Joe Budden and Crooked I say "It Was Written" was even better than "Illmatic"

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
a lot of songs on illmatic were just rappin ass rappin though, or had a concept but were all over place(ny state of mind, memory lane second verse, the world is yours).

they are?

Represent doesn't execute his childhood beautifully in QB?

One Love doesn't do it's job?

NY State Of Mind & Memory Lane don't follow their themes?

also, rapping just to rapping is a good thing at times.

One Time 4 your mind executes more skill and enjoyability with his freestyle flow than that half baked esco steez all over IWW.

also, Nas started getting boring on IWW. like remembering the words no longer became essential. i started humming along to some.

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
street dream = pac jack

watch dem nikkas = quiet storm, gentle beat

affirmative action = nauseating, generic Spanish guitar beat w/foxy verse

if i ruled the world = weak, sellout single

the message = gentle ass trackmasterz rehash of a sting song

suspect has a boring beat

live nikka rap sounds like a mobb deep song featuring Nas

nas is coming is nas is coming

the only grade A moments on the album are:

take it in blood

i gave you power

black girl lost

live nikka rap was a mobb deep song, and nas bought it from them

suspect is ill, and interms of free rhyming shyts on it ain't hard to tell, halftime etc

the message is one of nas' best instumentals

affirmative action is a dope posse cut

watch dem nikkas is of nas' most underrated songs

nas is comming was whack, but still dope lyrically.

if i ruled the world is one of the best cross over songs

street dreams was mad vivid, people were just put off by the video(which had nothing to do with the songs content).

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
suspect has such a boring beat that i couldn't even entertain you claiming it's better than the double headed monsters Halftime & It Aint To Tell. the two songs that blew him up.

the message & watch dem nikkaz are both good songs but super fragile production wise. all gentle and friendly and gussied up by poke & tone to be more palatable to a gateway fan.

hey, it worked!

smh.

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they are?

Represent doesn't execute his childhood beautifully in QB?

One Love doesn't do it's job?

NY State Of Mind & Memory Lane don't follow their themes?

also, rapping just to rapping is a good thing at times.

One Time 4 your mind executes more skill and enjoyability with his freestyle flow than that half baked esco steez all over IWW.

also, Nas started getting boring on IWW. like remembering the words no longer became essential. i started humming along to some.

they follow their themes, but are all over the place. one love and life's a bytch were the only songs that were completely cohesive IMO.

on top of that, i was listening to "just another day in the projects", and wondering how the hell they missed how great that would have been if he had done it over with his updated skill.

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
is flow on IWW is way better and controlled btw.

and everything your saying doesn't change that fact that he performed better on that album than illmatic.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
he didn't though. Illmatic is perfect. you can SAY you think otherwise but it doesn't make it any truer than what i've said.

you can't find a flaw in Illmatic. the writing is more earnest and raw and as skilled in every way but doesn't contain the pretension and clamoring to play dress up ganster post Biggie. the production is purer. it is considered his landmark achievement by everyone who counts.

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i pointed out flaws though. him not being able to stay on topic is a flaw. also it's kinda short. and a lot of people think one time for your mind isn't up to par with the rest of the album.

the production was purer but it was written still had dope production, save nas is coming. represent and one time for your mind definately have more boring production than suspect. it was written is probably the most cinematic album of all time, besides life after death. stop being overly purist. lol

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Represent is boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where the fukk am i?

and i don't agree with this staying on topic as the benchmark for perfection.

so then all those boring gangster rappers who spit trite tales of murder should be the best of all time according to you.

MC Eiht > Ghostface

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
I dont think it's necessarily better..but I dont hate on people who say so..cause like I said..ALOT of people became Nas fans off the strength of IWW and like the fact that it's a lil less raw sounding...

I became a GOAT fan off IWW...was the very first album I heard from Nas. Thought it was the best thing since sliced bread...then I heard Illmatic..........:noah:

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
people tend to ride represent because it's primo production i feel.

mc8 isn't better than ghostface. but nas, jay, biggie and az were better lyrically on their mafioso albums than rae and ghost on the purple tape, the purple tape was backed by rza which made it unbeatable overall.

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism
i pointed out flaws though. him not being able to stay on topic is a flaw. also it's kinda short. and a lot of people think one time for your mind isn't up to par with the rest of the album.

the production was purer but it was written still had dope production, save nas is coming. represent and one time for your mind definately have more boring production than suspect. it was written is probably the most cinematic album of all time, besides life after death. stop being overly purist. lol

Sorry to cherry pick your post you and Mel are engaged in a debate right now but:

With regards to the bolded I disagree it's not too short at all, that essentially is the beauty of it, it keeps the album fresh, it also avoids any filler.

I've never heard people say Straight Outta Compton was too short.