John Landis says hes “bored sh*tless” By Mahv-L movies - says "all mahv-L movies are interchangable"

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
:ohhh: Holy shyt. The amount of cake made off that movie is insane

38 million dollars worth of advertising for a 5 mill budget movie really puts into perspective how unprofitable "profitable" movies really are. Good thing it made 200+

In the interview he said if Get Out cost 38 to promote, The Mummy probably cost 50 or 60. I think he's underestimating.

I remember around the time of the first Avengers hearing their ad budget was 150.

shyt is bananas.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
38 million dollars worth of advertising for a 5 mill budget movie really puts into perspective how unprofitable "profitable" movies really are. Good thing it made 200+

In the interview he said if Get Out cost 38 to promote, The Mummy probably cost 50 or 60. I think he's underestimating.

I remember around the time of the first Avengers hearing their ad budget was 150.

shyt is bananas.

And that's not even accounting for the cut you gotta give the theater

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
37, turning 38 in a couple weeks....is that supposed to mean i know him?....like i said in the previous post: i know and like some of the work yall crediting/citing as examples for him, but i still dont know who he is....never cared enough to find out he was the director of those movies.....and i'm not gonna fake like i know when i dont....

That's fair. Site full of film geeks tho figured you knew directors by name or rep:manny: my bad. I was wrong

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's fair. Site full of film geeks tho figured you knew directors by name or rep:manny: my bad. I was wrong

it's cool....i'm a film geek in the sense i've seen & own a lot, am willing to talk in depth about them, etc., but knowing a lot of directors by name/rep, naw, not me....i know some, not a lot....i know more actors/actresses, but even then i know them more by movie names, not real names.....you'd probably have to tell me the name of the character he/she played and/or the movie he/she was in before i got it....

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps
MCU movies are such shallow experiences, so formulaic.
Despite DCEU movies being a hit and a miss, at least they'll make you feel something, question/think, etc. There seem to be philosophical concepts and queries pursued. Whether it's pretentious or not doesn't matter at least they try.

I expect this to change with Black Panther, it looks much deeper, more serious and nuanced and less cringe cac-humor-fests.
If Black Panther is like every other Marvel movie, I'm going to be super disappointed, I'm a black man I want the film to be good.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
So Guardians is interchangeable with Winter Soldier?

giphy.gif

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
MCU movies are such shallow experiences, so formulaic.
Despite DCEU movies being a hit and a miss, at least they'll make you feel something, question/think, etc. There seem to be philosophical concepts and queries pursued. Whether it's pretentious or not doesn't matter at least they try.

I expect this to change with Black Panther, it looks much deeper, more serious and nuanced and less cringe cac-humor-fests.
If Black Panther is like every other Marvel movie, I'm going to be super disappointed, I'm a black man I want the film to be good.

You clearly haven't seen Winter Soldier or Civil War....or even Age of Ultron.

Secondly, everything is formulaic...nothing under the sun is original...this isn't the 1500's, anything you write down on paper is/has been already though about, its how you present it that adds a different "spin" on it.

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps
You clearly haven't seen Winter Soldier or Civil War....or even Age of Ultron.

Secondly, everything is formulaic...nothing under the sun is original...this isn't the 1500's, anything you write down on paper is/has been already though about, its how you present it that adds a different "spin" on it.

Yes I have seen those films, granted Winter Soldier was less 'solve for x' than the others I'll give you that. First Avengers movie, Age of Ultron and Civil War were as formulaic as they come, they were all basically the same movie.

Again, DCEU movies pushes for more nuanced topics and complex questions. They take the comic book world and apply it to the real world. What would happen if a flying, alien Demi god existed on earth? You could feel the impact of superman's punches, the power every time he broke the sound barrier, inspiration when he first took flight. He was truly a man in a cardboard world, in a way it was 'realistic' the damage he caused with Zod.

MCU by comparison is hollow. Movie like Thor or Gotg should (imo) make one feel a sense of wonder. A place like Asgard, realm of the gods, falls flat because the films are so fukking basic.

DCEU's problem is sometimes they put too much into their films, hence the convoluted mess that was BvS theatrical release. But their films are at least anything but basic.

It's not Marvel's fault though, it's Disney. They are all about the bottom line. Ironically in the comics, Marvel is generally the more nuanced universe and DC's is basic.

If you just want to have childish fun (nothing wrong with that) and enjoy campy cac humour then MCU as it stands is for you. I can see how it would be more 'fun'.

MCU is Deja Vu, but safe. Their 'formula' is guaranteed money and rave reviews. Disney, like Apple, know what the sheep like.

DC's is more a mixed bag, hit and miss but at least they can fukking surprise me.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
37, turning 38 in a couple weeks....is that supposed to mean i know him?....like i said in the previous post: i know and like some of the work yall crediting/citing as examples for him, but i still dont know who he is....never cared enough to find out he was the director of those movies.....and i'm not gonna fake like i know when i dont....
You must don't and not care about production and creative process of film's? Or have no interest in the industry or the background of film's in general?
Just kick back and watch then switch off.

You are not a film geek at all.
You are a spectator.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Yes I have seen those films, granted Winter Soldier was less 'solve for x' than the others I'll give you that. First Avengers movie, Age of Ultron and Civil War were as formulaic as they come, they were all basically the same movie...

If by that you mean the good guys win, but then again the good guys always "win" in both franchises. Find me a DC/Marvel movie that isn't formulaic? Batman wins, the X-Men win, and so forth. Logan was the only Marvel movie wherein no one really "wins" and for that (and many other things) its getting a lot of solid reviews.

X-Men explored what it was like for children to be raised as mutants in a world wherein everyone thinks they're monsters...this is handled better in First Class, Days of Future Past, and many more. Again, I understand where you're coming from, but I think you're being biased to a few films wherein DC delivered some nuance. Keep in mind both franchises had gaudy over-the-top beginnings. From Steel to Batman and Robin. We're only getting the mature subject matter recently.

Logan, Civil War, and Man of Steel, are the hardest hitting movies when it comes to subject matter. I would've included the Nolanverse Batman films but it seemed like he wanted to be done with the films and lost a lot of the substance in the final film.

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
Yes I have seen those films, granted Winter Soldier was less 'solve for x' than the others I'll give you that. First Avengers movie, Age of Ultron and Civil War were as formulaic as they come, they were all basically the same movie.

Again, DCEU movies pushes for more nuanced topics and complex questions. They take the comic book world and apply it to the real world. What would happen if a flying, alien Demi god existed on earth? You could feel the impact of superman's punches, the power every time he broke the sound barrier, inspiration when he first took flight. He was truly a man in a cardboard world, in a way it was 'realistic' the damage he caused with Zod.

MCU by comparison is hollow. Movie like Thor or Gotg should (imo) make one feel a sense of wonder. A place like Asgard, realm of the gods, falls flat because the films are so fukking basic.

DCEU's problem is sometimes they put too much into their films, hence the convoluted mess that was BvS theatrical release. But their films are at least anything but basic.

It's not Marvel's fault though, it's Disney. They are all about the bottom line. Ironically in the comics, Marvel is generally the more nuanced universe and DC's is basic.

If you just want to have childish fun (nothing wrong with that) and enjoy campy cac humour then MCU as it stands is for you. I can see how it would be more 'fun'.

MCU is Deja Vu, but safe. Their 'formula' is guaranteed money and rave reviews. Disney, like Apple, know what the sheep like.

DC's is more a mixed bag, hit and miss but at least they can fukking surprise me.
post of the year