Kamala Harris Jamaican Family Speaks Out

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I see @that bimbo finds himself in yet another thread predictably getting shytted on for his ferocious anti intellectualism :russ: :russ: :russ: these nikkas are the laughing stocks of the Coli...always offering quality comedic relief

I see why you didn’t message me in the thread, you’re not an intellectual and most importantly you’re not even black. Gtfoh.

I’m not an immigrant, just more lazy deflections on your part when forced to present an actual intellectual defense of your argument.

Because having intellectual discussions about politics is out of their league.
He loves throwing around the term 'intellectual' when he's just super-dumb and dishonest. :mjlol:

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
I never made an analogy anywhere in that post. How are you discussing race when you don’t even know what an analogy is?

Indians who have mixed with the people of African descent do not call themselves “foreigners”

The man in the video is clearly of Indian descent and he’s calling himself Jamaican as all mixed raced people in Jamaica do.

Jamaica doesn’t even have a “black” racial category. Jamaicans will tell you they are black meaning they’re part of a global diaspora or people of African descent. They do not say they’re race is “black”
I meant anecdote good catch.

See that’s what admitting you made a mistake looks like. Stop speaking on things you don’t understand

that guy

Superstar
Daps
When you're a toddler, all that matters is who your family is and who they hang out with. And Kamala was raised by her Black Jamaican father and Indian mother who were both deeply involved with the Black activist community and constantly had radical Black people around them. Claiming that she was just around white people is a completely fabricated lie.

Except that when her mother divorced, she explicitly moved to a Black neighborhood in Berkeley to reconnect with the Afro-American Association where she was surrounded by Black activists who provided her entire support structure.

Into the vacuum stepped Ms. Gopalan Harris’s old friends, connections from the Berkeley study group. She was a single, working mother of two, far from her family. Not until her oldest daughter was in high school could she afford a down payment on her own home, something she desperately wanted, Senator Harris wrote in her memoir. A web of support — from day care, to church, to godparents and piano lessons — radiated out from the Afro American Association.

“Those ties became the village that supported her in rearing the children,” said Ms. Dashiell, the sociology professor who was a member of the discussion group. “I don’t mean financially. They surrounded those children.” Mr. LaBrie introduced Ms. Gopalan Harris to his aunt, Regina Shelton, who ran a day care center in West Berkeley. Mrs. Shelton, who had been born in Louisiana, became a pillar of the young family’s life, eventually renting them an apartment upstairs from the day care center.

....But there was always a snack and a hug at Mrs. Shelton’s. If it got too late, the sleepy children would go to bed at her house, or Mrs. Shelton would send her daughters to tuck them in at home. One of Senator Harris’s favorite stories from childhood is of preparing a batch of lemon squares with salt instead of sugar; Mrs. Shelton, her face puckered, said they were delicious.

On Sunday mornings, Mrs. Shelton would take the girls to the 23rd Avenue Church of God, a Black Baptist church. This, Ms. Porter said, was what Shyamala wanted for them. “She raised them to be Black women,” Ms. Porter said. “Shyamala really wanted them to have both.”

Ms. Dashiell said she was certain that some influence of the study group survived in the Harris children. “The thinking within the association was deep,” she said. “You would look at, what are the underlying causes of the problems that we find ourselves in as Black people? And that is something that would have translated, through these families, to Kamala.”

In the years since, Senator Harris has often reflected that her immigrant mother’s chosen family — Black families one generation removed from the segregated South — powerfully shaped her as a politician. When she took the oath of office to become California’s attorney general, and then a U.S. Senator, she asked to lay her hand on Mrs. Shelton’s Bible. “In office and into the fight,” she wrote in an essay last year, “I carry Mrs. Shelton with me always.”

Except that her high school in Montreal was 40% Black, her closest friends were Black, and her best friend from the very beginning of her getting there moved in with her for her entire senior year. And she continued visiting her father on holidays and summers.

38242070-9167149-image-a-19_1611137295791.jpg

Ms. Harris did, indeed, move to Montreal as a 12-year-old with her sister in 1976, when their mother, Shyamala Gopalan, was recruited to conduct breast-cancer research at Jewish General Hospital and to teach at McGill University’s medical school. Over the next five years, Kamala Harris continued to shuttle between Quebec’s largest city and California to stay with her father, Donald J. Harris, an economist at Stanford, and a family friend during holidays and vacations.

Kamala Harris' childhood best friend has told how the kindness of the Vice President- elect's family 'changed the trajectory of her life' when they took her in as a teenager.

Wanda Kagan, an administrative agent from Montreal, met the Harris after they both joined Westmount High School in Quebec and said the pair 'instantly bonded'.

The pair found themselves in a high school that was about 60 percent white and 40 percent Black and drew from a variety of neighborhoods that cut across economic lines.

