John Witherspoon & DJ Vlad Talk Friday, Boomerang, The Boondocks & More

SireSiah#KWU

Mark 2:16-17
Daps
Reppin
North Carolina
Cube wasn't the blame for this. It was New Line Cinema according to Witherspoon. The only reason Cube got a bit more was due to writing credit and part of the production company. But everyone was paid evenly, so nobody really for fukk'd over contractually. Chris Tucker since then became a big star and asking more than what the budget costs were.

I was just messing man that's y I threw the smiley up there.

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
I looked and Friday only made like 6 million opening weekend. The way that stuff works, Cube had to have cut a deal and sold it to or partnered with a distributor in order to get it released. I wonder what that deal looked like, I'm sure they all came up on the sequel, but that first deal couldn't have been too sweet.

It def became a hood classic, but at the time Deebo was legitimately the most successful actor in that movie when it dropped.
I mean he definitely had been in the most movies mainstream and hood.

Ice cube was second

All those other folks blew up after or because of the flick.

Last edited:

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
This was 94. There was no expectations for this. Just Cube and a bunch of chicken circuit comedians in a low budget comedy shot in a few days. Movie flopped too. It grew in cult status years later

nikka AINT YOU FROM CHICAGO?

FRIDAY WAS THE BIGGEST shyt POPPING IN BLACK CULTURE WHEN IT DROPPED.

THE WHOLE SCHOOL YEAR WAS SPENT QUOTING THAT MOVIE.
:devil:
:evil:

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Chris tuckers was not famous before this movie, he had been on Def jam, that's about it.

Even if he only made 50k up front, it was by far the biggest check he'd ever seen at that point.

IT SAYS 5K NOT 50K.

IM SURE HE MADE 5K BEFORE.

FACT IS HE MADE THE MOVIE A CLASSIC PERIOD
AND THE SEQUELS ONLY EXIST BECAUSE OF HIS PERFORMANCE IN THE 1ST.
:devil:
:evil:

Cheech&Chong

rip chinx
Daps
Reppin
Nobody was checking Friday for chris tucker. Maybe after the fact people did cuz of word of mouth. But no one said oh man I gotta go see that new chris tucker movie. No one made them sign those contracts, cube woulda moved onto the next name on the list. This movie made everyone in it. People are saying cube should give back to them. fukk that, they're all millionaires now. Take a fukking month off and do Friday 4. Get off your high horse, that cube got you on, and get over yourselves. The only reason I saw this movie was because Cubes name was attached to it. Plain and simple