Just Starting Watching 'The Wire' And...

El Poyo Loco

Akrassikauda = Black Scorpion
Daps
Reppin
The 5 Boroughs
Colliccio was the woat

He had that same mentality that Herc had he never learned when Carver was trying to teach him what Colvin and Daniels taught him. "Tony if you go around knocking heads all the time nobody's going to work with you when the real shyt happens" When he wrote Collicio up I understood it he gave Collocio the same out Daniel's gave him,Herc and Prez and Collicio so stupid to realise it.

Money Be Green

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Pitts
Op :hhh:

I remember the summer going to my 6th grade year I had a cousin from Philly come down here for the summer and he use to watch it. After he left i forgot all about it :yeshrug:. Fast forward my 10th grade year nikkas in class talking bout the wire. Im like nikkas still watching that show :hhh:, let me see what the hype is about.

I go home turn on demand on and started watching the goat season of the wire. Season 4:banderas:. I could relate to the them kids at the time cause I live in MD and we were around the same age at that time.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
I'm gonna really try to stick it out. I tried to watch it years ago and didn't make it past episode 3. Here I am, 10 years later and I figured I would appreciate more as an older breh. It's the same thing this time around :beli: I'm checking out Deadwood now and this is keeping my interest, but I'm definitely gonna try to finish The Wire.

Deadwood is a beast. Probably the best of all the shows of hbos golden era and I’ve seen em all repeatedly. I got up on deadwood late and binge watched it. In my opinion it’s the best. But stick it out with the wire you’ll be rewarded. Those first episodes are really an intro to the characters more or less. That’s what I realized rewatching it but it picks up real nice.

Rome is another good one if you haven’t seen it yet.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Did you watch the episode when Wallace got killed yet?

Or when Stringer send goons to kill D'Angelo in prison?

:mjlit:

Or when Cheese gets capped.

I watched the Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire. Neither of those show match the Wire.

Marlo is probably one of the most evil characters ever written in the history of television.

GatorStaceyAdams

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC (but PGH will forever be home)
I know that its blasphemous to speak out against the Wire- but I think the show was HIGHLY overrated. Good? Absolutely. Cinematic masterpiece? Naw.

In fact- I am convinced half of the reason the show became so popular is because it taught white people some new lingo:

"Hey Tyler, my IPhone broke so I had to buy a BURNER in the meantime:smugdraper:"

:snoop:

Quite honestly, I thought the show focused way too much on the Cops, and I hate cop shows.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It took me a little while to get into th Wire too, because it wasn't clear who all of the characters were. They are introduced very slowly and as the story unfolds it is clear that the writers are not only studying the characters, but they also look at institutions, which fail the people that the institutions were supposedly created to help. Case in point was season 2. I didn't get why the spent that year on the docks, but looking back on it they had to show how drugs got into the Country and later into the hood. They also showed the parallels between blue color ethnic people and African Americans.

It is really well written and really well acted. The gangs stole the show.

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Yeah that’s how the wire is. I was bored as shyt in the beginning, forced myself to keep watching just based off all the hype and then that shyt is piff. I even sat through the ENTIRE dock worker season which was even MORE boring but that shyt ends good too and I appreciate it now. It’s a good show. Keep going.

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
Season 2 is one of the most boring seasons in television history. It was a fukking chore to get through. Season 5 was ass cheeks too. Only season 4 was good imo

Season 2 was pretty good imo. Shows a different angle to the corners but amps it up to show the real power players.

If we look at each season as a look at a failing city institution they all pull together.