Jonathan Isaac stands for the anthem, doesn’t wear blm shirt

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
:snoop:as a devout Christian myself, these types of Christians disgust me. MLK's Knock at Midnight speech talks about how civil rights and Christianity go hand and hand and he criticizes churches that won't get involved in the movement.

Yup people love to preach God is a God of love yes He is but he’s also a God of Judgment.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
That's on the players, not Silver. They went to the league with these issues and the NBA tried to accommodate them. And I don't know how Silver can "let things be organic" outside of not condemning spontaneous player protests.

Adam Silver needs to play it like a heel in Wrestling by always going with the players he looks like a bytch so by proxy everything with him stinks of bytchness man worked under David Stern for decades

blalienz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Right now, nowhere
Christianity done a number on this dude. He's too far gone.
Somebody give that negro a Ashra Kwesi dvd:wow:
Seriously. Are we the only first world nation to play it before every sporting event? Even European nations don’t do this unless it’s an international game between the national teams. We don’t need to be reminded that we live in the US before every game.
When did it start tho?

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Agreed, but to your point if Silver publicly comes out and says it's "ok", that lessens the power of the move. He even recognized this that's why he's balked at the idea he could "allow" them to do it. Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

At the end of the day this stuff is all performative to a point, even Kap's initial protest. These types of actions are all about continuing the conversation and that conversation didn't start with Kap. LeBron and other NBA players were rocking "We Can't Breathe t-shirts" two years before Kap kneeled. The difference is his sport has a whiter and more conservative audience so he caught hell for it, which in turn morphed the act of kneeling into a much bigger symbol than it was or even arguably should've been. At the end of the day the player's are speaking out and putting actions behind their words and the league is doing a decent job of supporting them. The NBA is still a corporation and worried about their bottom line (see China) so I'm definitely not praising them, but they are and have been light years ahead of every other league on this stuff.
I'm not going to put Kaep's initial protest shoulder to shoulder to the Johnny come lately's finally seeing that agitation works only after others showed its impact. NFL players and others caught hell too for wearing t-shirts and even protesting Mike Brown's murder, way before Kaep kneeled as well. Silver gets applauded for always waiting until its painfully clear that something should be done. That's my issue with him.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Adam Silver needs to play it like a heel in Wrestling by always going with the players he looks like a bytch so by proxy everything with him stinks of bytchness man worked under David Stern for decades

Can you imagine the 30 for 30?

One hot night in August, commissioner Adam Silver receives a phone call that will change basketball forever.

Adam Silver [footage from before he died in 2040 of Covid 39]: So it's, I don't know, four in the morning and I get this phone call from a blocked number and I answer it like, "Kyrie, what do you want?"

[cut to a fancy oak carved politicians office]

Governor Irving: So yea I was looking at my almanacs and I just had this crazy idea. I had been prank calling Adam for like... A few weeks at this point but this was serious. I had an idea.

Silver: He says to me "Minge", that's what he called me I think short for Commissioner, "you have to Goodell it." I'm about to hang up but Kyrie stops me he says he's serious, this is going to change the world.

Silver: So I called all the coaches together and all the other player union heads and I told them that no matter what the hell I said over the next couple of years the league would never fine any of them for civil disobedience or actually enforce any of the crazy shyt I talked to the news about. I don't think they believed it at the time, but when I went on Tucker Carlson, that little rat, on Tuckers show and gave the interview about considering re-segregating the league, then they believed me :troll:

Jblaze204

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uptown NY
Wait until Tariq checks his ancestry
"Isaac is of Puerto Rican descent due to his maternal grandfather and is eligible to play for the Puerto Rican national team."

full

Not FBA.Yes sir family ya dig

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
He's being a distraction. If Isaac wants to stare at his holy book instead of take action, let him. We shouldn't turn him into a martyr or give him the publicity he wants.

Just ignore him and press on.
Yep.. I don't agree with it at all but its his right at the end of the day. It hurts but not every black person is going to be down for the cause. You can make the bible as the face for your actions or lack there of but still at the end of the day this says that your hoping things stay the same as far as non-equality and keeping in the same power structure. Also on the flipside he seems like a inverse trouble-maker. Like his intentions are good but his actions feel like they are just as cancerous as a teammate who's a good player but doesn't practice, is a locker room cancer, stays out all night, is in the wrong crowd, etc. You can't pull people into your religion or get them closer to god if they can't stand you as a person. But maybe I'm seeing this from a wrong lens.

There was a story I heard once from Shaun Bradley way back saying that when he was on the Sixers they had an informal but mandatory team meeting but it was held at a strip club and he couldn't go because he was a staunch and hardcore Morman and they couldn't be at places such as that. But I believe they either moved the meeting to somewhere else or simply gave him a pass and told him what it was said during his absence because at the end of the day they respected his beliefs and liked him as a person.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Yep.. I don't agree with it at all but its his right at the end of the day. It hurts but not every black person is going to be down for the cause. You can make the bible as the face for your actions or lack there of but still at the end of the day this says that your hoping things stay the same as far as non-equality and keeping in the same power structure. Also on the flipside he seems like a inverse trouble-maker. Like his intentions are good but his actions feel like they are just as cancerous as a teammate who's a good player but doesn't practice, is a locker room cancer, stays out all night, is in the wrong crowd, etc. You can't pull people into your religion or get them closer to god if they can't stand you as a person. But maybe I'm seeing this from a wrong lens.

There was a story I heard once from Shaun Bradley way back saying that when he was on the Sixers they had an informal but mandatory team meeting but it was held at a strip club and he couldn't go because he was a staunch and hardcore Morman and they couldn't be at places such as that. But I believe they either moved the meeting to somewhere else or simply gave him a pass and told him what it was said during his absence because at the end of the day they respected his beliefs and liked him as a person.

the thing is though there are TONS and TONS of strong men of faith in the nba and they ain't doing that

even on his team james ennis, Michael carter williams