Just got back from seeing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
It seems that Rachel Summers was in the 1st draft of the script
Despite fantastic reviews, great word of mouth and making far more money than any previous installment of the franchise, X-Men: Days of Future Past has had its share of fans and bloggers commenting on continuity and logic problems that could be off-putting or distracting in the film.

One such problem is that it's Kitty Pryde, not Rachel Summers, who sends Wolverine (not Kitty Pryde) back through time. Not only is this a change from the comic book source material, but arguably more relevant is that there's no precedent in comics or film for Pryde having the ability to do that.

During a recente podcast interview, Days of Future Past writer Simon Kinberg admitted that it's "kind of a cheat" and told The Q&A Podcast that he chalked the power up to being Kitty's secondary mutation -- a concept from the comics that allows for the characters' powers to evolve as they age and their bodies change -- and that it was done, in part, because the introduction of Rachel Summers would have been more complicated than it was worth.

Here's the main quote:

"Rachel was in the first draft of the script of this. In fact it was Rachel that sent Wolverine back in the first draft of my script. And I had Storm having this kind of complicated relationship with her because she's the orphan of Jean, who's Storm's friend, who's dead, and Scott, who was Storm's friend, who's dead. And more than anything -- and this is a movie I had to do this a lot on -- I had to do a hypertext introduction to a character. Let me just give you the Wiki pages on who Scott is and who Jean is, and they're not in this scene, but everybody's going to have to talk about them. And then there's going to be somebody who's upset because her parents are gone...anyway, it just seemed more complicated than it was worth for a movie that already had a lot of drama and a lot of complication. I don't remember at what point in the process I switched it to Kitty but what I thought was, it's a bit of a cheat because it's not really her power, but the way I was explain it if I really was attacked is that there's secondary powers that a lot of the mutants have in the X-Men universe -- secondary powers that evolve and emerge later in life. So who's to say that Kitty -- who is capable of touching people and having them phase with her through space, why can't it be that they also phase through time if she evolves her powers?"

He added, "In fact, I had a line that kind of covered this that I cut out of the movie, where Wolverine in the future realizes she's doing this and he says, 'I guess you're taking people through more than walls, now, huh kid?'"
http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/06/1...-past-writer-kitty-prydes-new-powers-are-a-s/

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I can't believe they wrote than Magneto x JFK plot element :guilty:

EDIT: spoke too soon...a twist

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
this is the an example of the bullshyt i talk about.
which is why they never should have strayed from the source material.
as it was written, by lee to claremont originally.
where it was already written from plot to dialogue to go from the page to the silver screen.

art barr
Ok this is the thing most comic fans don't understand about comic movies.

1) This is stated all the time, but always get ignored. What works in comics doesn't always translate to films. Different mediums work effectively in different ways.
2) And this is probably the most important point, Directors and Producers are artists. Although it's cool and VERY common for artists to appropriate from the work of others, no self-respecting artist is going to completely copy another artist's work. Although they are adapting Chris Claremont's work, they are not going to completely copy his work, and no one should expect them too. If you want Claremont's Day of Future Past to be a film, ask him to direct his own film, but any other director is going to put their own ideas in something they direct to make it theirs regardless of what they're adapting. It's crazy for anyone to expect a comic to be adapted panel by panel.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Ok this is the thing most comic fans don't understand about comic movies.

1) This is stated all the time, but always get ignored. What works in comics doesn't always translate to films. Different mediums work effectively in different ways.
2) And this is probably the most important point, Directors and Producers are artists. Although it's cool and VERY common for artists to appropriate from the work of others, no self-respecting artist is going to completely copy another artist's work. Although they are adapting Chris Claremont's work, they are not going to completely copy his work, and no one should expect them too. If you want Claremont's Day of Future Past to be a film, ask him to direct his own film, but any other director is going to put their own ideas in something they direct to make it theirs regardless of what they're adapting. It's crazy for anyone to expect a comic to be adapted panel by panel.

which is why this franchise is in the crapper and had to reboot.
plus, why lotr wins Oscars and marvel movies don't.
Claremont wrote these stories and they are easily translateable to film.
have you read, any Claremont xmen.
you do realize fc's Cuban middle crisis was handled better in mag's rise the nukes in the comic, that's just for starters.
have you read the phoenix saga?

just stop, breh.
ender was highly rated cause it stayed to the source material.
xmen is crap, cause it strays from the source material.
The spidey franchise needed rebooting cause it strayed from the source material.

art barr

Last edited:

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
A few days ago, we got word that an extended cut for Bryan Singer's X-Men: Days of Future Past was in the works. Now, new details have surfaced revealing more information about more than a few scenes from the original screenplay that were left out of the final cut! Check it out!

