Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Official Thread

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I'll take that challenge

Lost World isn't a great flick, so I'll meet you there, but that doesn't mean it's bad either. It's a darker movie than Jurassic Park, from the look of it to the tone, so it takes a while to get used to that coming off of Jurassic Park.

It's got some pretty damn good characters in Ian, Sarah, Roland, and even Peter Ludlow. Lost World takes the themes from Jurassic Park about man's folly and greed. InGen deciding to take the idea of a park to the mainland is a great way to communicate their hubris and yes it's not as subtle as Hammond's arc in the first movie, but lost world isn't a subtle movie.

Yes, the stuff on the mainland is silly and his love of Godzilla movies comes through way too hard, but the stuff on the island, including the opening kill with the little girl, has a viscousness and edge to it that works overall. And the trailer sequence is one of the best things the man has ever done, in any movie.
I would say the characters beside Goldblum were all pretty forgettable. Vince Vaughn is way out of place and Julianne Moore was kind of annoying as is the daughter.

There's some darkness to it that I like but the movie doesn't really know what it is.

And the trailer scene is just a redo of the car scene in part 1. It's not bad, but no where near one of Spielberg best scenes you smoking crack there, Mart :russ:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I would say the characters beside Goldblum were all pretty forgettable. Vince Vaughn is way out of place and Julianne Moore was kind of annoying as is the daughter.

There's some darkness to it that I like but the movie doesn't really know what it is.

And the trailer scene is just a redo of the car scene in part 1. It's not bad, but no where near one of Spielberg best scenes you smoking crack there, Mart :russ:

Get out of here. The tension with the glass, the pack, the suspense. All of that shyt. Even Toby Ziegler getting wishbone'd by the T-Rex's is dope. Easily one of his best scenes

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Get out of here. The tension with the glass, the pack, the suspense. All of that shyt. Even Toby Ziegler getting wishbone'd by the T-Rex's is dope. Easily one of his best scenes
It was a remake of part ones scene just bigger as was the raptor chase from the kitchen to wherever they were at in part 2. Spielberg was not very creative at all with thay flick. Not even close bruh. :francis:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It was a remake of part ones scene just bigger as was the raptor chase from the kitchen to wherever they were at in part 2. Spielberg was not very creative at all with thay flick. Not even close bruh. :francis:

I disagree. Great scene, great set up, and he knows what he's doing as per usual. I'll never say its a great movie but it has its moments. that's one of them

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Anybody watching jurassic world night on American ninja warrior?

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
PHfx5ZK1rKEMjg_1_l.jpg

What a shytty situation to be in. :damn:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I read a review yesterday. Saying the plot is pretty terrible with some good action/tension.

The more trailers I see of this movie the worse it looks. It was a first weekend watch for me but I don't feel the need to have to see this anymore.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
I read a review yesterday. Saying the plot is pretty terrible with some good action/tension.

The more trailers I see of this movie the worse it looks. It was a first weekend watch for me but I don't feel the need to have to see this anymore.

That's every single Jurassic Park. No one is going into these movies for a damn story. We going in here to see dinos fukk shyt up.

#Day1

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Rather than take that as a sign that these creatures definitely should not exist, the humans decide to meddle once more and mount a rescue mission. From there you may think you know where the film is headed but Fallen Kingdom is all about playing with those expectations and taking you to places you wouldn’t expect.

Ok. So now I am intrigued because I was legit gonna say PASS because how many times can one be expected to watch the same movie again and again with the same jump scares and running away and what not but it seems the creators are ready to flip the script a bit.......
:ohhh:My preconceived notions might've been off on this one

BY GAV MURPHY Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom opens with one of the most exciting set pieces of the year and from there it barely stops for breath as we’re bounced from a huge, high-stakes disaster film to a claustrophobic gothic horror.

Three years have passed since the events of Jurassic World, and the dinosaurs have been left to their own devices on Isla Nublar. To be honest, this feels like the best situation for both humans and dinosaurs given their vibrant history of not getting along. Unfortunately for the dinosaurs there’s a volcano on Nublar with different ideas and is threatening to wipe them out for good (again). Rather than take that as a sign that these creatures definitely should not exist, the humans decide to meddle once more and mount a rescue mission. From there you may think you know where the film is headed but Fallen Kingdom is all about playing with those expectations and taking you to places you wouldn’t expect.

J.A. Bayona feels like the perfect director to take control of Fallen Kingdom after proving he can handle large-scale destruction with confidence but is equally capable of delivering intimate scares. There are echoes of his previous works such as The Impossible (big old natural disaster) and The Orphanage (creepy old secret-filled house) in Fallen Kingdom but more impressive is how it draws on further inspirations like Alfred Hitchcock and Hammer horror style suspense:whoo::krs::ohlawd:. The latter is definitely felt throughout the film and Bayona’s use of light and shadows to create tension is one of the highlights of Fallen Kingdom. Whether it’s a toothy Baryonyx stalking through a tunnel lit by a menacing drop of lava or the claws of the terrifying new Indoraptor illuminated by a child’s night-light, Bayona’s horror seems classy and rarely resorts to simply jump scares.

