Joe Budden Podcast episode 268 - "Go listen to Episode...."

Dontay Flaco

fka King Napz
Daps
Reppin
VA
I aint took a Rory opinion serious after he said something along the lines of he didnt understand Dilla's impact.
You can tell he became a fan of hip-hop during the rocafella era and never studied the pioneers. Which is crazy cause he from ny and its so accessible to him:snoop:
Yeah, I remember that episode, which is funny because around that time he was playing all those "bare foot" sleepers. And Dilla was literally one of the founders of that sound. :russ: Fast forward to now he's saying he loves Dilla. Lol.

Last edited:

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
I don't get people giving a pass on some "he wasn't born when he was hot" shyt.

I wasn't born when all the old rock legends were dominating, I still know who they are and a song or two from them.
I wasn't born when the early 80s rappers were out, still know them. Wasn't born when Wilt and Kareem were dominating, still know them.

It has everything to do with ignorance and lack of interest for the genre and less to do with age.
nail on head
its ignorance....especially when these lil keeds have the power of 3 supercomputers at their fingertips. and will still try to tell you that conscious rappers are boring. i bet he knows who 80% of the lils are tho

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
I don't get people giving a pass on some "he wasn't born when he was hot" shyt.

I wasn't born when all the old rock legends were dominating, I still know who they are and a song or two from them.
I wasn't born when the early 80s rappers were out, still know them. Wasn't born when Wilt and Kareem were dominating, still know them.

It has everything to do with ignorance and lack of interest for the genre and less to do with age.

I don’t think it’s a lack of interest.
It’s a much different era now. Most definitely for rap. A 18 year old in 2019 is way different from a 18 year old in 99. It’s nothing a kid can come accross on a regular basis for artist like redman. Even me. I can’t name a redman album over the last 10 years. I legit can’t think of it without googling. It’s too much music. So it’s understandable to not know every artist from the past. Some will slip by. Just like some current artists slip by. I didn’t know Maxo Kream been doing this shyt for almost a decade. shyt happens

MercuryHayes

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Stationed in Antarctica, Coldest Niggga Alive
the rock legends argument is a weak one especially when you're likely comparing a beatles, rolling Stones, or even Metallica to Redman.

you can't fault the youngins if they don't know certain artists.. I know I had the luxury of bet and mtv actually showing music videos on my TV. getting older artist fed to you when you casually chilling is completely different than digging and looking for music on YouTube.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
the rock legends argument is a weak one especially when you're likely comparing a beatles, rolling Stones, or even Metallica to Redman.

you can't fault the youngins if they don't know certain artists.. I know I had the luxury of bet and mtv actually showing music videos on my TV. getting older artist fed to you when you casually chilling is completely different than digging and looking for music on YouTube.
Like I said. It’s more Joe’s fault that his kid doesnt know Redman than anything else.

ReadOneBookAWeek

Smoking on a Cac Pack
Daps
Surprised this show is keeping high numbers considering how stale hip hip has been this summer

Daps
How not? My 14 year old knows Redman.

Its many factors that plays into that but it's his sons fault his son is from Jersey city. If you want to spit a bar its best served to to know the legends in your own back yard. Joe even back then was always playing some lyrical shyt when he was on the Internet. 30+ I could go deeper my uncles made it point to play good jazz rock and roll hip-hop soul funk even some afro type shyt .

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Surprised this show is keeping high numbers considering how stale hip hip has been this summer

u think so? cos for me we've had albums from:

meg
maxo kream
nas
drake
schoolboy q
beyonce
dreamville
bandana
lil nas x
tyga
chris brown
chance
tyler

throw in the lion king film, r kelly, asaps arrest, meeks legal issues and nipsey's murder and you can easily say its been a hot summer so far

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I don’t think it’s a lack of interest.
It’s a much different era now. Most definitely for rap. A 18 year old in 2019 is way different from a 18 year old in 99. It’s nothing a kid can come accross on a regular basis for artist like redman. Even me. I can’t name a redman album over the last 10 years. I legit can’t think of it without googling. It’s too much music. So it’s understandable to not know every artist from the past. Some will slip by. Just like some current artists slip by. I didn’t know Maxo Kream been doing this shyt for almost a decade. shyt happens
I wouldn't say that knowing Redmans latest shyt is like knowing who Redman is and how he sounds or a classic song or album from him.

How can you not know the biggest legend from your own city? Who still does interviews, who is still mentioned, who still has advertised concerts and on.
How can that not be a lack of interest and ignorance. It's not like some obscure rapper from the west coast who was on some DOC song. Redman has as many followers as Joe, of straight legacy.

I'd say that it's even easier today, you have wikipedia. You hear about your dad being signed to Def Jam, you check Def Jam's wikipedia and see Redman. Or you flick by some documentary see Redman. You say damn, who is this dude with 3 classics from my town, classic movies and shyt, you type Redman and you have his whole discography at your disposal. That was not the case in 99. I can't take your opinions on rap seriously if you don't know legends like Outkast (who moved like 50 million copies or whatever) or Redman. If you don't know Drag-on, Hell Rell or Tim Dog, that's whatever.

Maxo Kream was a dude making music in his bedroom, dropped his first album on an independent label last year, sold zero copies.
How can you compare this to perhaps the biggest legend out of NJ and one of the best rappers of all time with nearly 30 years of legacy :dahell:

Last edited: