Joey Badass; Brining it back to the essence or gimmick

Clem

Get out my way, pimpin'.
Daps
Reppin
California
He's destined to become the next Saigon. "Real hip hop nerds" aka Rosenberg types, will sing his praises then when soundscan numbers get released shyt gets quiet.

Man, I was listening to some old Saigon shyt the other day and it sounded really bad. That shyt did not age well at all. It's actually crazy to think that people, myself included, thought dude was going to blow up.

Emperor Sol

Knowledge and Wisdom
Daps
Reppin
CAN
Dude is dope but honestly, his name is mad corny. I mean, Joey Bada$$ with the dollar signs? fukk outta here with that :beli:

But musically I fukks wit dude :manny:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
^^^^
:pachaha:
:pachaha:

lupe was referred to as a gimmick because he switched his whole chit up. before he pandered to backpackers & hipsters, he was rooming with stack bundles & doing songs with un kasa.

Except he didn't switch his whole shyt up, he broadened it. The Un Kasa tracks are on the first FNF tape which most back packers and hipsters love. There's gangster shyt on all of those mixtapes really. Fact of the matter is, just like cats pander to the mainstream (aka "sellout") cats pander to the "real hip hop" heads if they know they don't have the charisma to blow up on a mainstream level. Plus it's easier to appeal to "real hip hop" heads. The blueprint has been laid down for a couple decades now, where as what's popular in the mainstream is always changing so it's harder to pinpoint what they'll respond to.

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
saigon was wack from the jump

and joey is doing one thing really smart, he has a crew, thats what alot of upstart rappers dont understand, if you aint co-signed by somebody big, you gotta have a crew

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
this is me in the bolded...I had nikkas on here thinkin Im in my late 30's n shyt..lol...

lol. the funniest part is when people older than me would get mad and call themselves throwing insults by referring to me as "grandpa" and chit.

Except he didn't switch his whole shyt up, he broadened it. The Un Kasa tracks are on the first FNF tape which most back packers and hipsters love. There's gangster shyt on all of those mixtapes really. Fact of the matter is, just like cats pander to the mainstream (aka "sellout") cats pander to the "real hip hop" heads if they know they don't have the charisma to blow up on a mainstream level. Plus it's easier to appeal to "real hip hop" heads. The blueprint has been laid down for a couple decades now, where as what's popular in the mainstream is always changing so it's harder to pinpoint what they'll respond to.

alot of lupe's catalog caters to white listeners. thats alot of switching up right there homie.

and mostly what i meant by steez was his whole presentation. on & off wax.

if i could equate this back to joey, he and/or his people are doing a great job of straddling the lines out the gate. he appeals for every facet of east coast hip-hop fans. from hipsters, to elitists to regular dudes to street dudes to goons to fly niccas to black to whites to asians to whoever.

TEKBEATZ

Banging Pads
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Saint Petersburg. FL
Joey BADA$$ - 1999 - Pro Era

15 hours until the mixtape drops:obama:

In ten minutes

so%20freakin%20excited.gif

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
Man, I was listening to some old Saigon shyt the other day and it sounded really bad. That shyt did not age well at all. It's actually crazy to think that people, myself included, thought dude was going to blow up.

:beli: What hasnt aged well?

Then the nikka dropped the album of the year with GSNT.... If saigon aint get support from NYC , Joey not going to either.

Last edited by a moderator: