Joe Budden and Crooked I say "It Was Written" was even better than "Illmatic"

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm not in the business of denying myself music that my ears enjoy simply because it goes against the greater good of hip hop.

IWW is just kinda dull.

that Lupe Fiasco, Joe Budden & Crooked I, Three of the most unremarkable "skilled" rappers of the moment champion the record speaks volumes.

i cosign the first sentence 100% and i can respect everything in bold, i can understand how/why you feel that way, but, Lupe Fiasco is unremarkable? you are out of your damn mind homie. dude is the best mc who isn't a legend in the business

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Lupe Fiasco is the opposite of everything rap is supposed to be IMO. I like joe Budden and crooked I more than Lupe and they bore the shyt out of me.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lupe Fiasco is the opposite of everything rap is supposed to be IMO.

wow, those are strong words mane. the kid is unreal nice to me, i don't see how that can ever be a bad thing. budden and crooked i aren't nearly as skilled, to me.

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
And I've always said that LAD was better then ready to die too

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lupe is not commanding. Like, you could mush his face and he'd go away. That isn't hip hop to me.

tell that to Pete Rock, ha. Lupe basically told him to take his half assed apology and stick it up his ass and proceeded to scold him, :pacspit:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
this is my feeling too, alright he was on some bullsh1t for 4,5 years... but post stillmatic he's had his head straight while everyone else was going insane

It was more like 2 years...I Am.. wasnt SUPPOSED to be what it was and Nastradamus wasnt supposed to come out...nikkas bootlegged his shyt to death and it turned out different....nikkas can't bring up oochie wally cause it wasnt his song...and all his songs on QB finest was opposite of that...its like..if u was around during that time...u woulda seen all the shyt he was doin on mixtapes...unreleased shyt and projects that didn't turn into albums and see he still had it...most of the Lost Tapes was from that era and that was one of his best releases in his career...the nikkas rhymes was always on par...and Nas has always been treated with hypocrisy...and u right...the nikka been on a great path as far as integrity since stillmatic and nikkas is just still salty at him...Art Barr called UNTITLED a commercial album for God sake..these nikkas is just bitter...and I respect both Big Mel and Art Barr...even tho I dont always agree with them...them type of knowledgeable hip hop posters are needed on sites like this..

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I've always felt the same way about Nas - son is unquestionably a legend, period. But it isn't like Mel and Art are reconstructing history to fit their personal sensibilities when they point out how IWW was perceived by a significant number of people. And at the time, rapping over Kurtis Blow's shyt with L-Boogie on the hook was petty much a transparent cheeseball move.

only in the eyes of people who labeled themselves purists, yet not realizing that they themselves werent in line with the original hip-hoppers. "if i ruled the world" is more in line with the foundation of hip-hop than anything on illmatic. plus it was an ode to pioneers kurtis blow & whodini, and was also probably the most conscious record in regular radio rotation.

thats what always urked me back then. i mean, i dont mess with this album, but thats because i think its bland, overhyped and it was just another album to me back then. but i always gave the :childplease: to the sellout talk.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Kurtis Blow was wack. Ol Billy Ocean faced, jherri curl juice singing cornball.

And you don't straight jack a hip hop classic like Friends in 1996 and get props. Friends is one of the best records of the early 80s. At least chop the shyt like Prodigy and BG did.

That song was a bad idea. It sounded shiny.

Even PAC made it sound grimier somehow.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
man,...most of the concepts and mores of this culture you don't understand.
as you have no connection to the other pillars mores or norms.

most of the stuff i discuss was originally ex'd out in graf from arthouses.

looking to take graf in an erroneous culturally divisive direction.

also,...the loss of breaking as a domestic large draw.

is attributed to breaking as a drawing industry.

losing its drawing potency and permeation from this cultural erosion,..

which are attributed to personalities and errant commercialized moves.

that destroyed the public and cultural sentiment.

that made breaking a draw,...

in the same manner, rap has also done the same.

then, watched these errant commercialized directives ruin its once potent mainstream draw as well.

these are simple old lessons,..anyone really into hiphop really already knows.

keeping it true is built into to that.

the same keeping it true perspective that missed you,...thinking you are above it,..and don't know and not aware.

it is what humanizes and exposes you to someone really apart of this culture.

art barr

is a bboy,..and part of the culture of hiphop,..for real

You're good at going off on points that don't matter to the discussion at hand at all.
I like It Was Written.
You want the last word ? Fine ! You can have it.
Because I'm definitely not about to get 20 posts in here arguing MY opinion.
You can try that "If you like It Was Written You not Hip Hop SON !" sh1t somewhere else.
And I know you're going to quote me, go ahead.

As for that other discussion going on.
I personally think Crooked and Joey are easily just as good as Lu.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State

And you don't straight jack a hip hop classic like Friends in 1996 and get props. Friends is one of the best records of the early 80s. At least chop the shyt like Prodigy and BG did.

Whodini cosigned Nas. A lot of people who listened to song didn't even know about Whodini.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Like who? The same crowd of tweeners in here who's first rap album was IWW?

Friends is a monster song off a gold album. It's a seminal jam.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

What?...chop the shyt up shyt like P?..that shyt was damn near IDENTICAL to the original version...and it doesnt even sample the same old.school songs in discussion....see..this is that favortism nitpicking shyt I was talkin bout...and Pac made that shyt sound WAY more grimey...but that's cause he wanted to make a grimey song...If I Ruled The World was a concious song...it wasn't supposed to sound grimey...