John Witherspoon & DJ Vlad Talk Friday, Boomerang, The Boondocks & More

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
To be fair that has nothing to do with what he did AFTER the movie made all its money. He could've easily hit the cast off wit more off principle. Ain't really no excusing this shyt. The movie made SO much more than they paid to make it and he paid them SO little. There was plenty of room to give them more after the movie was successful.

true ... but out of curiousity do you know how much of a cut his Cube-Vision got from that after New LIne took theres..

I'm not trying to be funny .. being curious... how much did he really make off that back then

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
to be fair Cube was gonna pay the 2M for the movie out of pocket...

but john did get a raise for p2 .. from 5k to 400k is a hefty raise when you looking only at the numbers

movie made 8x its budget.....John made 80x his salary for the sequel :wow:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
:what: fukk is u talkin bout fam the movie did not flop. And it was 95. And its Chitlin circuit. Not Chicken circuit. Meanwhile they weren't Chitlin Circuit comedians anyway. Damn near everyone in the cast was involved in hit movies before Friday. Off principle. Since that movie was a fukkin HIT. not a flop. Cube shoulda came back and blessed the cast wit somethin. Instead he pocketed all that bread. shyt was an insult.

The initial run in theaters was nothing. It didn’t get really popular to around 97. What hit movies was Tucker in before this? Mac? This was their breakout performance. Cube and Long were the only mainstream stars

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
true ... but out of curiousity do you know how much of a cut his Cube-Vision got from that after New LIne took theres..

I'm not trying to be funny .. being curious... how much did he really make off that back then

Depends on his deal with New Line.

rule of thumb is that you usually have to double your production budget to break even. They did that. So with the remaining 21 million, hopefully Cube had at least a 50/50 deal in place so that he got half of the profit. So that's like 10 milion. He put up some of his bread to get it made (let's call it 1 million), so that leaves 9 or so milli. Cube and DJ Pooh wrote the movie, but I don't believe that Pooh had any production related credit, just writing credit so Cube pocketed most of that profit. How much he gave Pooh is the mystery.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The initial run in theaters was nothing. It didn’t get really popular to around 97. What hit movies was Tucker in before this? Mac? This was their breakout performance. Cube and Long were the only mainstream stars

Not true mayne. Movie made it's budget back (damn near doubled it) in the first weekend. Was overwhelming success. Me and my friends saw that shyt multiple times back then in high school.

Weekly breakdown
Friday (1995) - Weekly Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Not true mayne. Movie made it's budget back (damn near doubled it) in the first weekend. Was overwhelming success. Me and my friends saw that shyt multiple times back then in high school.

Weekly breakdown
Friday (1995) - Weekly Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

Well I stand corrected then :leon: People always speak on this movie like it didn’t do much during its theater run. Also forgot Reginal Hall was in this too. So @spliz you right on that too. nikka how old are you? :flabbynsick: I was 7 when this dropped

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Well I stand corrected then :leon: People always speak on this movie like it didn’t do much during its theater run. Also forgot Reginal Hall was in this too. So @spliz you right on that too. nikka how old are you? :flabbynsick: I was 7 when this dropped

already said I was :flabbynsick:

started college in mid 90s breh!

avon barksdale

i want my corners
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Prison
Im late but this movie did make money when it first came out..because it came out when bad boys came out and me and the family was trying to see which one to see and we pick Friday and wasn't disappointed.

But back to the subject cube did jerk Chris because even eddie griffin got a million for that master p movie foolish and Cube had more money then P

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Im late but this movie did make money when it first came out..because it came out when bad boys came out and me and the family was trying to see which one to see and we pick Friday and wasn't disappointed.

But back to the subject cube did jerk Chris because even eddie griffin got a million for that master p movie foolish and Cube had more money then P

shyt always kills me cats who got jerked turn right around do it in return

But in this case, at least Cube did right and gave these cats raises for the sequel. No one could have known how successful this movie was gonna be on that shoestring budget.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Word to Jerry Heller. Cube learned from the best. :troll:

Cube wasn't the blame for this. It was New Line Cinema according to Witherspoon. The only reason Cube got a bit more was due to writing credit and part of the production company. But everyone was paid evenly, so nobody really for fukk'd over contractually. Chris Tucker since then became a big star and asking more than what the budget costs were.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The difference is that Master P made the movie out of his own pocket and had no other studio affiliation, just distribution. Cube's movie was under a studio that he does not own or control. So, that studio provided the budget and how much each would get paid. And every actor in that film was paid equally. And in 1995, that was more money for them than anything else due to none of them were yet major stars at that time and the budget for the film was extremely low. New Line Cinema didn't expect it to blow up, and once it did, they KEPT that money because it was their film, not Cube's. That's the biggest misconception. Master P at the time and still is was more smart when it came to ownership. Foolish was strictly under No Limit Films. So Master P had complete control over everything including financing the movie.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Regina King.

I swear everyone has been getting those two names mixed up for 20 years:russ: