"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

momma

All Star
Daps
I should've mentioned this also... Tried to keep it non racial, but race is definitely a factor. A lot of these startups companies and people doing the hiring / recruiting / interviewing are Indian.

Matter fact, back in March and April I had an interview with Google. My 1st interview was with the recruiter who was white, but the two other people doing my separate interviews were Indian/Arab. Needless to say, I didnt get the job. This was for an IT Apprenticeship job mind you cuz at the time I shifted my focus from programming to IT and was studying for my CompTIA A+. They will ALWAYS look out for each other before hiring someone outside of their race, and when they do hire someone it's anything but black. Not saying I didn't get the job specifically cuz I'm black, but I'm not gonna be naive and say it wasn't a factor. When you're black you have a better chance of getting hired by white people than by Indians, Chinese, Latino, etc...

This is true, of course it depends on the company and how lucky you are but a lot of the senior engineers right now are 1st generation immigrants who are more likely to look out for their own. But you also can't explicitly chalk up a rejection to whether you were the only ___ in the room. The whole thing can be a crapshoot sometimes, 10x that for a company like Google

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Breh why are you so mad? You literally the only one in here taking shyt personal and trying to talk shyt and beef with nikkas. Do you not know how to have a different stance on discussions you disagree with without coming off like an immature pubescent child? Or maybe you're dealing with some domestic issues? What's wrong breh? Share with your coli family :jbhmm:
Trust me I have nothing to be mad about. I just call out bullshyt where I see it. You are giving out bad advice to young brehs who may be curious and I don't rock with that. It's one thing to say that tech is not a get rich quick easy scheme and that it can be hard work. I agree with that.

Where I disagree is you telling young brehs on the come up that if they go this route they won't have any kind of social life or hobbies and they're better off driving trucks and fixing toilets. Loads of misinformation and overall
Terrible advice. If you gave IT a shot and it wasn't for you that's cool. just leave it at that.

Tesla and other companies out here pumping out self-driving trucks and you telling people to go opposite of technology and go to truck driving. :mjtf:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
I tried to get into learning coding (C#) but I couldn't stick with it. Its honestly not a passion of mine its not something I could stick with

I started to learn about networking though and I think that is the avenue I would like to go down. Is that a good career path?
Networking is a great path. Just understand like everything else in the world, it's going through a transformation from moving some of the stack into the cloud as well as automating a lot of the tasks that used to be done manually. Learn networking , but also make sure you learn the basics of Python and the basics of cloud computing (AWS/Azure/Google,etc.). You will be good

momma

All Star
Daps
I'm thinking about picking an easy major so I can teach myself on the side. I looked at the CS curriculum at my school and it goes all the way to Calc 3, Linear algebra, Discrete maths etc. I won't use any of those as a developer. You really only need Cal 1 and 2. Seems like the program is filled with a lot of theory tbh.

Let me stop you right there though, the tech job market is actually a bubble. At some point, in 10-15 years, these 100k jobs being handed out to fresh out of college grads and the 500k earning potential are not gonna be as available. The sooner you build up on expertise and mastery as well as theory knowledge, the more of an advantage you'll have once that bubble pops, because these pure coding jobs are not that hard to begin with and not only will automation come at some point but more and more kids are being groomed earlier with coding becoming part of elementary school curriculums. Could even be worth getting a master's.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
You're mostly right but the constantly having to learn new frameworks/languages/libraries thing mainly applies to LONG TERM marketability. You can coast making $150k maintaining some old system somewhere.
There are plenty of old legacy code jobs out there using old ass frameworks but those aren't sexy jobs. Also you essentially get paid to learn
:yeshrug: since most jobs will hire you even if you have 0 experience with what they use IF you have demonstrated you are experienced in other areas. Basically during the interview you need to be able to sell the fact that you can learn whatever tech stack they use......then you get paid 6 figures for months while you learn it. Not sure how that's a bad deal honestly, especially since you can then take what you learned and flip it into another higher paying job :russ:

Overall you're right, it's way harder to be a successful software engineer than people make it out to be and it gets to a point where the learning gets annoying (this not even including the studying of algo and ds you need to do to get the $300k+ jobs) but the pros outweigh the cons.

yup that’s what I do now. I’m working at a huge Financial institution working on an application codeBase that’s 30+ years old. I work with an older language (think Cobalt ish) and a bit of Java. It’s not necessary the most glamorous jobs working with the hottest languages,frameworks,technology like a lot of people mention but it pays damn well Imo. And a lot of these insurance/bank/government seem to operate on a “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it policy”. So it’ll definitely be around for awhile.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I should've mentioned this also... Tried to keep it non racial, but race is definitely a factor. A lot of these startups companies and people doing the hiring / recruiting / interviewing are Indian.

Matter fact, back in March and April I had an interview with Google. My 1st interview was with the recruiter who was white, but the two other people doing my separate interviews were Indian/Arab. Needless to say, I didnt get the job. This was for an IT Apprenticeship job mind you cuz at the time I shifted my focus from programming to IT and was studying for my CompTIA A+. They will ALWAYS look out for each other before hiring someone outside of their race, and when they do hire someone it's anything but black. Not saying I didn't get the job specifically cuz I'm black, but I'm not gonna be naive and say it wasn't a factor. When you're black you have a better chance of getting hired by white people than by Indians, Chinese, Latino, etc...
It's not just foreigners but companies would rather hire almost anyone over a Black Male.

Another reason why these other races, genders or nationalities flourish more than us is because they stick together. I work with people in tons of other countries and they always help each other out. Whether it's studying for certifications or getting work done on the job.

If you're the only black dude on the team they won't readily share info with you. Until they really get to know you or you bail their asses out first. When you don't have any real allies within these companies. You have to go extra hard to really know you're stuff.

Last edited:

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
If you get somebody to teach you the ropes and how to finesse these companies. It's as close as you can get to a get rich quick scheme.

I know various people myself included who started in the IT field making shyt wages. Only to see their salaries jump 40 to 60% in just 5 to 7 years. What other field can you see those kinds of salary gains?

If your a hustler and can learn every technology that's in demand enough to be proficient. You can easily get huge salary bumps every 3 or 4 years job hopping.

I don't t like the people in IT nor the work. But the amount of money you can make finessing companies is 2nd to none.
The military if you go from enlisted to officer.

shadowking

All Star
Daps
I'm Full Stack, this shyt is not easy..

Deadlines fukking suck, errors are a pain in the ass, which kill your free time.

There is such a long list of stuff you have to learn :russ:

APIs, Javascript Frameworks, PHP Frameworks, Docker, Python Frameworks, CSS, Version Control(GIT), Deployment, SQL, Servers... etc

I don't know how a coding camp can teach all these things in a couple months, it takes years of practice and implementation.

A coding camp doesn't translate well to jobs tbh...except by really intelligent stem folks who need some coding framework for their jobs
Otherwise without a degree you can't get in the door for many companies...
If u r lucky and have great projects on github or you contribute to open source projects fine but otherwise nada

Koli_Kat

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've been a freelance developer for three years now. I wouldn't definitely say don't get into it just for the money if you aren't into it.

There's outsourcing (indians) and Incels and extreme focus required. If you get distracted easily or have a lot of friends this ain't the career for you.

shadowking

All Star
Daps
Yeah alot of FANG companies are moving away from requiring degrees but it is still basically required for most jobs even if you have experience.

I’d say get into a niche field that will still be around for at least 10 years and always be learning the next big thing.
Nope...talk to recruiters. It is true that most self leaners know as much...even the research says so but they don't move away from hiring those wiry back comp science degree..but a few with good projects can break through and I mean good projects