of people who told all of us as children [that] we were young, gifted, and Black." - Kamala at the 2024 Essence Fest

Are there any examples of her similarly joining Indian-American organizations or prominently pumping up her Indian-American background to the same degree? I already pointed out that when she ran for senator, many Indians in San Francisco said it was the first time they knew she had any Indian ancestry at all because she never talked about it.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Confliting reports. Judge Joe Brown said he doesn't and there is a poster here that says he does.
National celebrity judge who clearly understands libel and has a lot to lose, and claims to have heard this verbatim from the man's mouth :hula: random Coli breh
The "Negro" designation was purely for ADOS, not non-ADOS people. So it makes sense for them to not say they are "negroes" because they weren't.
Do you have any proof or reference for this? Serious question.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Damn they were really leaning into making sure you knew they were "Indian and Jamaican" by incorporating themselves into these black organizations :russ:

They met there in 1962 and that book was written in 1983...so she was running a 21-year-long scam of pretending to care about the Black power movement and even moving into a Black neighborhood in Berkeley after her divorce just so her daughter could trick people into thinking she had roots in Black culture 40 years later.

Into the vacuum stepped Ms. Gopalan Harris’s old friends, connections from the Berkeley study group. She was a single, working mother of two, far from her family. Not until her oldest daughter was in high school could she afford a down payment on her own home, something she desperately wanted, Senator Harris wrote in her memoir. A web of support — from day care, to church, to godparents and piano lessons — radiated out from the Afro American Association.

“Those ties became the village that supported her in rearing the children,” said Ms. Dashiell, the sociology professor who was a member of the discussion group. “I don’t mean financially. They surrounded those children.” Mr. LaBrie introduced Ms. Gopalan Harris to his aunt, Regina Shelton, who ran a day care center in West Berkeley. Mrs. Shelton, who had been born in Louisiana, became a pillar of the young family’s life, eventually renting them an apartment upstairs from the day care center.

Ms. Gopalan Harris often worked late, recalled Carole Porter, 56, a childhood friend of Senator Harris, and had high expectations for her daughters. “Shyamala didn’t play,” she said. “Being an immigrant, five feet tall, and having an accent — when things like that happen to you, and you face stuff, that toughens you up.” But there was always a snack and a hug at Mrs. Shelton’s. If it got too late, the sleepy children would go to bed at her house, or Mrs. Shelton would send her daughters to tuck them in at home. One of Senator Harris’s favorite stories from childhood is of preparing a batch of lemon squares with salt instead of sugar; Mrs. Shelton, her face puckered, said they were delicious.

On Sunday mornings, Mrs. Shelton would take the girls to the 23rd Avenue Church of God, a Black Baptist church. This, Ms. Porter said, was what Shyamala wanted for them. “She raised them to be Black women,” Ms. Porter said. “Shyamala really wanted them to have both.”

Ms. Dashiell said she was certain that some influence of the study group survived in the Harris children. “The thinking within the association was deep,” she said. “You would look at, what are the underlying causes of the problems that we find ourselves in as Black people? And that is something that would have translated, through these families, to Kamala.”

In the years since, Senator Harris has often reflected that her immigrant mother’s chosen family — Black families one generation removed from the segregated South — powerfully shaped her as a politician. When she took the oath of office to become California’s attorney general, and then a U.S. Senator, she asked to lay her hand on Mrs. Shelton’s Bible. “In office and into the fight,” she wrote in an essay last year, “I carry Mrs. Shelton with me always.”

They're not going to read any of that so long as they have right-wing memes to post. :mjlol:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
National celebrity judge who clearly understands libel and has a lot to lose, and claims to have heard this verbatim from the man's mouth :hula: random Coli breh

If you understood libel then you'd know it's irrelevant. No one is going to be able to prove in court what you did or didn't hear in a private conversation from long in the past.

Where did I make any claim from my own authority? I posted publicly available information, quoting half-a-dozen members of the study group.

It's one 2024 claim by Judge Joe Brown, a known Trump supporter who previously already gotten caught lying about Joe Biden's racial statements, versus the entire living contingent of Berkeley's Afro-American Association making public statements in numerous public venues for the last 40+ years.

Why do you believe Joe Brown over all of them, other than the fact that you're a known agent here?

Last edited:

that guy

Superstar
Daps
What race and/or ethnicity are Jamaicans. Please answer.
Jamaicans are Jamaican. They (just like most “black” people outside of america) typically see “black” as referring specifically to African-Americans.

You can’t impose an American racial construct on people who are not american. That’s why Donald Harris said he’s not black, he's Jamaican.

Idk why Americans have a hard time realizing that American constructs don’t exist outside of America.

Go somewhere like Nigeria and you are igbo, Yoruba, housa, etc. If an African-American goes to nigeria, you are just “American” There’s is no “we’re all black people”

There was a poster on here who said he’s 100% sierra leonian. He was born in the US and when he went back home, they said he’s not “one of them” simply because he wasn’t born in the homeland.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Okay so here's the thing....
Her name is Kamala, which is an INDIAN name
It means Lotus in Sanskrit, which the goddess Laksmi stands on
If you listen to the father, the way he pronounces his name is not the same way Dyson was pronouncing it in that CNN segment.
In INDIA, it is pronouced Kuhmla
You could hear the pronunciation here:

All i'm saying, it's not as simple as people are making it out to be
At the end of the day, if she wants people to pronounce it Coma-La then fine, that's her decision, one should be allowed to have people prounounce your name as you want it to sound.

that guy

Superstar
Daps
The "Negro" designation was purely for ADOS, not non-ADOS people. So it makes sense for them to not say they are "negroes" because they weren't.
Negro was “any person of African-descent” so they could technically say they were negro. Black has the exact same connotation as negro. So if someone isn’t negro then they aren’t black.

They clearly understood the concept of “ADOS” way back in the 1960’s because Obamas father is listed as “African” on his birth certificate and Kamala’s father is listed as “Jamaican”

One of the biggest differences between black Americans and Jamaicans is either though we both have ancestors who were slaves and slave owners, Jamaicans actually consider the lineage of the white slave owners as part of their heritage.

In the post-slavery Caribbean, they didn’t have a white vs black racial classification system like the USA. They had a more complex hierarchy like mulatto, octaroon, creole, etc etc.

In other words, in the US race is a class whereas in Jamaica, race is a spectrum. People like Donald Harris were higher in the hierarchy due to their heavily mixed ancestry.

Not to mention, it’s an island where everybody is coexisting in the same confined space meaning there was less hostility between races compared to the US.

Moreover, Jamaicans in post slavery didn’t have miscegenation to the degree as the US. Meaning, people of all races could form interracial marriages which was strictly forbidden in the US.

that guy

Superstar
Daps
That's false. Black Jamaicans know they are black and call themselves black.
You’re wrong. Jamaicans call themselves black in the sense of a global disaspora of African descent. But not in the sense of their racial identity. Jamaicans don’t say their race is “black”

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
They met there in 1962 and that book was written in 1983...so she was running a 21-year-long scam of pretending to care about the Black power movement and even moving into a Black neighborhood in Berkeley after her divorce just so her daughter could trick people into thinking she had roots in Black culture 40 years later.

Into the vacuum stepped Ms. Gopalan Harris’s old friends, connections from the Berkeley study group. She was a single, working mother of two, far from her family. Not until her oldest daughter was in high school could she afford a down payment on her own home, something she desperately wanted, Senator Harris wrote in her memoir. A web of support — from day care, to church, to godparents and piano lessons — radiated out from the Afro American Association.

“Those ties became the village that supported her in rearing the children,” said Ms. Dashiell, the sociology professor who was a member of the discussion group. “I don’t mean financially. They surrounded those children.” Mr. LaBrie introduced Ms. Gopalan Harris to his aunt, Regina Shelton, who ran a day care center in West Berkeley. Mrs. Shelton, who had been born in Louisiana, became a pillar of the young family’s life, eventually renting them an apartment upstairs from the day care center.

Ms. Gopalan Harris often worked late, recalled Carole Porter, 56, a childhood friend of Senator Harris, and had high expectations for her daughters. “Shyamala didn’t play,” she said. “Being an immigrant, five feet tall, and having an accent — when things like that happen to you, and you face stuff, that toughens you up.” But there was always a snack and a hug at Mrs. Shelton’s. If it got too late, the sleepy children would go to bed at her house, or Mrs. Shelton would send her daughters to tuck them in at home. One of Senator Harris’s favorite stories from childhood is of preparing a batch of lemon squares with salt instead of sugar; Mrs. Shelton, her face puckered, said they were delicious.

On Sunday mornings, Mrs. Shelton would take the girls to the 23rd Avenue Church of God, a Black Baptist church. This, Ms. Porter said, was what Shyamala wanted for them. “She raised them to be Black women,” Ms. Porter said. “Shyamala really wanted them to have both.”

Ms. Dashiell said she was certain that some influence of the study group survived in the Harris children. “The thinking within the association was deep,” she said. “You would look at, what are the underlying causes of the problems that we find ourselves in as Black people? And that is something that would have translated, through these families, to Kamala.”

In the years since, Senator Harris has often reflected that her immigrant mother’s chosen family — Black families one generation removed from the segregated South — powerfully shaped her as a politician. When she took the oath of office to become California’s attorney general, and then a U.S. Senator, she asked to lay her hand on Mrs. Shelton’s Bible. “In office and into the fight,” she wrote in an essay last year, “I carry Mrs. Shelton with me always.”

They're not going to read any of that so long as they have right-wing memes to post. :mjlol:
Look how hard she was trying to make sure her kids were aware of their Indian roots and denying their blackness...no wonder Kamala "just turned black" yesterday :russ:

that guy

Superstar
Daps
:what: :dahell: :what:

I only said I’m not sure if Donald Harris considers himself black … because he put Jamaican on his daughters birth certificate
just because he’s supposedly met his wife at a Afro-American event doesn’t mean anything

kamala_birth.jpg
They’re the same people saying “Kamala is black because she went to an HBCU” :mjlol:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Looking forward to having Jamaican American Black and Indian Woman as a President of the United States

:ahh: