"Jumpman Jalen and them (Bull)Dawgs, Time To Run It Back Swiftly" **Official 2023 Philadelphia Eagles Season Thread**

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
F5tg-1vaQAAtIDS

(Eagles Escape The Rainy Storm with Week 1 Win over Super Bowl Rival Patriots)

Vintage-Tv-Guide-August-31-2002.webp

(The Patriots honored Tom Brady's Career at Half-Time. Jersey/Number will be Retired in Summer 2024. He played the Eagles in Super Bowls XXXIX and LII. Eagles walk out with the W on Tom Brady Day)

j0_uj4gD

(Jalen plays his old College Teammate Mac Jones for the first time in the NFL)

*Eagles Win their 3rd Straight Home Opener under Sirianni with Jalen Hurts starting. They are 11-2 over the last 13 Home Openers since 2010
*Eagles Defense gets Pick 6, Fumble and Multiple Sacks
*Eagles Special Teams shines with Jake Elliot kicking several long range FG's
*Eagles Offense comes out rusty after limited Preseason Play. Weather was also a factor

*Jalen wins his 9th Straight Road Regular Season Game. He's now 17-2 over his last 19 games including the playoffs.
*AS THE NFC BEAST TURNS: Sam Howell gets first win as a starter against Gannon's Cards. GMen get blanked on National Television by the Boys

Was it Pretty? Nope. Do I care? Nope. First game, on the road against a good Bellichick Defense in bad weather. Not to mention. The Pats were playing even harder with Tom probably having some drinks up there in the booth with Robert Kraft. I thought Defense and Special Teams saved the day. Damn Slay is fast. He outran the Patriots something serious. We flustered Mac early but then he got comfortable. I think he's a decent QB that needs a little more development but he's not as bad some say. The Patriots D is legit. Belichick Defenses are always pretty strong. I think Offensively they looked rusty. Sure some of due to the Weather. But there were timing issues. Again give Belichick credit. Not getting Dallas involved wasn't good but again. Jalen was taking what Belichick gave him. We built up a decent lead and held them off. At the end of the day, I don't care about Pretty or Ugly Wins. This was an out of conference game against the AFC.

It's a W deposited in the bank that will only help us down the line. Sadly this was our Starters Preseason to get some kinks out since they didn't play during the Preseason. I still need to see more with this running back by committee stuff. We needed some power running out there and didn't get it. I like what I saw on Defense though they started playing a little soft and did prevent way too earlier. 16 points isn't the biggest lead, but they pulled off the gas once we were up. They did a great on those last two drives. I also didn't like some of the Play calling so there are things to clean up. Our new Coordinators are getting used to their positions. I will give them time to get things in sync. Overall winning the Road is hard. The got the W on Tom Brady Day. Now the Vikings just lost to Tampa so they will be coming in doing everything to not fall 0-2. Can't really overanalyze this game with all the variables. Quick turn around with Thursday. As for the NFC BEAST. Washington looked decent as they beat Gannon. I don't know what happen with the GMen, that was just a mess. Boys dismantled them.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
“I don’t know what their game plan was,” receiver DeVonta Smith said. “They did a great job of disguising their coverage. We never knew what they were doing, so I honestly can’t tell you what they were doing.” According to receiver A.J. Brown, the Patriots were trusting their cornerbacks on the outside, but clogging up the middle with defenders passing off in match-up zones. “I think Belichick did a really good job of just throwing lots of stuff at us,” Brown said. “Changing a lot of things up at the last minute, and it was tough. I don’t think we were not prepared, but I just think he was throwing so many curveballs and it was just hard to adjust.”

And this is why :beli: is the greatest def mind the game has ever seen

We don't throw enough curveballs on defense and haven't since the late great Jim Johnson :snoop:

Why can't we be creative on defense? We've got the personnel to mix up 4-3, 3-4 and 5-2...yet everything on def is predictable...RB goes in motion, no one follows him, zone...RB goes in motion, LB or S follows him, man...3 receivers on one side, 2 defenders on that side, zone...4 receivers on one side, 4 defenders on that, man

We simply out-talent teams, and to win a SB we have to out-scheme teams as well

One of the bright spots of the defense is Blankenship...that cac is a super solid S...but Justin Evans the other S is not it, put Sydney Brown in there ASAP

Last edited:

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
“I don’t know what their game plan was,” receiver DeVonta Smith said. “They did a great job of disguising their coverage. We never knew what they were doing, so I honestly can’t tell you what they were doing.” According to receiver A.J. Brown, the Patriots were trusting their cornerbacks on the outside, but clogging up the middle with defenders passing off in match-up zones. “I think Belichick did a really good job of just throwing lots of stuff at us,” Brown said. “Changing a lot of things up at the last minute, and it was tough. I don’t think we were not prepared, but I just think he was throwing so many curveballs and it was just hard to adjust.”

And this is why :beli: is the greatest def mind the game has ever seen

We don't throw enough curveballs on defense and haven't since the late great Jim Johnson :snoop:

Why can't we be creative on defense? We've got the personnel to mix up 4-3, 3-4 and 5-2...yet everything on def is predictable...RB goes in motion, no one follows him, zone...RB goes in motion, LB or S follows him, man...3 receivers on one side, 2 defenders on that side, zone...4 receivers on one side, 4 defenders on that, man

We simply out-talent teams, and to win a SB we have to out-scheme teams as well

One of the bright spots of the defense is Blankenship...that cac is a super solid S...but Justin Evans the other S is not it, put Sydney Brown in there ASAP
Beli had them in a blender :francis:

Brocka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
“I don’t know what their game plan was,” receiver DeVonta Smith said. “They did a great job of disguising their coverage. We never knew what they were doing, so I honestly can’t tell you what they were doing.”

According to receiver A.J. Brown, the Patriots were trusting their cornerbacks on the outside, but clogging up the middle with defenders passing off in match-up zones.

“I think Belichick did a really good job of just throwing lots of stuff at us,” Brown said. “Changing a lot of things up at the last minute, and it was tough. I don’t think we were not prepared, but I just think he was throwing so many curveballs and it was just hard to adjust.”

“The NFL is a huge league of disguises,” he said. “That’s what it is … so for us, I don’t think it’s necessarily about anyone else. It’s about us and how we control the things that we can.” - Jalen Hurts

New England took away the deep half from the outside receivers and, most impressively, the short half from Dallas Goedert. The tight end was shut out and had only one target the entire game. Some of that had to do with the defense, but there were a few occasions when Hurts simply missed him.

“We can’t go a game without getting him the football. He’s too good of a playmaker,” Sirianni said. “But there were some things that the Patriots did that made it difficult to get him quick, easy touches.”
While Sirianni said Johnson called the game “with conviction,” Hurts seemed to acknowledge that there will be an adjustment period.

“That’s something that we are navigating,” he said, “and that is something that happens when you have different roles and new guys and new places and new faces. We’re going to continue to grow.”

Sirianni conceded that rust may have contributed to the overall sloppiness. He opted to not play his starters in the preseason for the first time, something he indicated that he regretted.

mikishere

#byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC

at least we got one in carter :wow:

but it was clear as day that those coverages had hurts confused as hell. ultimately, we'll be fine on offense in the long run i think. i like gainwell, but we need to get swift and penny on the field more.

our safeties and LBs though :francis:

seeing CGJ look good in week 1 :francis:

KingCesar

All Star
Daps
I’m more concerned about the middle of the defense than anything else, especially with Nakobe Dean out now. The offense will probably get better. But our LB depth is bad and I can just see Kirk, Dak, Mahomes, Allen, Tua, and Purdy abusing the Eagles over the middle all season long.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I’m more concerned about the middle of the defense than anything else, especially with Nakobe Dean out now. The offense will probably get better. But our LB depth is bad and I can just see Kirk, Dak, Mahomes, Allen, Tua, and Purdy abusing the Eagles over the middle all season long.

Cover 3 with a S dropping down and Cover 2 zone could help with that

I also want to see more Nolan Smith in the dropping into coverage as part of zone blitz disguises

Lastly, more dime and less nickel on obvious passing downs

Last edited: