Jokic is really about to be a 3peat MVP

Mars

Superstar
Daps
The MVP is about what happens during the regular season, and not meeting some arbitrary requirement of reaching a certain stage in the playoffs.

Beyond that though, it's silly to look for reasons why a player doesn't deserve it all because you don't think they meet this [playoff] standard. Their performance should be appreciated exactly as it is, and if it's deserving of winning MVP then there's no reason why anyone should look for reasons for why they're not. There seems to be this agenda on this board to downplay what he's done over the last few seasons, rather than acknowledging we're witnessing one of the best big men to ever do it.

Folks get far too caught up in these narratives of what are essentially meaningless awards. Folks care more about the storylines around the sport than they care about the sport, itself.

I agree, however...seeing a multiple MVP winner lose in 4/5 gms without making it to the finals isn't a good look....People are comparing Jokic to all-time greats, but he doesn't have an all-time great playoff run.

Ganso Bomb

All Star
Daps
No way. He shouldn't have won last year either. 27/14/8 is impressive, but not good enough to win as a 6th seed over two guys putting up 30/11 with better records. Harden couldn't even win averaging 36/6/8 as a 4th seed. Complete inconsistency.

Giannis should be the clear frontrunner right now. 31/11/5 with the best record in the league.

Daps
No way. He shouldn't have won last year either. 27/14/8 is impressive, but not good enough to win as a 6th seed over two guys putting up 30/11 with better records. Harden couldn't even win averaging 36/6/8 as a 4th seed. Complete inconsistency.

Giannis should be the clear frontrunner right now. 31/11/5 with the best record in the league.
This is such a reductive way to measure MVP worth.

Both Embiid's and Giannis' respective teams only won three more games, and neither of their teams had a top-ranked record in their conference. Jokic carried his team without his two main options all season. You can't compare what happened during Harden's season either because those circumstances are only isolated to that season; Giannis won that season because his team had the best record in the league.

There's no inconsistency about it.

I don't know why y'all keep comparing box score stats as if that's the only thing that's weighed when discussing who's deserving.
I really hope not I don’t even think he deserved the last one to be honest.
How did he not deserve it? How many Nuggets game did you watch last season?

Daps
I agree, however...seeing a multiple MVP winner lose in 4/5 gms without making it to the finals isn't a good look....People are comparing Jokic to all-time greats, but he doesn't have an all-time great playoff run.
That's because his support cast has been trash and/or underperformed.

It's no coincidence the one time he went to the WCF he had someone step up to be his sidekick. What did anyone expect him to do last season without his #2 and #3 options? Beat the NBA champions? The teams he leads typically overperforms during the regular season because of how great he is, which then lead folks to believe they're better than they actually are.

How many stars would've led their team to 50 wins with Gordon, Barton, Morris and Jeff Green as a support cast? There isn't one.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
One has zero to do with the other.

That's what makes NBA MVP voting so ridiculous at times.

You know what you sound like? Those baseball hall of fame voters who won't give someone a unanimous vote because Babe Ruth didn't get that.
Griffey should have got every vote along with bonds and others. I get your point though. Awarding joker a 3rd mvp in a row with a middling team is a disgrace and slap in the face to other far superior players

Ces1ne?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
The media can't allow this. If certain players are over-awarded, then that means other players are under-awarded.

I don't believe any player should have more than 2 MVPs without reaching the Finals.
MVP is voted for the regular season…sit down please

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is nonsensical giving jokic this kind of love. Again nothing against him personally but this is a sham forreal.

Joker won 47 games his1st mvp year and 48 games year. Im old enough to remember that you wouldnt even be in the conversation unless your team won 50 games *cough 2006 kobe*

When Bird won his 3rd straight, he was the undisputed best player in the league and the celtics were in the middle of winning 2 ships with 4 straight nba finals. In those regular seasons boston won 62, 63, and 67 games those years.