Joe Budden and Crooked I say "It Was Written" was even better than "Illmatic"

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I know OBFCL came out a year before IWW..but did the nikka NOT have a scarface themed song on Illmatic?..did he NOT have a mafioso themed track with G Rap the year before?..did he NOT have a mafioso themed verse on Mobb Deeps album a year before?..was he NOT the only non Wu feature on OBFCL?...did he NOT have kinpin/mafioso themed verses all over AZ's album a year before?...Nas been talkin that shyt since Illmatic bro...shyt..I didnt even see AZ get this much criticism for Doe or Die..and that shyt was way more mafioso themed than IWW...nikkas act like the nikka just popped outta nowhere on some other shyt..if u felt that way..u wasnt a fan to begin with..cause that shyt was mad gradual..with everything leading up to IWW u woulda thought muthafukkas wouldnt have been surprised by it...but this is what it all boils down to...the nikkas that hated on IWW..was the nikkas who wanted another Illmatic..and/or hated the fact that Nas blew up..they wanted him to themselves...period...the quality of the album RARELY comes into play when u see nikkas criticize it...

you are judging the records from a revisonist angle and trying to reprocess something you were not there for.

that we can easily judge from your post content.

you were not even cognitive when these albums took place in its original sales envelope.

plus culturally youbwere highly deficient during this era like stoopid giy, and ho cuffin are. in their comments as well.

you are exposing your lacking qualities culturally .

as you really are just coming from a noob gateway fanbase's perspective.

which lacks relevency culturally and timeline wise.

as anyone in the culture can tell you never were culturallybthere or aware back then. even if you listened to rap records.

art barr

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was on the fence on this one, but now that I know what Joe Buddens thinks there can no longer be any doubt or debate. :rudy:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I know OBFCL came out a year before IWW..but did the nikka NOT have a scarface themed song on Illmatic?..did he NOT have a mafioso themed track with G Rap the year before?..did he NOT have a mafioso themed verse on Mobb Deeps album a year before?..was he NOT the only non Wu feature on OBFCL?...did he NOT have kinpin/mafioso themed verses all over AZ's album a year before?...Nas been talkin that shyt since Illmatic bro...shyt..I didnt even see AZ get this much criticism for Doe or Die..and that shyt was way more mafioso themed than IWW...nikkas act like the nikka just popped outta nowhere on some other shyt..if u felt that way..u wasnt a fan to begin with..cause that shyt was mad gradual..with everything leading up to IWW u woulda thought muthafukkas wouldnt have been surprised by it...but this is what it all boils down to...the nikkas that hated on IWW..was the nikkas who wanted another Illmatic..and/or hated the fact that Nas blew up..they wanted him to themselves...period...the quality of the album RARELY comes into play when u see nikkas criticize it...

you are judging the records from a revisonist angle.

then, trying to reprocess something you were not there for.

that we can easily judge from your post content.

you were not even cognitive when these albums took place in its original sales envelope.

plus culturally you were highly deficient during this era like stoopid guy, and ho cuffin are. in their comments as well.

you are exposing your lacking qualities culturally .

as you really are just coming from a noob gateway fanbase's perspective.

which lacks relevency culturally and timeline wise.

as anyone in the culture can tell you never were culturally, there or aware back then.

even if you listened to rap records.

art barr

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
People didn't like It Was Written cause it wasn't Illmatic... simple as that...

I'm not saying everybody that didn't like it was for that reason... but the massive backlash it got was from people who were doin' that rap nerd shyt where something becomes the trend and you have to hate it. G Rap did it, no prob. Cuban Linx comes out, no prob. Then it becomes somewhat of the 'in thing', so regardless of how good the music was, first inclination was to dislike it and pick it apart. People acted like 'Street Dreams' was the most commercial/fake 'Scarface' song ever- when the content was actually about idolizing street hustlers and hustling. It was just one of those things where 'critics' wanted to champion De La Soul and The Roots and shyt like that, and disown what was then the popular street music.

And Nas can go 'head with that shyt about how he was out-of-character in that era... he got "out of character" when he just started makin' wack shyt like the Firm album. Prior to that, he was still doin' his thing. And even tho' he's had some questionable albums at times, he's right about one thing: if "fans" and music critics had their way, their favorite artists would make the same album 10 times over. I'm sure he coulda done 'Illmatic' again if he wanted, but dude was movin' in real time.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
and for the record....

AZ's 'Doe Or Die' was perceived as a let down at the time too. Fat Joe managed to put out the stronger cash grab mafiosa album around the same time and get the props AZ was supposed to get.

and beats like 'Mo Money, Mo Murder' always felt unremarkable to me. Anything spanish guitar tinged or Henry Mancini stringed out or harped up on some goofy godfather steez was irritating to me.

Cuban Linx DID NOT HAVE THOSE GENERIC ASS ELEMENTS. fukkin' Glaciers Of Ice sounds like chinese devil elves attacking someone theme music.

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
and for the record....

AZ's 'Doe Or Die' was perceived as a let down at the time too. Fat Joe managed to put out the stronger cash grab mafiosa album around the same time and get the props AZ was supposed to get.

and beats like 'Mo Money, Mo Murder' always felt unremarkable to me. Anything spanish guitar tinged or Henry Mancini stringed out or harped up on some goofy godfather steez was irritating to me.

Cuban Linx DID NOT HAVE THOSE GENERIC ASS ELEMENTS. fukkin' Glaciers Of Ice sounds like chinese devil elves attacking someone theme music.

Tell me more of the olden times...

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
ahhhhh, your snark will only get you so far young man....for these times were indeed real....and i tell the truth.....

wan fo me pain yo toenail?

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
yeah, nas was calling himself escobar on the infamous, which dropped a few months before ob4cl, so nas would be part of the trend to if thats the case.
even more reason for it to be backwards to get at him for it.

revisionist showing off their finest work, in this post i quoted.

on the infamous,..nas's idea of escobar was more a verse.

it wasn't the fake direction and departure away from what nas was at the core like the direction of iww.

iww is the blueprint ny ill emcee sellout album.

used as the template to make a purposefully commercial record for an eastcoast artist.

that came about right in the segueway of hiphop as a culture.

being fully separated from rap as a business and culturally as the driving force behind rap as a business.

it was purposefully created and festered in the cultural weak point of rap as a business and taken advantage of, for purposefully wack monetary gain.

art barr

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"It Was Written" is fvcking fantastic.
If we relied on "cultural relevance" to determine how dope stuff is some of the greatest artists in the world wouldn't be greats
because everyone who realized how dope it was AFTERWARDS would be called "Revisionists".

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
"It Was Written" is fvcking fantastic.
If we relied on "cultural relevance" to determine how dope stuff is some of the greatest artists in the world wouldn't be greats
because everyone who realized how dope it was AFTERWARDS would be called "Revisionists".

No no no, only knee-jerk reactions at the time of an albums release are credible. Don't let an album breathe or look at it from a fresh perspective lest you be labeled a "toy" by some Beat Street ass nikka.