"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

shadowking

All Star
Daps
I was actually thinking of how Computer Science degrees are useless. You learn a lot of theory and math that you won't even use as a developer (unless you're in ML/AI). Seems like you're better off getting an easy degree, then teaching yourself on the side. I honestly might do that.
If you have the time please do the degree.

Unfortunately it matters and the theory part is necessary for problem solving. You won't even realise it until your technical interviews lol

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I've been a freelance developer for three years now. I wouldn't definitely say don't get into it just for the money if you aren't into it.

There's outsourcing (indians) and Incels and extreme focus required. If you get distracted easily or have a lot of friends this ain't the career for you.

Incels :deadrose:

shadowking

All Star
Daps
This. Learn Java and you will easily be able to learn other languages. The only difficulty is mastering that one language and companies hire people based off of that. I'm not a developer but have a decent grasp of coding languages.

I'd say if you want to be a developer, you can learn it through bootcamps or self-study but you have to do be coding every day. You also have to have projects, examples of shyt you coded.

Now there are non-developer jobs out there that require you to at least understand code and those jobs pay quite well. So yea you may not get a developer role, you can get many other roles...application support, Application engineer, etc... Need to know code but won't be expected to write it from scratch.

So I agree and disagree with OP. Still the easiest way to a coding job is a computer science degree. There are other ways but this will get your foot in the door and tell companies that you at least have the ability to learn other languages.

You're not going to earn 100K off the bat without a compsci degree so I don't know who thins they can attend a bootcamp and land that kind of job. Anyone believing that is foolish.

The key will always be experience. What you learn in a classroom can't touch hat you learn on the job with deadlines and the fire at your feet.
You can't say learn java and the rest are easy

Learn c then and everything is a breeze lol

Seriously though. All developers are expected to learn more than one language. For most enterprise corporations java is used as a back end. A good knowledge of java and c++ is crucial
For startups speed is of the essence so some may use javascript and nodejs ..
Ignore bootcamps though..sincere waste except for very specific needs

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
Trust me I have nothing to be mad about. I just call out bullshyt where I see it. You are giving out bad advice to young brehs who may be curious and I don't rock with that. It's one thing to say that tech is not a get rich quick easy scheme and that it can be hard work. I agree with that.

Where I disagree is you telling young brehs on the come up that if they go this route they won't have any kind of social life or hobbies and they're better off driving trucks and fixing toilets. Loads of misinformation and overall
Terrible advice. If you gave IT a shot and it wasn't for you that's cool. just leave it at that.

Tesla and other companies out here pumping out self-driving trucks and you telling people to go opposite of technology and go to truck driving. :mjtf:

What's wrong with "driving trucks and fixing toilets" ? Not prestigious enough for you? Let me guess, you one of these uppity brehs that look down on blue collar work... just cuz a job don't require you sitting in a bright well air conditioned cubicle with a macbook doesn't mean it's something to avoid. A lot of self made brehs came up off trades, have they own companies and don't get their hands dirty no more.

There was just a thread on here the other day dispelling that this self driving trucks takeover shyt is a myth. Every time I look at indeed there's countless driving positions open. Work is work. I'm giving advice to the brehs that want/need a new skill and don't got time to waste. Coding, developing, programming, etc takes years to get good at and even then you might not find work. But this is a discussion. You disagree, then give your take and keep it moving without acting like a fukking female.

Last edited:

shadowking

All Star
Daps
I'm thinking about picking an easy major so I can teach myself on the side. I looked at the CS curriculum at my school and it goes all the way to Calc 3, Linear algebra, Discrete maths etc. I won't use any of those as a developer. You really only need Cal 1 and 2. Seems like the program is filled with a lot of theory tbh.
Actually you need a lot of discrete math for algorithm and data structures

You also need matrices and linear algebra for 3d and graphics applications.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Breh 12 year olds know HTML and CSS

C# and Java are basically sibling languages. If you know one, you’ll pick up the other easily

AWS is vast, but you learn about DevOps and CI/CD

:troll:

fail the interview but assume you passed brehs ... :troll:

The Darkness

Rookie
Daps
The thing about job requirements is that a lot of times they are constructed by an HR individual who may not understand the nuances of the job and a lot of times the requirements are over the top to make people self-select out of not applying. I learned to apply to everything regardless of the "requirements" if it was anyway in line with my abilities and interest.

Don't take job requirement descriptions seriously. They are usually not exactly matching what the manager who will do the actual interviewing and hiring will look for.
I realized this after I interviewed and got my first job.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
As a software developer at a major financial firm I can’t agree with everything stated here. I’m only ~5 years in my career but with all the interviews I went on, they’re not asking for you to be an expert in anything. These companies are looking for people who can be flexible and show a desire/ability to learn new things. Most of the stuff I’ve learned has come from on the job training and experiences, so even if you have basic-moderate knowledge of a few languages you’ll go a long way if you can convince them you’re willing to learn. Anyone can learn a coding language but having strong logic, critical thinking, problem solving skills will transfer anywhere.

Work-Life balance varies from place to place but speaking for myself and everyone I know in tech...our schedules are extremely flexible. There are days where you’re plugging away for 10 hours and there are just as many days (like today) where I’m doing actual work for about 2 hours and bullshytting for the rest of the day :yeshrug:

Because your business' product isn't software. Writing banking software is easier than (for example) writing a compiler.

Sorry breh but you are wrong here.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dime a dozen these days with India running shyt I guess

Indians are not desirable for full stack devs because they often do not focus on any skillsets outside of the one they are proficient in. Its a cultural thing that I learned when I was interviewing for my team in Noida.

They are masters of 1 trade, but rarely branch out of it. It actually makes them les hirable in India to be a jack of all trades. Whereas stateside its a plus.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I
"Learning to code" is one thing. Being a developer capable of implementing a solution from start to finish is another. And yeah that means learning everything that comes with being capable of doing that (SQL Server, JS, Node, a little Devops etc.).

Once you have the foundational level skills of knowing how to approach implementing a solution, learning the tools necessary to get it done becomes the easy part.

Microsoft biased web development is just one area.

And SQL Server is crap. (There I said it). Sybase, Oracle, NoSQL, Informix, MySql, even DB2... yep.. MS crap... nah :hhh:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Well the real problem with that 100k is that you aren't going to make it...

The second part of that 100k is it depends on where you are when you make it...

Making a 100k in texas will having you live pretty good...making a 100k in new york and you going to be around the poverty line...

Also :mjlol: at these "I just had this experience 5 minutes ago so let me tell you how it works" or "I just got on myself so let me tell you how to get on" threads:mjlol:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because your business' product isn't software. Writing banking software is easier than (for example) writing a compiler.

Sorry breh but you are wrong here.

99.99% of all Dev jobs will never require you to write a compiler. Its something great to know, and a good senior class project, but you aren't doing that in the real world.

Most in-house Devs are not at places where their software is profit center.
Most in-house Devs are modifying existing software for internal use

I'm not disagreeing with you, i'm just saying most dudes in this thread aren't going to be working on IDEs and OSes