Joe Budden and Crooked I say "It Was Written" was even better than "Illmatic"

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
for all the huff and puff, aint noone proved IWW wasnt a sell out album. i see people using their second hand internet 'facts'. point of the matter is, nas as a pure artist was not present for IWW. the dude who tried to commercialize the trend was. but as long as dudes watch their mouth on cuban linx idc because compared to other albums in the same genre, its apples and oranges..

i also agree with big mel, RD>IWW as time goes.

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nas definately could have made another "illmatic" if he wanted too. infact, if "if i ruled the world" had a typical primo formula with him sampling "the world is mine" from the world is yours remix, yall would probably jerk off too that record.

it was written is my favorite album from him, i already explained why. on top of that, i feel if he would have put all the unreleased material on i am and stillmatic those would have been his best 2 records overall.

nikkas mad that nas smoothed out his sound because illmatic tanked, and he found a way to be lyrical and sell. lol the worst part is, to me he sounds better on smoother beats, because he had that smooth laid back flow(he's not prodigy/raekwon)

again, i only compared ob4cl to IWW lyrically, because nas was better lyrically on IWW than Rae on his solo and big mel was trying to say there was only a few good performances which is a lie. i don't how you can say something like suspect sucks but halftime is a great performance.

my 2 favorite songs from nas are deja vu and the street dreams remix personally.

Death6six6

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Both albums are classics to me!!!

now if only Nas had released the original Nastradamus and not what was released and made Streets Disciple 1 disc of the bangers,his discography would be flawless,as is it is still great but flawed!!!!

:beli:

KEEPITTRILLA

soon as i catch the vibe tell em 2 fetch th hearse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TX
and I say they're fukking idiots :yeshrug:

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
As an unbiased Nas stan, to me IWW is superior to Illmatic.

Maybe because it's the first album that I didn't just listen to, but I studied it. I was 12. Everyday, I played that album in 96 was like a school project. I would listen to Nas rhymes intuitively, then read the lyrics inside the CD booklet. Hearing and seeing this lyrical masterpiece left a lasting impression. To this very day IWW is my favourite Nas album of all time.
IWW is damn near flawless it creates that eerie QB NY feeling

Take It In Blood May be the best lyrically crafted rap song of all time

I bump IWW whenever I wanna get in a zone, that shyt makes me impeccable

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
So NOW u know legends that predate the legends I know even tho u don't know who I know...what I know..what I've done in my life..who I've ran with...nikka..U DON'T KNOW ME...I don't know u either..so that's that..and funny thing is..with this argument...I THINK ILLMATIC IS BETTER..its just that I ain't shytting on people who think IWW is better...cause I FEEL that the album got more hate than it deserved...damn near EVERY mainstream rapper has sold out atleast a Lil bit..but NAS can do NO right in ur eyes..u even called Untitled a commercial album...that's how u know u be on some bullshyt..if it was anything else..it WASN'T a commercial album whatsoever..not only did the nikka release the album...he dropped a dope mixtape along with it..so he can make sure he got across with shyt he ain't get to get across on the album for label reasons...still moaning and bytchin..about some shyt that happened literally 13 YEARS ago...how bout this?..just don't listen to the nikka no more...u and Big Mel..instead of constantly postin in every NAS thread like he's the dad that walked out on yall...

all i know is concepts and precepts you do not and still have not digested.

it isn't a mystery,....b!!

you always giving pass to nikkaz in sellout bullshyt,..instead of keepin' it true.

this is the numerous multitude of times,...you been offkey culturally.

like is said,....my company endorsed a legend,..that predstes you knowing rakim, or whomever you know.

no disrespect to ra,....if you respected the culture i would not say shytto you.

stop giving these fakkit ass culture thieves passes.

just cause you know a legend don't mean you a real ass bboy no way.

rastafari stands alone,....i hold the same principle true for me as a bboy.

get in touch with the principles of the culture and we won't have an issue.

stop playing favortism,..to sellout nikkaz period.

art barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Both Top 20 albums except 1 is #2 and the other is somewhere in the 10-20 range

i would like to lol att the rant where you try to qualify the overproduced sellout iww as a top twenty album.

if you make a statement that offbrand,...you better come with a rant, motherfukker.

art barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Absolute, spot on truth here. And I'm on record shytting on Kurtis Blow as well. Another thing programmed fans would think doesn't belong in he hip hop 101 handbook.

This was a nice post to wake up to. Salute.

preciate it,....handshake!!!

art barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
So NOW u know legends that predate the legends I know even tho u don't know who I know...what I know..what I've done in my life..who I've ran with...nikka..U DON'T KNOW ME...I don't know u either..so that's that..and funny thing is..with this argument...I THINK ILLMATIC IS BETTER..its just that I ain't shytting on people who think IWW is better...cause I FEEL that the album got more hate than it deserved...damn near EVERY mainstream rapper has sold out atleast a Lil bit..but NAS can do NO right in ur eyes..u even called Untitled a commercial album...that's how u know u be on some bullshyt..if it was anything else..it WASN'T a commercial album whatsoever..not only did the nikka release the album...he dropped a dope mixtape along with it..so he can make sure he got across with shyt he ain't get to get across on the album for label reasons...still moaning and bytchin..about some shyt that happened literally 13 YEARS ago...how bout this?..just don't listen to the nikka no more...u and Big Mel..instead of constantly postin in every NAS thread like he's the dad that walked out on yall...

if nas did not give away the blueprint on making sellout jiggy/commercial records.

we would NOT BE WHERE WE ARE NOW.

hat is what you are forgetting.

nas was the lynchpin between the golden to the sales spike era.

when he sold out,...it destroyed the ability to keep it true, culturally amd sell records.

if nas would have stayed true,...when the hiphop influenced marketing boom came from leo burnett and reg know.

he would have been able to make a sellable non commercial mainstream sentimen based album. which would have kept everything in sync.

as the culture fought to rid itself of the previous guard of mainstream sellouts in vanilla ice/hammer.

since he did not, nas reversed the effects of them being ostracized and allowed the largest gaping hole in the business of rap. till pretty much the dark ages we are in now.

that is what you are missing,.....plus on top of that he wrote the top selling jiggy record as well.

which caused even more considerable damage.

art barr

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
these guys will never forgive Nas for not living up to the monk they wanted Nas to be. it's like some religious scorned disciple story, and cute in that way

bigesco

Pro
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
i would like to lol att the rant where you try to qualify the overproduced sellout iww as a top twenty album.

if you make a statement that offbrand,...you better come with a rant, motherfukker.

art barr

To me it is , I dont care what other people think. Its all different tastes really.

But Id like to see 20 albums that are better in terms of beats lyrics concepts innovation creativity

I agree wit the cats that say its a drop off but come on the album is still ridiculous cept for Nas Is coming:snoop:

Its the same thing with Infamous & HOE. When I first heard HOE I was disappointed. Its such a drastic drop off from Infamous but all things considered, it's still a 5 mic classic.

HOE & IWW are very similar albums to me. Lyrically they may be better than their predecessors and more creative & innovative(HOE with the beats) but sonically, they dont come close to the best 2 albums ever. But its all relative.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Illmatic vs. It Was Written
=
Ready To Die vs. Life After Death

the scenarios are almost exactly the same, their second albums received identical complaints when they first came out by "hip hop heads" because the first ones were such dirty and gritty masterpieces. the second ones were fire too, just fresh and clean fire, threw them hip hop heads off a little bit