X-Men Days of Future Past was arguably the best CBM of the year. Bryan Singer delivered a near masterpiece with a tight-knit story, brutal action sequences, and a plethora of powerful performances. Despite all of the awesome stuff we witnessed on the big screen, there was a lot of great material that was left out including the now famous Rogue rescue sequence.

Yesterday, AnthonyXMF over at x-menfilms.com revealed a few details about a few scenes we did not get to see in the final cut of the film. The scenes were either left off the final shooting script or just cut, like the Rogue scene and the scene where Wolverine, Xavier, & Beast interrogate Mystique. Some of the information below has been seen before, but there is quite a bit of new information as well revealing new deaths, motives, and more. Check it out for yourself below!

1. Storm flies the X-Jet while Xavier uses his on-board mobile version of Cerebro to search for Kitty and Bobby.

2. When the future X-Men arrive to greet Kitty and Bobby, they encounter a new group of mutants which includes Blink (pictured above). Magneto uses his powers to threaten this group with nearby metal weapons, which leads to Blink holding her weapon to Magneto’s throat.

3. Bishop is the only one to really question the effects of changing the past. He expresses concern of their current history being negatively impacted, saying that some of them may not even exist in the altered timeline. Bishop warns Logan that he’ll carry the burden of retaining his memories when he wakes up in the new timeline. Logan easily shrugs it off.

4. When Mystique is helping the mutant army recruits escape the base in Saigon, Havok is hit with a taser and captured by Trask and Stryker’s people. Later in his own sequence, Havok is seen running from a Sentinel during a weapons test. Mystique later finds out that he died via an autopsy report.

5. While imprisoned under The Pentagon, a thick bearded Erik taunts a guard who ate some fish earlier. He tells the guard that he senses trace amounts of iron from the meal and makes his stomach rumble uncontrollably.

6. Charles, Beast and Logan recruit an 18 year old Juggernaut to break Erik out of prison. Diving from the X-jet, Juggernaut plows through the multiple ground levels. Logan jumps in directly after him and breaks all of his bones on impact.

7. Raven goes to the X-mansion to confront Charles, Beast and Logan about why Magneto is trying to kill her. In a later scene reminiscing a “First Class” moment, Hank tells Raven that she can take his serum to get rid of her mutation. She disagrees and tells Hank that maybe they could be together if he would accept their mutation.

8. Mutants around the world are being rounded up after the Mystique, Magneto and Beast are caught on camera.

9. Rogue goes airborne when Magneto grabs hold of her and levitates them out of the X-mansion.

10. Raven chooses a different path and decides to join Charles and Hank. Magneto says the government will eventually find them and attack. Charles reiterates a slightly modified line from the original trilogy, saying: “I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul who comes to that house looking for trouble.”

11. Jubilee was meant to appear as part of the future mutant team in a limited role. She has action pieces similar to Sunspot in the first act, though she dies in the third by being blasted off the wall.

12. Before Quicksilver’s epic scene, there was Juggernaut. He’s written as an 18 year old football player, a former student of Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters.

13. Future Xavier helps his past self to look into his own mind, sharing a kind memory between himself and Raven as kids, playing in the garden.

14. Iceman suggests to Professor Xavier and Magneto that they rescue Rogue from a militarized-Xavier mansion, guarded by Sentinels. Xavier believes she’s dead because he hasn’t been able to reach her mind, but Bobby believes it’s because she’s inside Cerebro, being experimented on in a location where Xavier’s mind can’t pierce.

15. Storm watches after Kitty and Logan once Xavier, Magneto and Iceman leave to find Rogue. Both Storm…and especially Bishop have lots more dialogue in the screenplay, when compared to the final film.

16. Mystique doesn’t want to be found, so, disguised as Charles, she breaks into Cerebro and destroys its mainframe and helmet.

17. Rogue’s quick scene with Bobby at the end remains the same, though it’s questioned if she should have her white hair stripe or not.

18. An older Beast and Mystique are seen teaching a Biology class in the altered future timeline.

19. Kitty and Colossus are seen walking and holding hands in the altered future timeline, hinting at their relationship in the comics.

20. The original end credits had Apocalypse falling out of the night’s sky and combining himself with Erik.
The reliability of this information is probably safe to question, but a lot of what has been revealed above does fit with what we've heard from several other sources. Hopefully, we'll be able to see for ourselves what was cut and what was not soon enough in the extended director's cut.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=103360

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Saw it last night. Was very dope. Gave me flashbacks of the Saturday morning double parter. I really wish Marvel Studios could connect up with the X-Men. The X-Men movies are finally dope again, and now they have a chance to start over and make everything fresh from here on out. It would be cool if they could tie it in with the Avengers somehow (I doubt it'll ever happen) after the next Apocalypse movie, which hopefully has Mr. Sinister in it.