Just saw 12 Years a Slave

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Saw the movie and have to say it's pretty damn good. I must say Fassbender did a stellar job as the plantation owner. Ejiofor carried the movie and should be up for an award. There wasn't any cookie cutter BS that sometimes comes from these types of projects. The internal mental battle of Ejiofor being free and then going through hell on the plantation was great. McQueen also did a great job with Fassbender's internal battle of being racist and at the same time drawn to one of his slaves (the duality of the situation in many ways still exists).
i didnt want to say it in my first post, but this mental battle was masterfully done. Seeing dude "become" a slave because he wanted to "survive" (and if you remember, he mentioned this earlier in the film) was amazing.

In fact the whole film was about dual feelings. Benedict Cumberbatch's character was a great example of this (and also good for those white people who will act like "there is no way I could be like Master Epps" well you could be Master Ford)

Interloper

Lurker Extraordinaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 219
I was hoping to catch this today but it aint out nowhere...wtf b ...

Is this still in limited release? I couldn't even find a theater in Savannah showing it

@smARTmouf - It says there should be showings in Chicago starting today according to the website in the link.

@Ziggiy - It's still limited, but there appears to be some shows in ATL. Don't know if you'd want to drive there to see it, but the wide release is November 1st.
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/post/3828/where-to-see-12-years-a-slave/
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/post/3828/where-to-see-12-years-a-slave/

Daps
Reppin
St louis
great movie!!!
xf0lqx.gif

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
steve mcqueen got next

what's steve's next projects>? he has talent and an eye for bringing the best out of actors..

Please don't think I'm dissing you brehs cos I'm not, but these posts are hilarious.

Steve mcqueen is a genius and has produced some of the best video art ever. He hasn't 'got next' because he doesn't need 'next'. He's been getting extremely prestigious awards since the 90's. He's the only artist ever to win the venus biennale and turner prize

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
:leon:

That's what I was waiting on deciding to see this movie: Not being another so-called black history movie and written and directed by blacks .

Peeping it this weekend :obama:

Marciano

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One of the greatest movies I've ever seen. Saw it in DC last night.

Some scenes had me tightened up my fist lol, had some folks crying - especially at the end. But everything about this movie was on point. From the directing, the screenplay, the cast, etc. Steve McQueen, John Ridley, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Lupita Nyong'o & Michael Fassbender should ALL be nominated for the Oscars & real talk, they should clean up.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it makes all the hysteria aroud Django look comical in retrospect. That movie is a damn comedy compared to 12 Years a Slave.

In a lot of ways Django was a comedy.

Django was never a serious film about slavery no matter how desperately some tried to pretend it was. In a weird way Django will probably make 12 years that much more powerful since dumbasses probably think they've seen the true terrors of slavery in Tarantino's film, so they're in for the shock and gut punch of their life.

With that said I hope this doesn't result in a Slavery film boom. There's more to the African American experience than our fight for freedom.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Please don't think I'm dissing you brehs cos I'm not, but these posts are hilarious.

Steve mcqueen is a genius and has produced some of the best video art ever. He hasn't 'got next' because he doesn't need 'next'. He's been getting extremely prestigious awards since the 90's. He's the only artist ever to win the venus biennale and turner prize

No diss to you either but McQueen himself recently admitted that after Hunger he did a few rounds around Hollywood. Of course, he talks about it in his typical non-fukks given fashion.

Steve, I wanted to begin by asking you how you came across Solomon's book, and why you decided to make this story as your next film. Had you been interested for a while?

Steve McQueen: Well, I remember doing all these meetings in Hollywood -- I've never told anyone this -- I did these meetings in Hollywood, after Hunger came out, and I got the impression, walking into the room, that people were surprised that I was black. So that was interesting, going to these meetings, because I imagine they thought I was an Irish guy, or white, or whatever, and I think that was sort of interesting. It was curious. But I think it started even before that, just thinking about slavery, and I thought "You know what -- that could be interesting, to make a film about slavery," and again, it's just once of those things where it's this massive hole in the canon of film. I thought, "This is a very interesting subject." It's sort of ridiculous to call it "interesting" -- of course, I have roots in slave history -- but I thought it could be very interesting to investigate. [...]

When you say you came to Hollywood, were you being offered certain kinds of scripts to direct?

No, I just think people were interested in finding out who I was. I think I was just being interviewed as one of the new filmmakers. That's what they do, obviously, with the new filmmakers -- try to figure out who they are and what they want to do.