Having massive scary dinosaurs trying to eat humans or fighting each other is always going to be brilliant and Fallen Kingdom has a lot of both. I spent most of the film either wincing in terror or laughing at the bonkers drama of an erupting volcano. The dinosaurs’ individual traits are also utilised for nice dramatic effect with the stand out being Stiggy the Stygimoloch whose solid dome head gets put to good use several times and who you end up rooting for as much as the humans by the end of the film. The same goes for series stalwart Rexy the T.rex (seriously who names these dinosaurs) who you can’t help feel a genuine bond for now having either been terrified by or watched her save the day on multiple occasions.
http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Ffist-pump.gif

If you thought there was going to be too much CGI in Fallen Kingdom, you're wrong. There's a surprising amount of practical effects on display – in fact, it's the first time I've felt genuinely disgusted by these creatures :blessed:. From the flies buzzing around Rexy’s stinking sleeping body to the mucus and phlegm we see, there’s an impressive blend of both CGI and practical effects in use that helps bring us closer to the dinosaurs. This closeness helps us either feel more afraid or in the case of Blue, a dramatic medical treatment scene really highlights the bond that Owen has with her. Practical effects and CGI are merged seamlessly here and we end up with a touching sequence that also draws in video flashbacks of Owen raising Blue which are obscenely cute.

If there’s a dinosaur on screen, that usually means something fantastic is happening in Fallen Kingdom, unfortunately the same can’t be said for the humans. Bryce Dallas Howard’s Claire and Chris Pratt’s Owen continue their infuriating relationship - she’s the boring stick-in-the-mud and he’s still the cool free spirit. They’ve broken up offscreen for barely tangible reasons other than so they can have a pointless reunion scene in Fallen Kingdom. Although it may be intentional that Owen has a more developed, believable relationship with a dinosaur than he does with Claire, it’s disappointing that the human relationships aren’t as credible as the those that exist between the humans and dinosaurs.

The supporting cast range from genuinely interesting to just baffling in their inclusion. On the former side you’ve got Daniella Pineda’s badass Zia whose reaction to seeing a dinosaur for the first time as a paleo-vet feels perfect. In the latter camp is Toby Jones’ Gunnar Eversol whose presence never really feels justified and the character himself acts like he has no interest in fulfilling the role he’s specifically been brought in to do. Rafe Spall and Ted Levine each manage to bring what could have been fairly standard characters to life with subtle and often strange inflections but I came away thinking Jones, Spall and Levine’s characters could have been better amalgamated into one superbly formed nemesis rather than three slightly disappointing ones.

In the end Jeff Goldblum and James Cromwell end up being the most unfulfilling characters. Goldblum’s return as Ian Malcolm feels like a bit of a tease while Cromwell’s Benjamin Lockwood - John Hammond’s former partner - ends up criminally underused. To be fair though, if Jeff Goldblum and James Cromwell are the most disappointing things in your film, you’re probably doing alright.

The Verdict
It’s a brave choice to literally blow up everything that’s come before but one that definitely pays off in Fallen Kingdom. While Jurassic World gave us a lovely self-contained story, Fallen Kingdom leaves us wondering just where the series will go for its third act - as long as Stiggy plays an extensive pivotal role, I’ll be absolutely fine with it.

IGN Score: 8.4 Great

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You're a special snowflake I suppose. :russ:

Nah not special at all. Well yeah I am but not in this case :myman:

Lemme explain:

There are let’s say, 100 critics. There’s more than that but let’s go with 100. And each of those 100 will have different opinions. Even on the movies they like they may like different things. A movie that’s awful to one person will be glorious to the next and vice versa. The reviewer on IGN says this flick is great and enjoyed it. I’m sure I can throw a rock and hit another critic who felt like it was trash. That’s people and that’s fine.

But the problem is when we are so swayed or moved by it in this day where there are so many opinions out there and many of them differ. It’s not like 20-30 years ago where you had a handful of critics and an even smaller pool of national critics. So really it’s picking and choosing. If you didn’t want to see a movie and felt like it was going to be wack, then find a critic who reinforces what you believed in the beginning and then it’s easy to come here and say “see I knew this would be trash” but if you wanted to love a thing it’s easy to do the same thing in reverse.

If I want to see a movie I really don’t give a shyt what someone says about it or doesn’t. I made up my mind I was buying a ticket either based on subject matter, director, cast, writer, etc. and no person is going to sway me from that. I’d always rather see for myself rather than have someone who’s not me tell me how something is. And in 2018 when we have social media and critics and opinions are aplenty, I’m always fascinated by someone still being able to be swayed one direction or the other.

Just my two cents breh:hubie: