Joel Osteen: I'm not a poverty minister and being poor and broke....doesn't bring any honor to God

Chrishaune

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
The "church" is full of greedy folks just like the outside world.

If you look at the history of Christianity, it started with people selling all they had and everybody contributing for the good of everybody else in the group.

Now you have "pastors" and "church boards" that take from everybody. That's not the true church.

There are good churches though. Most of them will be small and they won't have a lot of wealth. That's just the nature of it. They understand what's important and it's not the "stuff".

Last edited:

MacNCheese

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NJ
The gospel is unambiguous in saying that at the very least wealth is an obstacle to salvation.

Mark 10:23–25: "Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!" The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

Matthew 6:19–21: Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also"

There's also the fact that Jesus himself and all his apostles were either born poor or gave up their wealth during their spiritual journey. As terrible as Catholic leaders are, I don't think there's any movement that has baldly perverted the tenets of a religion the way American Protestantism has.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Amen Joel :blessed:

*Searches the Bible frantically for where it says it’s good for anyone to be poor … can’t find it*

:patrice:

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
These motherfukkers don't follow their own book which I've been saying forever.
its cause they arent really processing properly

and are looking in only one direction

"someone should die in my place" without considering its true meaning

all you have to do to properly understand it is put your name everywhere you see Jesus name to think about it in a more profound way

IE lets imagine the text is its own world (2D world) and the reader is in a separate world (3D world)...the 2D world is seemingly always headed in one direction but the 3D world has choice...

Genesis 45:24-28

24 So he sent his brethren away, and they departed: and he said unto them, See that ye fall not out by the way.

25 And they went up out of Egypt, and came into the land of Canaan unto Jacob their father,

26 And told him, saying, Joseph is yet alive, and he is governor over all the land of Egypt. And Jacob's heart fainted, for he believed them not.

27 And they told him all the words of Joseph, which he had said unto them: and when he saw the wagons which Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of Jacob their father revived:

28 And Israel said, It is enough; Joseph my son is yet alive: I will go and see him before I die.

tumblr_lm8jakvg991qelfv4o1_500.gif

Dipsey Doo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Another cherry pick a bible verse thread without acknowledging context

Bottom line: While God does not expect us to live on nothing, he does require us to maximize our resources for the building of God's kingdom.

Money is a tool to build the kingdom, provide
for oneself and to be generous towards others

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
but didn't jesus say "it's easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle, than a rich man to get into heaven"?

i'm surprised that Osteen wants to fukk with his chances like this :lupe:
He doesn't actually believe.

The Bible tells you that evil is good at disguising itself.

You see it happening all the time. Republicans disguise themselves as freedom lovers while restricting everyone's rights.

Dictators disguise themselves as presidents that were elected in a fair election despite the piles of evidence proving otherwise.

Thieves disguise themselves as holy men. They were doing it in Jesus' own time and they haven't stopped. Can you imagine what he would've said if he found out about the crusades? Slavery? Colonialism? The coverups in the church? People did evil things whilst disguising themselves as peaceful Christians. They think he too would've hated Martin Luther King instead of embracing him as someone who actually understood and cared about the message he was trying to spread about pacifism, mutual aid, anti-poverty, and empathy.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
ironically this is the one part of the gospels where he messed up

and many historians point to as the real reason he was crucified

but this is because the gospels were a greek text not a jewish one and did not take to heart the sacred nature of a jewish temple.

the money changers had a deliberate purpose. Joseph giving silver to Benjamin and the exchange of goods as a pattern is homage to Esaus world...

1 Corinthians 6:20

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

the first river of the garden is Pishon and goes through the whole land of Havilah, and there is gold there...

Last edited: