Joe Budden and Crooked I say "It Was Written" was even better than "Illmatic"

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
^^^that

or you could trust that the album genuinely wasn't that great when released and still isn't great now.

like i said. if i ever feel the need to go to IWW i truly only long to hear three songs. sure i can play the whole thing but my mind will drift...

it's a 3.5 - 4 mic album on it's best day.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
it's best to juxtapose with Reasonable Doubt, an album that totally outclasses IWW on every front by following a hybrid Illmatic/Ready To Die approach.

i'll play Reasonable Doubt all day.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
funny, that was one of the songs that made me sick when i cracked the cd and first played it.

i recall clear as day. me and two of my boys, drug dealers, in my moms living room with me when i copped IWW & Stakes Is High same day.

these dudes both shrugged IWW off and in a roundabout thuggy way gave the De La album props. That's the crux of the reaction. this was coming off that IWW sampler that came with the source where he was rhyming over the Kane young gifted and black beat. expectations were high.

fail fail fail.

fscballin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
TWISY
NYSOM
It Aint Hard To Tell
Halftime
Life's a B****
Memory Lane
One Love
Represent
One Time 4 Ya Mind
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
any collection of songs from a hip hop artist on one ep/lp (single of double disc)

fscballin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
street dreams is my favorite song of both albums :ahh:

thats cool, but lets be honest

it aint hard to tell>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>street dreams

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Illmatic is the quintessential Hip Hop album. IWW is the album that epitomizes the mafioso style of rap that focuses on the gangster lifestyle and the pitfalls/luxuries of that life. I think both albums when contrasted shows the manifestation of Nas' psyche. You notice how his perspective broadens as he starts live beyond his projects.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
What Nas did on Take it in blood is breathtaking.

Nas's flow was simply murderous on IWW. It seemed like he was hellbent on blacking out on every track.

IWW >>

I like Illmatic but I don't get the hype. Maybe because I wasn't in NY in 94.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
I think the reason why people like IWW more than Illmatic is because the overall tone of the album just thumped harder when you played it. Illmatic was smooth and had a street poetry vibe with the lyrics/beats.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
you are judging the records from a revisonist angle.

then, trying to reprocess something you were not there for.

that we can easily judge from your post content.

you were not even cognitive when these albums took place in its original sales envelope.

plus culturally you were highly deficient during this era like stoopid guy, and ho cuffin are. in their comments as well.

you are exposing your lacking qualities culturally .

as you really are just coming from a noob gateway fanbase's perspective.

which lacks relevency culturally and timeline wise.

as anyone in the culture can tell you never were culturally, there or aware back then.

even if you listened to rap records.

art barr

I'm speaking from the perspective of a nikka who had both albums when they dropped..fukk all the bullshyt..I know what the hate was about...nikkas like u and Big Mel are fukkin hypocrites...point blank...u nikkas will tell the nikka who created hop hop he don't know shyt about hip hop if he disagree wit yall..

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Guys,

No one is going to convince another with these pointless paragraphs and insults. Music is subjective. There could be a variety of reasons why one would prefer an album over another.

Me personally, IWW captured my mood perfectly at a certain point in my life. Perhaps Illmatic did the same for others so even though I don't feel it like that, who am I to tell him it's trash?