Joey Badass; Brining it back to the essence or gimmick

RhymesWell

All Star
Daps
Its part gimmick but what part of the game isn't these days. By the way he's managed by Johnny Shipes, same guy who manages Krit, Dza, and Currensy. This fits Shipes approach when it comes to marketing. Smart move.

Clem

Get out my way, pimpin'.
Daps
Reppin
California
:beli: What hasnt aged well?

Saigon - Stocking cap - YouTube
Saigon - True Story {WORLD PREMIERE} - YouTube
Saigon - Yes - YouTube

Then the nikka dropped the album of the year with GSNT.... If saigon aint get support from NYC , Joey not going to either.

I was listening to Abandoned Tracks Volume 2, if I recall correctly. Saigon was never a great rapper he was a good one--and there's nothing wrong with that.

Eight years ago (I think Warning Shots came out around then) you could think an artist of Saigon's level would blow up. Like, there was a time where every Papoose tape was a must listen? How crazy is that.

The expectations for emerging rappers seem to be different these days. Unless you're an industry plant (A$AP Rocky) or have an insane buzz (2Chainz) your ceiling is like a post about you on 2dopeboyz or THE FADER.

I don't care either way it's just kind of interesting to think about.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Rappers are like pro wrestlers...all of them have a "gimmick"...even if it's "I have no gimmick"...big reason why a lot of the "real hip hop son" types are like marks to me, they're kinda oblivious to it all and take certain things way too seriously...only a problem to me if the gimmick is way too contrived or otherwise annoying...far as this kid goes, far as what I've seen there's nothing wrong his angle...basically comes down to if you like his music or not

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I was listening to Abandoned Tracks Volume 2, if I recall correctly. Saigon was never a great rapper he was a good one--and there's nothing wrong with that.

Eight years ago (I think Warning Shots came out around then) you could think an artist of Saigon's level would blow up. Like, there was a time where every Papoose tape was a must listen? How crazy is that.

The expectations for emerging rappers seem to be different these days. Unless you're an industry plant (A$AP Rocky) or have an insane buzz (2Chainz) your ceiling is like a post about you on 2dopeboyz or THE FADER.

I don't care either way it's just kind of interesting to think about.
Youre right :ehh:

And a lot of it has to do w/just the sheer volume of rappers coming out these days. I cant even go on Datpiff. Where do you start? The internet + cheap recording equipment + cheap video equipment has been a blessing and a curse to the game.

Clem

Get out my way, pimpin'.
Daps
Reppin
California
When you have a song with a line about "not having any gimmicks" then it's probably a gimmick.

The_Third_Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Joey hasn't put out a mixtape yet, and motherfukkas are predictin his album sales already.

To hiphop heads nowadays, having a rapping/personal style = gimmick

With that being said joey is nice, but I wanna hear a complete project by him to judge him

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Joey hasn't put out a mixtape yet, and motherfukkas are predictin his album sales already.

To hiphop heads nowadays, having a rapping/personal style = gimmick

With that being said joey is nice, but I wanna hear a complete project by him to judge him
Not at all I wish people sounded more distinct, the only people I really check for are people who dont sound like everyone else

But this dude is just blatantly riding that 90s wave... shyt just seems so forced and w/o it he would have no style of his own

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Just listened to Funky Ho's and he's legit. He's dope cuz even tho he's emulating a style, at least its a style thats not that common and he's doing it well. 1,000 rappers out there taking their style Kanye, this lil nikka is taking his style from Mr. Cheeks.

It may get old in the future, but its dope to me now. He's like a more likeable, laidback Lupe.