Joey Badass; Brining it back to the essence or gimmick

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Something about a kid who was born in the 90's making "90's" style music kinda seems funny to me. Not saying he couldn't have been raised on it or w/e but his whole stee seems forced. His music is kinda cool tho.

meh. not a big deal. look at me. people on here were convinced for years that i was pushin 40. im a mid-80s baby but i was always into the '80s just as much as the '90s. as a kid, vinyl & cassettes were just as much a part of my life as the ninja turtles.

but that part of the hardknock video where he gets down into a '90s stance & dials numbers on his cell phone like nas in "it aint hard to tell" kinda comes off as forced. i do think that somebody is coaching his steez & presentation but that really shouldnt matter since most good artists had people doing that for them. another lost art in this rap game.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
^^^^
:pachaha:
:pachaha:

I can see how he could be seen as a gimmick. It's hard as hell to break through making mainstream hip hop. But you're guaranteed to appeal to internet heads and hypebeasts making "real hip hop" so I could see cats going that route knowing they could secure internet celebrity. Look at Lupe. Cat were calling him a gimmick back in the day.

lupe was referred to as a gimmick because he switched his whole chit up. before he pandered to backpackers & hipsters, he was rooming with stack bundles & doing songs with un kasa.

mikishere

#byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK7h1tnRiwA]Joey Bada$$ - Daily Routine [Prod. Chuck Strangers] - YouTube[/ame]

:ahh:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
“[The Notorious B.I.G.’s 'Hypnotize'] was what drew my attention to hip-hop. I knew that song word for word when it played on the radio or TV. And I was only like two [years old]. I forget what the countdown show was, but I used to wait, because it used to always be number one. So I would wait for it to come on and sing it. That was my song.

:flabbynsick: and people like to play like im crazy on here.

Daps
meh. not a big deal. look at me. people on here were convinced for years that i was pushin 40. im a mid-80s baby but i was always into the '80s just as much as the '90s. as a kid, vinyl & cassettes were just as much a part of my life as the ninja turtles.

but that part of the hardknock video where he gets down into a '90s stance & dials numbers on his cell phone like nas in "it aint hard to tell" kinda comes off as forced. i do think that somebody is coaching his steez & presentation but that really shouldnt matter since most good artists had people doing that for them. another lost art in this rap game.

Yea same deal with me born in 85 and was always into rap music.

thekidfromqueens

the best borough
Daps
Reppin
Southside, Queens
Born in 89 and same deal . Though I didn't grow up on Rakim and Kane and G Rap, I did grow up heavily on Big, Nas and Jay. I'll admit, I'm from queens and wasn't fukking with Pac like that back in the day. A lot of heads did not like him due to the east/west thing and even being young and ignorant as hell, you subscribe to those same beliefs. honestly the only Pac songs I really knew back then were "I get around" "california love" "changes" and "dear mama". anyway that's a tangent.

hyped as hell for nintetynine tomorrow. gonna make history.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I'm feeling the youngin. Really the only thing I didn't like was the childish "fukk the police" speech on Survival Tactics; that shyt sounded so fake. But I'll give him a pass since he's what, 17?

He can rap, is surrounded by some grimey new producers, and looks like he could be Pete Rock's son. I can dig it

nikka looks JUST like Pete Rock..lol...

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Born in 89 and same deal . Though I didn't grow up on Rakim and Kane and G Rap, I did grow up heavily on Big, Nas and Jay. I'll admit, I'm from queens and wasn't fukking with Pac like that back in the day. A lot of heads did not like him due to the east/west thing and even being young and ignorant as hell, you subscribe to those same beliefs. honestly the only Pac songs I really knew back then were "I get around" "california love" "changes" and "dear mama". anyway that's a tangent.

hyped as hell for nintetynine tomorrow. gonna make history.

this is how I could tell u was young and born in 89...lol...cause nikkas still fukked wit Pac before and after he died...

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
this dudes obviously a geek and will never blow. :laff: @ anyone trying to listen to beats made on pots and pans in 2012 :laff:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin

this is me in the bolded...I had nikkas on here thinkin Im in my late 30's n shyt..lol...