They developed an unusually close friendship. When Ms. Kagan told Ms. Harris that she was being sexually abused by her stepfather, Ms. Harris had her move into her family’s apartment in a middle-class neighborhood.

“It’s not just that she took me in,” Ms. Kagan said. “It’s that human side of her, that empathetic side of her that could be so compassionate to realize that there was something going on.”

Her mother was so deeply involved in the Black Power movement that as late as 1983 (when Kamala had already left for Howard), the famous Black academic and activist Cedric Robinson thanked her in the acknowledgements of his best-known book, "Black Marxism: The Making of the Black Radical Tradition", for helping him to get the project rolling. That was a full 21 years after Kamala's mom first joined the Afro-American Association, met Douglas Harris, and became a part of Black Power circles.

F8-YyLlbQAAuIrw
GVC4L8QWIAA-ILs

And claiming she lived among "wealthy white people" is completely false. She couldn't even afford her first mortgage until Kamala was in high school and her communities in both Berkeley and Montreal were heavily Black and not at all upper-class. In Berkeley she was living in a rented apartment upstairs from a Black daycare just down the street from the Black Community Center, and you had the nerve to lie and claim she was living in upper-class white neighborhoods.

She only spent one year at Vanier College, which is actually one of the most diverse colleges in Canada and has produced a disproportionate number of Black celebrities and public figures. I'm not even sure it's majority white, I believe it's majority-minority or somewhere close to it. And then she went to Howard after that, of course.

You're losing this argument on every level.
Nikka stop posting these long ass walls of texts taking up the whole page :what:

Nobody is going to think you’re winning an argument just because your posts are longer.

When you're a toddler, all that matters is who your family is and who they hang out with. And Kamala was raised by her Black Jamaican father and Indian mother who were both deeply involved with the Black activist community and constantly had radical Black people around them. Claiming that she was just around white people is a completely fabricated lie.
Lie #1: I never claimed she was just around white people. Yet another example of you being manipulative. How was she raised by her Jamaican father when her mother had full custody from the ages of 7-18? A toddler is ages 1-3, to Uc can’t even remember anything from that age. You’re off to a bad start :mjlol:

Except that when her mother divorced, she explicitly moved to a Black neighborhood in Berkeley to reconnect with the Afro-American Association where she was surrounded by Black activists who provided her entire support structure.
Nikka she moved back to Berkeley because she became a single mother with 2 kids and needed her black friends to financially support her. The fact that they were part of an Afro-American association or black activists is irrelevant.

She got a job offer in 90% white Montréal 5 years later and said to hell with these nikkas. I never heard of an activist quitting the struggle as soon as they get a job opportunity :russ:

Except that her high school in Montreal was 40% Black, her closest friends were Black, and her best friend from the very beginning of her getting there moved in with her for her entire senior year. And she continued visiting her father on holidays and summers.
I said she lived in Quebec a majority white city and your response is “the school was 40% black” Do you need a statistics class?

“Her closest friends were black” nikka the article says nothing about her closest friends. It mentioned one friend and you just made the rest up. Why do you lie so much? :russ:

Her mother was so deeply involved in the Black Power movement that as late as 1983 (when Kamala had already left for Howard), the famous Black academic and activist Cedric Robinson thanked her in the acknowledgements of his best-known book, "Black Marxism: The Making of the Black Radical Tradition", for helping him to get the project rolling. That was a full 21 years after Kamala's mom first joined the Afro-American Association, met Douglas Harris, and became a part of Black Power circles.
I’m trying to understand what this has to do with anything about Kamala Harris? We already know her mother needed help from her african-Americans friends who were activists when she was a single mother with 2 kids

And claiming she lived among "wealthy white people" is completely false. She couldn't even afford her first mortgage until Kamala was in high school and her communities in both Berkeley and Montreal were heavily Black and not at all upper-class. In Berkeley she was living in a rented apartment upstairs from a Black daycare just down the street from the Black Community Center, and you had the nerve to lie and claim she was living in upper-class white neighborhoods.
Her first mortgage was 2 years after she moved to Quebec. Kamala started high school at 14 and lived in Berkeley from 7-12. You’re saying she didn’t live amongst wealthy whites because of a 5 year span where she became a single mother with 2 kids. What about the rest of her life? You know the ages of 13-18 which are the most formative? what about ages 1-7?

“The communities were heavily black and not at upper-class”

“Westmount High School, located in a wealthy and English-speaking borough of Montreal”

Why do you lie so much? :why:

She only spent one year at Vanier College, which is actually one of the most diverse colleges in Canada and has produced a disproportionate number of Black celebrities and public figures. I'm not even sure it's majority white, I believe it's majority-minority or somewhere close to it. And then she went to Howard after that, of course.
I looked everywhere for their demographics and couldn’t find them so this is yet another lie you just made up. “Majority-minority” post the sources you damn liar :mjlol:

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I'm glad her family spoke up

Should have shown some pics of her grandma and grandpa paternal side tho